Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northtexasdude

new to noisettes

northtexasdude
13 years ago

(moved this over from the Rose forum).

I couldn't be more happy that my 5 year old rose garden is doing well, and I am ready to expand. I have recently discovered the joy of noisettes, thanks to a very large Blush Noisette growing at a nearby house. I have an extremely long side yard that I am planning to put a Blush Noisette, but have room for about 2 more biggies. Any suggestions for other Noisettes? I'm in DFW zone8. very sunny spot. This is an extremely large area where the bushes will be allowed to get very large. No supports. I guess my overall question is, what are your favorite 3 noisettes that you would put side by side?

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• jerijen
    13 years ago

My personal favorites are the Tea-Noisettes, and those tend to have a climbing habit.
    Most of the found Noisettes are of the Blush Noisette "family," and so will look much alike.

A personal favorite among the Blush Noisette "types" is "Roseville Noisette," a sort of dwarf type. It was collected in Roseville, CA, is grown at the Sacramento City Cemetery, and -- alas -- is not in commerce.

Jeri

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    13 years ago

Madam Alfred Carriere doesn't need to grow up anything. If you have the room she can just grow as a free standing shrub.
    What a sight that would be!
    Daisy

• catsrose
    13 years ago

There is a very nice little book, "Noisette Roses," put out by the Charleston Horticultural Society. It's a bit pricey for its size, but high gloss color photos and an a very good table describing most of the noisettes available. Its worth having and the money is for a good cause. Also, Vintage Gardens and Roses Unlimited have very good selections of Noisettes.

• jacqueline9CA
    13 years ago

I agree about the noisette book - I would run and get it if I were you.

I have a suggestion which is not a noisette for that space - it is a tea/china (or a tea, or a china - the experts disagree) called Le Vesuve. Look it up on HMF - it has large pink flowers - medium pink mixed with pale pink. It supports itself, and my 5 yr old one is over 8 ft tall, and 7-8 ft wide and deep. Starts blooming in March and doesn't stop until Dec.

Jackie

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

I have Mrs. Woods Lavender Pink Noisette and love the colors and shape of the flowers. If you look in the antique gallery section I have a thread further down (don't remember the name) where the first picture is of this rose. Mine is a younger rose, about five feet tall, with an arching, graceful growth habit. I've also heard great things about Natchitoches Noisette. There's a gorgeous specimen in the Sacramento Cemetery Rose Garden.

Ingrid

• User
    13 years ago

A personal favorite among the Blush Noisette "types" is "Roseville Noisette," a sort of dwarf type. It was collected in Roseville, CA, is grown at the Sacramento City Cemetery, and -- alas -- is not in commerce.

I'd love to have "Roseville Noisette." Just curious as to why people think it's not in commerce. Vintage is reasonably close to Sacramento. Do they think it wouldn't sell?

• seil zone 6b MI
    13 years ago

Vintage has a lot of things that you can have custom rooted but it comes with a hefty price and a 2 year wait. But it is nice to know they're there if you want one. It probably isn't practical for them to have everything available all of the time. They must have thousands of roses listed in their inventory!

• User
    13 years ago

Vintage does not have "Roseville Noisette" listed as a Custom Root. If they did, I'd have placed an order a long time ago. So, I'm assuming they don't have it at all.

• greybird
    13 years ago

My favorite noisettes are Natchitoches Noisette and Jeanne d'Arc. They don't have the winter dieback that teas have and bloom their hearts out in the oppressive heat here in north Texas. I have a lot of noisettes and both of these have something special IMHO.

New to my garden is Secret Garden Noisette, blooms like crazy and has future favorite written all over it.

If you want monster giant, Mm. Alfred Carriere is your best bet. Jaune Deprez is another tea-noisette that is a winner, but like most yellow-types, is not as hardy.

• northtexasdude
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone! I have ordered these roses:
    -Blush Noisette
    -Reve d'or
    -Mme Aflred Carriere.
    these will pretty much be bands. I will need to be patient watching these grow. Hopefully in 5 years they will look quite nice.

• jerijen
    13 years ago

Bellegallica, no.
    Vintage does not sell Roseville Noisette.
    I think they just didn't think it sufficiently different from other cluster-flowering Noisettes.
    I value its small size, but perhaps not all would.

Jeri

• User
    13 years ago

That's a shame. I would value it's small size, too. Seems like others with small gardens would like a noisette that wouldn't become a monster.

Oh well, one day I'll get around to propagating. Maybe I have something that someone would be willing to trade a Roseville Noisette for.

• jerijen
    13 years ago

That's why we propagate it often for the Cemetery.
    :-)

Jeri