Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocknroses

Pat Austin/LadyEmmaH/CPM

At Otto & Sons today I saw all three of these in bloom.
Pat Austin actually looked better in real life than she does in the catalogue (didn't think that was possible since I've always assumed the catalogue photos were doctored). However, almost all the comments I've read on her here are thumbs-down, in this climate at least. Has anyone had luck with her in SoCal away from the coast?
As an alternative, I'm thinking about Lady Emma Hamilton or Crown Princess Margareta. CPM looked a little washed out and more blah than in pictures. There was only one LEH, she was out in the discount ghetto, but she looked healthy. Anyone grow these?
I need whichever rose I choose to be from 5' to 8' high and/or wide. It'll be going in back of my three small Tamoras.
Thanks,
Sylvia

Comments (14)

• msjam2
    9 years ago

I love my Pat Austin. I'm looking into adding LEH in the fall.
    Pat glows and who couod resist the fragrance!

• prickles
    9 years ago

LEH stays compact for me, about 3ft x 3ft. she make a nice full round bush. Luscious fragrance, beautiful flowers and colors, beautifully colored leaves, generous spring flush and good repeat--not as good as Pat in repreat--LEH appreciates some afternoon shade. I personally like LEH better than Pat.

• nikthegreek
    9 years ago

In my med climate Pat is very healthy and thriving if she is provided with enough water. Her blooms fry though unless she receives morning sun only. Even then they won't last long in the heat of the summer but at this moment, her first flush looks wonderful and has been going on for weeks with no signs of stopping. Long weak stems and necks are her trademark so if you're looking for an upright growing and blooming rose maybe you shoud look elsewhere.
    Nik

This post was edited by nikthegreek on Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 1:19

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

CPM gets enormous in So Cal. Just so you know.

• mzstitch
    9 years ago

We are in different zones but Lady Emma is a slow grower for me. She is three years old now and still under three feet tall, I even cut all her buds off last spring to see if she would put her energy into growing taller, and instead she just spent most of her energy creating new buds so I think she really prefers to stay small. I love the color of her foliage though, and her blooms are beautiful. I just wish I had planted her in front of some of my taller Austins instead of against my fence.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Did you see 'The Lark Ascending'?

That and 'Tranquility' seem both pretty and different for Austin. Tranquility was loaded with buds and green-green foliage. It will be smaller and lighter.

The Lark Ascending is listed on DA at 5 feet, guessing here in SoCal it will be much taller. Fewer petals, but still a very nice looking plant. I think I will go and check them out again at the local nursery and see how they are doing.

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kippy, somehow I missed "Lark." I'll look again next time.
    I love "Tranquillity" in the catalogue. A white rose is not impossible in that spot; that's why I liked Francis Meilland.

LEH sounds and looks great, but I need big and/or tall. CPM is perhaps a better bet, but again, it sure looked pale and faded out there.

Nik, my spot for this rose is against a light-colored wall where she will get all-day sun. So Pat A. is out. All the comments on the regular Roses forum were negative for her in this climate, although the photos (thank you, msjam2!) were magnificent.

Right now I have to forget about roses and everything else for 24-36 hours and just concentrate on chicken soup, matzo balls, and cleaning the house before twelve guests arrive tomorrow night ... Ay yi yi!
    Sylvia

• labrea_gw
    9 years ago

I love Pat I've had it 11 years it gets very tall unless kept back & it fries in the heat. Great in Spring & Fall but 95 to 100 she fries

• redsox_gw
    9 years ago

I have LEH and I have been disappointed and wish I bought Pat instead. I have LEH in very full sun and a good spot. The flowers are fragrant and nicely colored but not plentiful. Pretty sparse, actually.

• roseteacher
    9 years ago

I have LEH as a rose tree. She does seem to take a little more care, but when she blooms it's amazing. Beautiful orange flowers with a very citrusy scent. She is one of my favorites.

My neighbor just bought Tranquility, and I am excited to see how she grows in our hot, dry climate.

Lisa

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again, everybody! While we were at Otto & Sons, DH actually commented on rose trees and their elegance (as a rule he thinks I am a madwoman, but apparently he finds it amusing to indulge my insanity. Many of us have been there ... :) -- so maybe one of these days I'll surprise him with a row of LEH trees along our driveway!
    I've always loved rose trees but their high price has put me off to date. Someday.
    Sylvia

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    9 years ago

I agree that Pat Austin hates the hot sunshine. I have to give mine a parasol in summer.
    Lady Emma Hamilton however, is in full sun all day in my garden. She has made a very shapely bush about 5 feet tall by 4 feet wide. She flowers profusely all summer and even in winter she flowers well. Her perfume is gorgeous.
    Daisy

{{gwi:255809}}

• nikthegreek
    9 years ago

Daisy, do get mildew on your LEH? Mine is this season's bareroot, is blooming it's heads off but has been a victim of serious mildew attack. I just hope she will grow out of it.
    Nik

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    9 years ago

Nik Lady Emma Hamilton has never had even a hint of powdery mildew. Even though, at this time of year, it is on a lot of my roses.
    I have 2 new tiny LEH in pots as well.
    They are showing a tiny amount of black spot now. I am not too worried about that though, as I know it will disappear as the weather warms up.
    Daisy

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm