Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (14)

• ibheri
    12 years ago

Wow, so beautiful, just not April I went all the way to March. Lovely flowers and awesome pics, thank you for sharing.

• jeannie2009
    12 years ago

Simply magnificent. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Jeannie

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    12 years ago

I want to walk along your front walk.
    Everything looks so fresh and springlike.
    Lovely. Thank-you.
    Daisy

• mendocino_rose
    12 years ago

That's lovely Collin. Thank you for sharing your garden with us.

• melissa_thefarm
    12 years ago

Very nice! I hope your neighbors are inspired to emulation.
    Melissa

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

Collin, your garden is lovely. You have many of the roses I love, and your irises are superb. I agree, your neighbors need to get busy. Why are most front yards sooo boring?

Ingrid

• rootygirl
    12 years ago

I really enjoyed this, collin; I clicked through every month. I just love your rose choices.

• collinw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone.
    Ingrid: I think that Americans worship lawns and believe that gardens are too difficult to maintain. If you add up all of the time that I spend on my garden it probably isn't significantly more than most people spend pampering their lawns. The only difference is, that I do a little every day. I am slowly eliminating all of my lawn. I planted my entire side yard in dutch clover this spring, which is much lovelier than grass IMHO.And it is a nitrogen fixer and bees love it, win, win, and win.

I have a neighbor who otherwise is very nice, who pejoratively refers to my yard as 'so English'. I take it as a compliment.

• jo_pyeweed (z9 SF Bay Area)
    12 years ago

Colin - wow. "English" or not, your garden is lovely!

Thank you for sharing.

Cheers,
    Jo

• harmonyp
    12 years ago

Collin - thank you so much for sharing these photos. They are a reflection of your marvelous care. I would love to know what the exquisite dark lavendar rose #13 of 15 on Page 2 March is?

• collinw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone.
    Harmonyp - That lavender rose is Reine des Violettes.

• harmonyp
    12 years ago

Thanks so much Collin. I've heard so much about Reine des Violettes, but hadn't really seen a good photo. I absolutely love lavendar roses. After seeing your picture, this beautiful rose will be a MUST HAVE for me!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

Collin, I'm not sure whether people don't know or don't care that their lawns might as well be cemeteries as far as most insects and birds are concerned. Good for you for planting clover for the bees! I have three huge bushes of marjoram that bloom month after month and the bees love them. They're not the most glamorous plant but I wouldn't think of taking them out. Our bees need all the help they can get. I shudder to think of all the chemicals that are poured on lawns and then you end up with - grass. Boring! Also, working in a garden of gorgeous plants is a pleasure whereas tending a patch of grass sounds like a soulless chore.

Ingrid

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Your garden is lovely, Collin!