Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corgitrbl

Malvern Hills David Austin Rose

corgitrbl
12 years ago

Does anyone have any comments on this rose? It takes my breath away and is just what I am looking for to go up against a large fence.

J

Comments (11)

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Perhaps in a harsher climate, it may remain manageable. In Valencia, CA, Zone 9b, it was an enormous plant with too little flower for the quantity of plant. It wanted to grow fifteen feet into the neighbor's white birch tree, where it would flower in long panicles of blooms which faded from the yellowish tones to white, then crisp petals which fell off quickly, all on one day. I believe it's a lot better where temps are lower, perhaps with a bit of shade from the hottest sun. It grew too well, required being a huge plant before producing much flower and was just too large for the back garden, period. In that climate, it was totally healthy, just not enough color, nor lasting enough for the mountain of plant it demanded to be. After battling it for several years, I pulled it out and sent it to the great landfill in the sky. Kim

• caldonbeck
    12 years ago

It is a rambler or tall climber - it will want to get big. It is a 12 foot thing over here. I haven't grown it but have seen it at DA rose gardens. It is big there - I presume it will be bigger over there.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

MUCH bigger! Allster Stella Gray is similar to what I expected from Malvern Hills, only in a much more easily controlled plant with SIGNIFICANTLY more bloom at a much smaller size. ASG doesn't require yards of growth before it flowers. Kim

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

Mine is huge but blooms reasonably well. It's only two years old and I am hoping for increased bloom as it matures. However, it does bleach in the sun.

Rosefolly

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    6 years ago

I'm mulling a DA order. Any updates on this rose? Does it repeat well? What's the fragrance like?

I already have 'Ghislaine de Feligonde', which it seems somewhat similar to? If I have one, do I need the other?

Thanks,

Chris

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

Chris, I'm sorry for going OT here, but does your GdF repeat well, and if so from where did you buy yours. I really want this, but ARE says it's basically a once bloomer.

• romogen
    6 years ago

So far, I haven’t been impressed by my plant of MALVERN HILLS. I wish I had gotten SNOW GOOSE instead. I do like the superior rebloom of KEW GARDENS and THE ALBRIGHTON RAMBLER, but they’re still new plants in my garden going into their sophomore year....

• User
    6 years ago

For me, 'GdeF' has two flushes, one main one and a second in late August/September that is sort of half flush of the other, but then carries on with scattered later blooms until December almost.. I find it a very graceful rambler.

Malvern Hills has a main flush here from June 1st to mid July, when the rambler is spectacular. Then it carries on continuously producing scattered blooms, until late, on the ends of long new shoots and some shorter ones. At this time you might feel you have too much of a rambler and not enough bloom going on, but you can't have everything, and most ramblers are once bloomers, so I think it should be looked upon as a bonus.. it has a light fresh scent..

If this rose isn't kept under control, for us here, it will be in excess of 20 foot, a good 30 feet I should think quite easily, but it can be kept in check. It's a noisette hybrid and the smallish deep yellow blooms have that charming look about them... the foliage is quite large and covers the plant by cascading down to the ground, covering the lower trunk and giving a semi tropical effect, I think..

The young thorns are cherry red turning brown later. I found them quite attractive. It's not overly thorny.

I had both roses, but 'MH' got a little bit too much for me, so I only have the other, which is of more manageable growth, but still monstrous enough if permitted..

That's my tuppence worth for you Chris...

• nikthegreek
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Romogen,

There has been a parallel discussion about Kew Gardens and whether it is any good in climates warmer than zone 8. What has been your experience up to date?

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    6 years ago

“Tuppence is tuppence” :)

Thanks for the updates! This seems like a beautiful rose with many qualities, but I think I will hold off for now. I’m not sure I really have the room for such a large plant.

-Chris