Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
light colored bloom on Excellenz Von Schubert

Posted by gardennatlanta z7atlantaGA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 20:35

My 4 year old Excellenz Von Schubert has some light colored blooms on it. The picture is not very good--taken with my phone. They are a mix of white and light pink--very different from the dark pink of the normal blooms. They also don't seem to have the same intense fragrance that the normal blooms have. I've never seen this before.

Has anyone else had this happen? Is this just weather?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: light colored bloom on Excellenz Von Schubert

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 8:44

This is called a "sport'. It's a slight genetic mutation that happens naturally in roses. Sometimes it will be just one bloom and never return. Other times the entire cane has the mutation and will continue to bloom the different color. That is called a stable sport and is responsible for some new varieties of roses being introduced.

If you want you can mark that cane and see if it does it again. If so you may want to take some cuttings and root them and see if it continues to be the new bloom color. Then you'll have your very own new variety of rose!

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 8:45

This is called a "sport'. It's a slight genetic mutation that happens naturally in roses. Sometimes it will be just one bloom and never return. Other times the entire cane has the mutation and will continue to bloom the different color. That is called a stable sport and is responsible for some new varieties of roses being introduced.

If you want you can mark that cane and see if it does it again. If so you may want to take some cuttings and root them and see if it continues to be the new bloom color. Then you'll have your very own new variety of rose!

o

While it may be a sport (mutation), it very likely isn't. EvS has a strong multiflora background. The flowers can vary greatly in color due to temps, nutrients and the amount of light it receives. As Seil suggested, you can mark the cane in case it does it regularly so you can propagate it should you have a lighter colored mutation, but very likely the further blooms will be the color you expect them to be. Kim

o

It does that fairly often. In fact, most of the multiflora-ish roses I've grown do that from time-to-time. As Kim said. :-)

o

Thanks everyone. While I was hoping to hear the word "sport", I'm not surprised to hear that it's the weather or something else equally mundane.

o

Multiflora is highly susceptible to chlorosis, the lack of iron (and sometimes nitrogen). The most common cause here is the alkalinity of our soil and water. If for any reason, the plant was deprived of either of those nutrients, or the temps were just off enough when the bud was formed, it's going to be lighter colored. I frequently had to heavily amend the soil to acidify it to keep my heavily multiflora based roses their right colors. Many other types are also susceptible to the issue. I had chronic chlorosis (and light colored flowers and foliage) on Blue Mist, Reine des Violettes and a number of others for a long time in the old Newhall garden. Now, I just don't grow them if they have the issue. A client has Gartendirektor Otto Linne which FREQUENTLY throws chlorotic canes and nearly white flowers. I told her if it offends her, cut it off. Otherwise, leave it alone and once the appropriate nutrients and temps arrive together, it will green up. Kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here