Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fogrose

Anyone growing the Alba Blush Hip?

fogrose
9 years ago

Would appreciate hearing about shade tolerance for Blush Hip. Mine is in a 5gal pot and getting ready to plant and am not sure where to put it.

Thanks for any advice.

Diane

Comments (18)

• belmont8
    9 years ago

I am not sure about shade tolerance because mine has always been in full sun. I CAN tell you this rose suckers like crazy for me! It made a clump about 5 feet in diameter and 4 feet tall after 3 or 4 years.

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Diane, BH takes shade fairly well as I recall. I have a grafted one from Pickering that I just received. I don't grow many grafted roses, but after reading Belmont's note, perhaps it's well that my BH is grafted. Maybe we can compare notes later. Mine will likely be planted in shade. Carol

• fogrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Belmont and Carol for your responses.

I'm hoping for mine to climb. Maybe the shade will help. Will report on progress.

Diane

• gothiclibrarian
    9 years ago

I've had 1 in part-shade for 2 years now own-root and have a 2nd smaller own-root plant in an even heavier shaded spot. Very hardy. Suckers. Does get powdery mildew (might be because of the levels of shade I've got her i). The more shaded plant is shorter but both plants are still young so I am not going to assume anything just yet.

The taller is a big 'loose' bush for me in 5b...she's got a couple 6 foot canes this year I'm going to train onto a fence that tried (and failed) to kill her this winter and see if I can't get her to climb further.

She's lovely, I hope you enjoy!

~Anika

• fogrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Anika, sounds perfect to me.

Diane

• mariannese
    9 years ago

The Blush Hip sold by European nurseries is probably Blush Damask, at least in Germany and Scandinavia. Does Blush Hip set hips in the US?

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Mariannese, I'm trying to remember, but I can't recall. My most recent BH came from Pickering in Canada. I wonder what they sell.

Diane, from which nursery did you acquire your BH? Maybe we have Blush Damask? If so, I probably grew the same rose in the past, thinking it was BH. It grew in partial shade. Interesting....

Carol

• professorroush
    9 years ago

I grow it, but it full sun. once-a-year bloomer about 3 feet high. 'Blush Hip' doesn't, in my experience, form hips.

• gothiclibrarian
    9 years ago

My 2 Blush Hips are from RVR.

I actually haven't noticed hips...but I've never questioned the class because the growth is so similar to my Blanche de Belgiques (and not dissimilar from my Maiden's Blush either).

Who knows though.

~Anika

• fogrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My Blush Hip is from Heirloom. This is it's first year with flowers so I don't know yet about hips. I expect here it will get fairly large. Looks very graceful in a 5 gal pot. Will plant it once the roots fill out the pot.

Diane

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Diane, I'll bet my last BH came from Heirloom, too. I grew a whole herd of Heirloom OGRs back in the day. So, if my BH thrived in partial shade, yours probably will too. Mine received no DIRECT sun but did receive reflected light. I think of you each time I plant a rose in the shade. I'm pushing a number of my albas and gallicas in that direction as I redesign my beds. I just moved Rosa Mundi and The Apothecary's Rose to darn shady corners. We can keep our fingers crossed for each other's successful rose noir adventures. Carol

• fogrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rose noir adventures indeed! Carol that's a perfect name for our madcap gardening. Especially since I am also a Film Noir fan as well.

Rosa Mundi and Apothecary are good choices for your attempts. Both are budded up and ready to bloom for me. Can't wait.

Madame Plantier, Belle Amour, Francis E. Lester and Lyda Rose are others doing well in part shade. I also recently received Greenmantle, an Eglantine from Rogue Valley which lists it as VERY shade tolerant. Really pretty single and growing well and blooming a bit already.

Diane

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions, Diane! I'm relieved to hear that your Rosa Mundi and Apothecary are budding well. I so hope mine do the same next year. Tom and I rent film noirs every weekend from a local movie store called Movie Madness. I can't believe we haven't seen every noir ever made, but the store gets new arrivals monthly. If it ever offers internet video services, you will be in noir heaven! :-) Carol

• fogrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You're welcome, Carol

Now get ready to swoon. This website has lots of noirs to watch for free:

http://viooz.co/

YouTube also has a lot of noirs. Roses by day and film noir at night.

Diane

Here is a link that might be useful: film noir

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Diane, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. :-) Carol

• fogrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Indeed, Carol!

Rick couldn't have said it any better. : >

Diane

• gothiclibrarian
    9 years ago

I remembered that there was some confusion in this thread about whether people's Blush Hip are "really" Blush Damask.

{{gwi:256087}}

Does this help? Probably not. I'll be sure to check for hips later this year, I know I haven't bothered to check before.

I will say that she has a lovely 'mossy' scent if you rub her buds...much stronger than the other albas hanging out in my garden...though my Great Maiden's Blush has it too.

Cheers!
    ~Anika

This post was edited by gothiclibrarian on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 9:39

• melissa_thefarm
    9 years ago

This question of whether 'Blush Hip' is actually 'Blush Damask' interests me. I've had 'Blush Hip' in a difficult corner of the garden for several years, and it never looked particularly like an Alba to me, but I knew that some roses classed as Albas don't conform to the basic model ('Queen of Denmark', 'Belle Amour'). My plant came from Schultheis in Germany. It's a thorny plant with glands on the buds, floppy. I can't judge how much it would sucker as it's only just getting off its rootstock. It looks more like a Damask than like an Alba at any rate. I don't have an official plant of 'Blush Damask' in the garden to compare it with, and it's been a decade since I saw 'Blush Hip' at Roseto Carla Fineschi.
    I took a look at the photos of 'Blush Hip' on HMF. The rose in the photos just posted by Menja show decidedly Alba-like foliage, while Altora's photos show a different rose that looks like it could be a Damask. Then I went to look at HMF photos of 'Blush Hip', and couldn't say whether this is my rose. Confusion all over, in other words. Marianne, would you care to add to your previous comment about the ID of this rose?
    Melissa