Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_pnw_z8

Sissinghurst Secrets

John (PNW zone 8)
16 years ago

Hi, all --

There's an interesting article on Telegraph.co.uk describing the pruning methods at Sissinghurst that's worth a look. The tips sound a tad brutal, but who can deny their efficacy?

Here's the link:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/main.jhtml?xml=/gardening/2008/04/11/garden-sissinghurst111.xml

Comments (6)

• mendocino_rose
    16 years ago

I've been to Sissinghurst. It is a magical wonderful place. I have to say though that I am rather turned off by roses that are torturously pegged. They do produce alot of blooms but I just don't like that look.

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

Thank you for the link.
    I'll settle for my fencline roses that do pretty good without my intervention.

• cupshaped_roses
    16 years ago

I really like what I refer to as "The Sissinghurst Peg". Planting 3 roses and creating a pegged dome. That technique is AWESOME with some of the Austins. Done with larger roses like Zepirine Drouhin and Honorine Brabant and Felicia as they do at Sissinhurst, the result is wonderful. The result: Up to 3 times as many rose flowers on the same bush, but if one prefer to keep complaining about stingy blooming jolly green giants with poor repeat and have the room to "Enjoy" those ... well their choice.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for posting that link. A very interesting article.

I'm having a very hard time visualising how to do that dome thing. Can anyone explain a little more for me? I find it difficult to translate the words into an image.

And nothing wrong with torturing a rose. Don't they torture us, with their beauty and their thorns?

• cupshaped_roses
    16 years ago

HoovB:

I made a quick sketch showing how the peg their roses into "domes". They plant 3 roses in various distances 3-6 feet apart. They loop the long canes over and tie them down to the over part of one of the canes of the other roses. They do it with roses like Felicia, Madeame Isaac Pereire and even Zephirine Drouhin. They are gorgeus huge domeshaped bushes:

{{gwi:257143}}

• cweathersby
    16 years ago

Cupshaped,
    Thanks for the drawing. I didn't see it when it was first posted, and I've spent the last week wondering how on earth it would work.

That's really cool, but time consuming.
    Maybe one day I'll have a gardener, until then I guess my roses will not bloom to their utmost potential. I pegged a couple of roses last year - it took forever - and they were beautiful. But I should have pegged the shoots they made because this year there is no where near the amount of bloom that there was last year.