Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crown Princess Margareta

Posted by Sow_what So Ca Inland (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 23:22

Several people on this forum were requesting photos of Crown Princess Margareta, so here it is. This rose is new to Humpty Dumpty House and I don't know much about it yet. I didn't think I'd like this rose, but it started blooming a few days ago, and the blooms are exquisite. The people I communicated with at David Austin Roses told me they don't recommend this rose for my hot, dry climate, so it'll be interesting to see how it does over time. For the moment, I'm very unexpectedly loving it.

jannike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crown Princess Margareta

I would think Texas would be considered hot and dry. My CPM is covering the side and going up the top of a metal arch and is covered with buds. This rose has grown well for me and is coming into its 3rd year and it is really going to be beautiful with all these buds coming into bloom. I do water well and this rose has been an excellent grower - think DA may be a bit off not recommending this rose for hotter and drier climates - they know their roses better than I do - but no one told the Crown Princess that she was not going to like hot and dry Texas!
Judith

o

Judith, I've lived in Texas. Hot and dry or hot and humid, depending where. I'd love to know how well your Crown Princess has been blooming, and whether you have her in full sun or a different exposure. I hope ours does as well.

I was very impressed with Michael, the technical director at David Austin. He and others I dealt with seemed genuinely interested in making sure I selected the best roses for my conditions. They asked not only about my zone, but also about my microclimates, and the ways I planned to use the roses. There was no hard sell at all -- just the opposite. My experience with this company was completely positive. And my experience with their roses so far --- I couldn't be happier.

It'll be a miracle if this rose does well long term. She's planted on a wall directly under a neighboring deciduous mimosa, and will soon be showered with zillions of sticky pink blooms. She was a one-cane throwaway -- we're always happy to accept rose gifts at Humpty Dumpty House, but she didn't get a prime spot because we didn't expect her to do well. Ay carumba; she fooled us with all her lovely blooms. What a shame I didn't put her on the new arbor.

o

The only thing that happens to mine in temps above 80s is that the colors bleach to pale but I'm a generous waterer. I'm in central Orange County CA

o

I grow several of the CPM roses here in Colorado. The heat is hard on the blooms as they don't last very long in the hot sun. Not just color fade, but the bloom falls apart quickly. It's tall, I grow one as a climber. I have almost 100 DA roses so I speak with some experience. :) MR

o

I will say however that I still like it very much!

o

Kittymoonbeam, I lived in Orange County for much of my life, and for me, the weather there is ideal, for humans, and possibly for many roses as well. The weather where I am now is currently straddling 80s to 90s (much hotter than usual for a typical spring), and Crown Princess is a lovely apricot wrapped in paled petals barely tinged with color, giving the effect of a sheer silk chiffon. So if that's the only negative caused by heat on this rose, I'll be very happy.

MR, about how long do your CPM blooms last in heat? I always wonder what expectations are in this regard. Our CPM's current blooms have been on the rose for about a week, and it's been rather windy. I'll be watching to see how long they last.

o

Sow, ha... I'm not sure how long they last exactly, but in the full sun here in Colorado, it's only for a few days in the heat of July and August. As I mentioned, I have around 100 DA roses here in our yard, and so I've never tracked how long each bloom lasts. But it does seem that these fade faster than some although it could be because of the location. It's a very nice rose though, especially if you want one that grows tall. Thanks for your post. MR

o

I'm having this rose shipped to me on Monday (own root).
This color will complement the pinks.

o

I got this rose this week, and plan to plant it as a shrub instead of a climber. I'm nervous now as it seems more people plant it as a climber? The blooms are beautiful and I couldn't resist this one even if they don't last too long. My climate is not dry, but it can get pretty hot. You really do have to see the color in person. Listed as apricot worried it would be a bit too orange as I already have a number of peach roses. It has more of a golden tone to it though, and I'm super excited to own it.

This post was edited by mzstitch on Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 8:34

o

I would say it's a small climber, you probably could confine it to bush size, but wrapping around some kind of support would really increase your blooms.

I have mine in partial shade and the blooms last longer:

o

I want to grow it as a medium sized shrub or small climber around an obelisk.

o

MR, the blooms on CPM when I started this thread are still going strong, so that's ten days on the bush so far. If anyone has an idea what's considered a typical amount of time for a bloom to last, please let us know.

Mauvegirl8 -- congratulations! I hope your CPM does well for you. I have Humpty Dumpty House's attached to an old screen door grill on a wall. The canes are flexible, so it should work well wrapped on an obelisk. I have an open spot on an arbor where I had wanted a pale apricot-colored rose, so I'm tempted to get another, but want to see how this one performs first.

Buford, does yours bloom well in partial shade?

Mzstitch, I too LOVE the color. This one is a true soft apricot, with no orange, yellow, or pink highlights breaking through. My Carding Mill, on the other hand, vacilates between apricot, peach, and pink.

I'm so glad CPM came our way, and just hope she can take the long beating she's about to get from the mimosa.

jannike

o

Buford, I don't have an area with partial but you have convinced me to place it as a climber instead. Where it's gong is against a fence so I can certainly tied it up and let it climb instead.
Jannike, I so agree about Carding Mill. I have that one too, and sometimes I think the same rose looks a different color during the day and later in the early evening when the sun is setting.

o

I drool over CPM but had decided against her due to negative feedback but this thread is making me think she would do well for me. Does anyone grow her in east texas?

o

CPM does a great spring flush for me and then blooms sporadically after that. That is probably because the tree that it's near blocks a lot of the sun as the summer goes on. And right now the junipers around CPM make it impossible for me to get near it! They are coming out and I will likely move CPM to another spot. I think she would work well on a fence or an obelisk. I have mine on an obelisk.

o

• Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 11:24

Boncrow, I live in east Texas. My CPM is on a small arbor. It gets full morning sun, mid-day sun and my horse barn provides shade from the evening sun from 2-3pm onwards. Right now, it is covered in buds, a few have bloomed. This was a plant from Hortico several years ago. I had it potted up for awhile, it didn't look that great but planted it. I have kept it well watered and fertilized with horse compost and it just covers my little arbor. When in bloom, I have no doubt it will look like the photo in David Austin's catalog, tho not as big. It bloomed well last year but I cant recall how much it bloomed after its spring flush. I have been very pleased with it and can recommend it.

Another climber that is doing really well that I love to brag on is Tess of the d'Ubervilles. It is in the same bed, but is on a fan trellis up against the horse barn, so gets shade sooner than CPM. Right now, it is just dripping with those luscious magenta red blooms, so healthy!

I would definitely get CPM - my suggestion would be to plant where it gets sun until the hot afternoon blast. This bed seems to be just perfect for Austins. Princess Anne, a new bush year before last, is just covered with beautiful pink blooms. My Austins generally come into their own the 2nd year. Wollerton Hall, planted in all day sun, is just gorgeous right now, as are all the rest I got a few years ago. Very pleased with them! Will try to get some photos.
Judith

o

Thanks Judith! I will add CPM to my list next to Tess. I would love to see photos of your roses!

o

MZ, I swear the blooms on Carding Mill DO switch colors!!! A bloom that's clearly peach colored in the morning might be pure pink by late afternoon. Enough to drive a designer crazy.

Boncrow, I'm absolutely loving CPM right now, but I want to reserve judgement until I see how she does throughout the year.

Buford, it seems you and I are in the same boat with bad placement and needing to move our poor princesses. Even though this one is sparse from lack of canes, her tracery and blooms are truly lovely arcing across an expanse of concrete and metal.

Judith, I have Wollerton Old Hall too, and it has just started showing off it's lovely chalice-shaped blooms. Mine is potted in considerable shade, waiting for me to decide whether it gets a spot on the new rose arbor. Carding Mill, with its schizophrenic coloration has thrown a monkey wrench in my plans, and I'm waiting to see if CM makes up its mind whether it wants to be apricot or pink. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

jannike

o

• Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 12:31

Boncrow, you are quite close to where I live - if you would like to visit sometime, I would be happy to show you around. Send me a private email. I will try to get photos today - we had rain last nite - will wait until things dry up. CPM is on one side of the arbor, Peach Silk on the other. Both are blooming beautifully.
Judith

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here