Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetgrey

Bishop's Castle

ms. violet grey
9 years ago

Is it a must-have? Every photo posted of this rose is so beautiful.
Post more please!

Comments (18)

• buford
    9 years ago

It's beautiful and has a great fragrance.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

My mom picked one up recently. I took this picture on a recent visit and it is the only one I have actually. I can't speak to habit, health, or the more important qualities of Bishop's Castle, but it is a pretty bloom with a good fragrance. The clumps are Campanula medium I believe.

Jay

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I love my Bishops Castle, but here in CA it is closer to 6 feet tall so take that in to account when placing.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    9 years ago

Last summer, my bands of B.C. demonstrated that they are rather heat tolerant, and the fragrance is very nice. My three plants are still babies. Here's an image of the bloom.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 8:43

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Mine is also heat-tolerant and quite fragrant, and it is also a good cut flower. At the moment it's having mildew issues, but so are many others in my garden. Unlike some of the other roses, the mildew doesn't affect the beauty of the blooms. I keep mine trimmed short by cutting the branches down quite a bit when I deadhead.

Ingrid

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Might be my best pink Austin.

{{gwi:255345}}

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Loaded with buds today. Noticed that the ones at the local nursery were too.

• ms. violet grey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautiful pictures!

I am thinking of placing an online order at David Austin as a potted rose.
    Has anyone ordered in this manner from them? I am staying away from bareroots. Are there potted selections larger than a band? Own-root?

Roses Unlimited does not carry this rose this year. I don't see it on Chamblee's website.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

The pictures on the site of the gift container roses reminds me of the sort that my mom got her Bishop's Castle in. I think it's a 3 gallon container that's somewhat vertically oriented and in the usual David Austin green with insignia. The plants seemed like slightly grown out bare roots that were being sold in the 3 gallon containers. I could be wrong of course.

Jay

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Mauve what about calling and seeing if they shipped to any nurseries near you? It seems like several places carries them in pots near enough to me. I have driven an hour to pick them up too, then I can pick the plant I like. Maybe non box store nurseries near you carry them too. At the place that is a drive, I buy on sale (same price as the locals but bigger variety) I spent under $30 for 5g pots

• nikthegreek
    9 years ago

BC is another heat tolerant DA rose which is not available in Europe... We are dominated by what's good for the English climate.
    Nik

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    9 years ago

My BC is 2 years old. It didn't seem to grow much last year and I kept it disbudded. This year - it is putting out lots of new growth and covered with blooms. I am starting to see why it is so well thought of. Another I like is Princess Anne. Same thing, its first year just sort of treaded water. Now, lots of growth and blooms. Guess its really true - first year they sleep, next year they creep, third year they leap. England's Rose is another nice one - tho its not gotten as big as the above two. It sure wants to bloom a lot - I think once it gets bigger, it is really going to be a bloom producer. I plan to put a couple of shovelfuls of manure compost on them - this seems to really make them take off.
    Judith

• ms. violet grey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update: My potted Bishop's Castle order arrived this morning. The box was huge and so was the rose. I was very impressed. On the website, pictures of their potted containers gave me the impression that I was ordering something around the size of a band. More like a nearly 3 ft tall rose with buds ready to bloom. The extra cost is slight yet worth the difference. Bishop's Castle is now in the ground. To my delight, we are expecting a little rain today!!!

I remember how disappointed I was (nearly 2 years ago) when I received my first and only bareroot, Young Lycidas. At the time, little did I know, how quickly a bareroot forms leaves again!

• ms. violet grey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update: This rose is gorgeous!!! Lovely form and scent wafts.
    Multiple buds waiting to open this weekend.

I ordered Bishop's Castle directly from David Austin.
    Not many sources are listed on HMF.

• buford
    9 years ago

Awhile back, J&P offered a few Austins own root. I got Bishop's Castle, Jubilee Celebration, CPM, Falstaff and Golden Celebration. BC has done the best, but they are all beautiful roses.

• DrPekeMom
    9 years ago

A wonderful rose!!

{{gwi:255346}}

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I couldn't resist buying a second BC when I was told I could order it at a local nursery (along with Yves Piaget), and even now in this awful hot weather it's full of buds, and my original BC also has buds in addition to its blooms. I do water and mulch them well, but the return is well worth it when not that many roses are blooming during the heat. SdlM, Potter and Moore, Mutabilis, Belinda's Dream and La France are also carrying on, and surprisingly my fairly new Reine De Violettes is giving me a bloom here and there.

Ingrid