Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
About getting rid of Virginia Creeper

Posted by anntn6b z6b TN (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 08 at 21:54

The first time I ever saw Virginia Creeper was at the Evangeline memorial in Nova Scotia. It was fall and Virginia Creeper covered the walls of the chapel with vibrant red fall leaves. It was also the first time Id seen deep herbaceous borders at the height of their fall bloom. I wanted both.
Be careful what you wish for.
I now have Virginia Creeper. It comes up easily thanks to avian deposition with just the right amount of fertilizer.
I have Virginia Creeper in two rose beds. One with my large polyanthas. The other with Hybrid Musks, Pauls Himalayan Musk, Heiderloslein and assorted bulbs at the base of a mature walnut tree.
In neither bed is it possible to dig the VC out. Too much root competition. Too much potential damage to established roses.

I am afraid of using systemic herbicides; weve lost some roses due to root to root transmission of herbicides among woody plants.
Aside from just cutting the VC back time after time after time, has anyone got a secret to getting rid of this otherwise lovely vine?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: About getting rid of Virginia Creeper

you have to pull it..the roots are runners, but come up fairly easily..pull..pull..pulll..then go back at it when it reappears..you can eradicate it in 2 seasons if you keep at it. not what you wanted to hear, probably, but that's how i got rid of mine. donna

o
getting rid of Virginia Creeper

Donna,
I'm just grateful to have someone say that it can be eradicated without herbicides and that low tech worked for them.
Ann

o

I have also heard that if you keep pulling or cutting it back and then allow it to form a single new leaf---you will need precious little herbicide to finish the roots. The idea being the plant is starving for sunlight from the constant pulling and cutting and then when it finally gets that first leaf it is very dependant on it for survival. A small bit of herbicide to that single leaf will finish the plant.

Now I dont claim to be a scientist....but I did use this method with English Ivy and it worked. YMMV

:o)

Ronda

o

• Posted by jody 7b - NC (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 18, 08 at 7:18

I got rid of it in Hixson by pulling and pulling and pulling and pulling. I finally got it down to two "roots", the mother plants and then worked on them with a weed stick. It took several seasons and a certain amount of obsession.

o

Ditto. I've been fighting to reclaim my big hill from the junk that grew after the builders cleared it. I spend every winter pulling up every thorny viney invasive thing I don't want. I admit I let the honey suckle go a bit because I do like it, but I cut it back as soon as it blooms. Now that the pine trees we planted are taking over and shading everything, it's getting a bit better.

Frankly I'd rather have poison ivy than virginia creeper or these freaking brambles I have. It's easier to get rid of.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here