Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kippy_the_hippy

Who am I? Please help

Kippy
10 years ago

This is the mystery rose I took cuttings from last year.

It is pretty much a once bloomer.

This one is growing in between a building (a church) and a 6 foot fence and it probably a 10-12 foot tall mass of canes.

It has a wonderful scent-or so the residents of the house say.

The buds go from a pink tint to a cream as they age and are about the size of a key.
{{gwi:257661}}
The start of the sprays

{{gwi:257663}}

{{gwi:257664}}

{{gwi:257665}}
Red thorns

{{gwi:257667}}
Leaves in 7's

{{gwi:257669}}
Red-ish stems on the leaves

{{gwi:257671}}

Long canes reaching out from the top

{{gwi:257673}}
A friends hand and a key for sizing

{{gwi:257674}}

Sprays

{{gwi:257675}}
Changes color from tinted pink to a creamy white
{{gwi:257678}}

If I need more photos or of something different let me know

Comments (18)

• annesfbay
    10 years ago

Try looking up Felicite et Perpetue, a Hybrid Sempervirens. I have two and your photos look a lot like it. I will have a look at the thorns tomorrow. Can't recall the scent as I moved them both last year so missed the bloom. The buds haven't opened yet this year. It is evergreen and once blooming. The mini remontant form is Little White Pet, I believe.

Anne

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Kippy -- Is it remontant? It looks Noisettish, on the face of it. Do you know the history of the site?

I like it very much!

Jeri

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    10 years ago

I'm thinking Felicite et Perpetue, too. It's lineage is half noisette, which makes it look noisette-ish (some of its alternate names include "noisette").

The scent of Felicite et Perpetue is myrrh. I love that scent so much that I got Little White Pet because I definitely didn't have room for Felicite et Perpetue. (There's a great, huge plant of it at the UC Berkeley Botanical Garden.)

Debbie

• Kippy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All the photos I posted today are of the same rose bush-one large lump.

Anne, it does look like the HMF images for Felicite et Perpetue.

Jeri, I have watched the bush the past year and other than a bud here and there over the year, it is just the one big flush-I asked after most of the bloom was done last season.

This is on a church property that was built or updated in the 60's? Not sure what was there before.

But it is down stream (as in before the culvert was built this would have been seasonally creek side) from a more modern cemetery and I hear behind Juvy Hall there is an civil war era cemetery (you can see it on google earth)-there would have been a stream that down toward my friends house only the road has been built there now. Houses in that neighborhood are from the 30's on up. And If I remember right, it burnt in a forest fire in the 90's there was an old stage coach stop/tavern/hotel at the base of the hill that the old cemetery and juvy sit on now.

This post was edited by Kippy-the-Hippy on Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 1:00

• roseseek
    10 years ago

It impressed me as Felicite, too. The flowers looked like White Pet, but the size is out of scale. I think that's a pretty good possibility. Kim

• jerijen
    10 years ago

What a great find!

I had no idea there was a cemetery there, from that period.

Jeri

• Kippy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all very much!

So now the next question. This one is limited in size due to the small space it is wedged in.

I rooted 3 plants last year as part of my secure the fence project. One is in the ground at the front corner where most of my fence hoppers come over. I planned on one for the back corner to keep the neighbors dogs from sneaking through and visiting.

Will I be sorry I planted her? Or should I plant the third in the middle of the fence and if she grows as wide as listed I might have a hedge of her. And she is more than welcome to climb the neighbors oak tree if she wants.

I see no signs of mildew on her.

Jeri, I have tried to put a photo of what I think is the old cemetery. I remember reading about it years ago when some one realized what was found on the hill and that they were going to fence it off. It is on Juvy hall property so I don't think hikers are welcome....lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Google map image

• fogrose
    10 years ago

My first thought was Felicite also. There's a huge mound of Felicite growing with no care by the side of the road in the Presidio in San Francisco near the approach to the Golden Gate Bridge.

Diane

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Oh Kippy -- Thank you! I always feel so badly when I see a place like that hidden away and lonely.

Jeri

• annesfbay
    10 years ago

I checked my Felicite and she has red small thorns and seven leaves like your picture. As for being sorry you planted her, well, lets see. I have two because there were four already planted but one was (actually still is--need to keep digging) coming out from under the foundation of the house. Two were planted within five feet of one another with a climbing red rose in between which made a beautiful spring display like something out of a fairy tale but a nightmare to prune. I was so frustrated by the thicket on my back fence that I tried to dig up all four Felicite but a couple just kept coming back. So I moved two of them to a better spot where they can spread out along the chain link fence.

Thin and flexible canes that you can train in probably any manner you want. Evergreen and healthy foliage. Beautiful spring display. Scent I can't recall since its been a couple of years (now that I think about it) since they bloomed because of all the hacking and moving. Mine do not get powdery mildew in my sunset zone 15 garden. The leaves and flowers are clean. However the canes have purplish splotches that look just like the pix of DOWNEY mildew. I don't know for sure what it is but it doesn't seem to effect the foliage, flowers or vigor of the plant.

As for size, the previous owners maintained them as about 6x6 fountaining shrubs--very pretty. I really do not think you can hurt this plant by severe pruning. You just need to be careful of the time you prune since it is once blooming. I need fence coverage so I will let those long legs stretch! Also she intermingles well with other roses given some space, I think.

Anyway, go for it! You may love her. If you don't, that's what the shovel is for (although she is hard to get rid of once established--at least in my garden which is why I still have two!)

Anne

• Kippy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Anne!

I was thinking about this rose last night. I had picked a few roses out of Climbing Roses by Steven Scanniello that I thought might be good to make a rather thick tall hedge at the bottom end of the property to screen off the neighbors. (if only roses could block noise-they seem to be able to yell back and forth between houses all day-duplex-or yell at the kids or dog or at video games. I am noise sensitive so listening to the cussing all day really bothers me) Anyway, I had picked out a couple of big once bloomers that I could put down there that would require little watering or care but would provide a nice display of color. I wanted to wait to order until I knew what I had already, but I wanted "Seven Sisters" and "Thousand Beauties". Looking at the new photos of The Alchemist here I think I want one of those too. And I picked up a climbing Cecile Brunner Friday. Am planning on putting her on the street side of the chain link fence.

I might go collect some more cuttings once the bloom is done for this year, would any of the local (CA) rose societies want a plant or two to sell next year? It hangs over my friends driveway entrance fence so once it is done blooming they would love me to visit with clippers.

• lynnette
    10 years ago

Baltimore Belle?

• lynnette
    10 years ago

Not Baltimore Belle as the leaves are a darker green but that could be the soil it is growing in.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Kippy -- I don't know what the pH is in your area -- down here, we are highly alkaline, as to both soil and water.

Seven Sisters is a Hybrid Multiflora, and to be really happy, she's going to want more acidic conditions than I can give her, down here. Your area may be different, but it is a consideration, when selecting things.

Alchymist, we did grow, and it was a wonderful thing.

Jeri

• lynnette
    10 years ago

Felicite Perpetue in my climate stays icy white with pale pink guard petals. The flowers are also flat. This is a rose that make HUGE,LONG very flexible canes.

• lynnette
    10 years ago

Felicite Perpetue in my climate stays icy white with pale pink guard petals. The flowers are also flat. This is a rose that make HUGE,LONG very flexible canes.

{{!gwi}}

• Kippy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think they got it as Felicite et Perpetue, the blooms open flatter than Baltimore Belle. Although that was one thought of mine while waiting on it to bloom this season.

It is whiter than Moser House Shed Rose or Arcata Pink Globe

And there is no fall rebloom at all. Just a random bloom here and then after the big flush (and I do me one every now and then on a big plant)

Thanks

• Kippy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jeri

The zone I am thinking is by the oak tree. Will that change the ph enough for the Thousand Beauties multiflora?

There is little down there I do much more than check on every now and then and the neighbors water enough once I get the her started I hope they can be the ones with the water for her.