Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

Charles Rennie Mackintosh

I have read many not so great comments about Charles Rennie Mackintosh, but ordered it anyway because I am a sucker for pink/lilac roses.

While it hasn't been perfect, it has a little P.M., it is new. I am extremely pleased with the rate of growth, repeat and the coloring of this rose.

Our gardens can be so different, and sometimes we have to take a chance. With that being communicated, I only purchased two CRM:)

Sorry for the blurred image as it was a bit of a blustery day.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 23:43

Comments (12)

• zeffyrose
    10 years ago

A beautiful color------Florence

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

My CRM isn't as strong a grower as some.....but I really do love those lilac pink blooms. Am going to fertilize with composted horse manure and Carl Pool BR-61 and see if those wont give it a kick. To me, it is worth some effort to get those lovely blooms. Maybe it wont end up being anything but a weak rose, but I like it well enough to give it some extra care and see if I can get it going.
    Judith

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Beautiful rose! Do you have Hermosa? Also on the lavender side of pink. Thank you for the pics! Carol

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol,

No I do not have Hermosa and had to look it up on HMF ( Shows that I am still a newbie regarding the antiques) Some of the images show a coloring similar to CRM. I have no room left so research, consider and maybe purchase is not an option:(. My suburban lot is not large, shy of 1/4 acre, and the footprint for our home and swimming pool takes up a lot of my gardening space in the backyard. Our prerequisite for the PDX area was 1/2 of an acre or more and a smaller home; especially with Heirloom being in the state:)

Alameda, when you indicate that CRM is not a strong grower, what do you mean? In the past, I would identify roses that did not develop in the manner of their class, lacking foliage, keeping thin canes, or never achieving their appropriate size as weak growers. Mine is new so all I have to compare it to is rate of growth etc. Compared to other roses purchased as bands. I hope the two I have continue to perform well as I believe the coloring adds a little something extra to the roses and plants in the area.

Lynn

• Curdle 10a (Australia)
    10 years ago

I've been thinking about trying to get Hermosa this year...Lavender pinks are so pretty.

My CRM (new bareroot last spring) ended up with a very light touch of PM, but kept flowering on. I don't recall it getting any BS tho.. Its not all that vigorous, and looks a bit sticky at the moment, but I'm hoping for better things come next spring, especially as the blooms were so good.
    Please report back if the extra manure and fertiliser works, almeda!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Being another absolute sucker for lilac-pink, I enjoyed your picture, Lynn. I really like the swirled configuration of the petals. I have Bishop's Castle and admire it and its fragrance very much. I'm somewhat ambivalent about Austins since so many have come and gone here, but when they're good they have an undeniably gorgeous presence in the garden. The trick, and it's not an easy one, is to figure out which ones will accept the conditions imposed on them in one's climate. Do you have other Austins in the pink or white/cream range that do well for you?

Ingrid

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ingrid,

Glamis Castle was bullet proof, but I know that many have reported a dislike of its fragrance. Fortunately, I guess, it was not fragrant in my garden.

I experimented with Abraham Darby, Sharifa Asma, Heritage, CPM, and Jude the Obscure in a previous garden about 12 years ago and they all proved to be unsatisfactory in my garden.

On a side note, I believe you had inquired about Sombreuil. I loved Sombrueil. It was a great rose here.

I am thinking of replacing my grafted RdV with a Mary Rose if it is the same hot pink I see on the own root RdV growing in a pot. Have you tried Mary Rose? It seems as some would not be without it and others are underwhelmed by it.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 13:32

• ms. violet grey
    10 years ago

Charles De Gaulle, lovely lilac
    photo taken yesterday

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

I grew CRM in my garden for about 10 years. It was actually quite vigorous here despite some PM. An odd fragrance, soapy perhaps? Bloomed well through the heat. In fact it is often recommended as a rose for hot climates. Very thorny and I just didn't love it as well as I loved some other roses, so it gave way to roses I preferred.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Lynn, it was actually Mlle. de Sombreuil I was inquiring about, not the climber Sombreuil.

I have grown Mary Rose in the past and it did well but somehow it just didn't wow me. For one thing the flowers shatter at the end and when pruning or deadheading the thorns always seemed to get me. Glamis Castle I really disliked because of its vicious thorns and unappealing smell.

Ingrid

Original Author
    10 years ago

I just looked up both on HMF and am sure I owned Sombreuil; not Mlle. de Sombreuil years ago. Mlle. is a beautiful rose!! I saw the images you posted. It definitely already seems to be complimentary to the look and feel of your garden. I remember thinking⦠"where are her trellises or support". Duhâ¦. it is a different rose.

It definitely appears that I was lucky with the Glamis Castle I had in that fragrance was never detected. I agree with you regarding the thorns; that is why it is not in my garden today.

Lynn