Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two Austins and a Tea Rose

Posted by ingrid_vc Z10 SoCal (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 23:52

I've mentioned before how much I like one of the early Austins, Potter and Moore, and the most recent Austin I have, Young Lycidas, has begun to bloom this spring. Rosette Delizy, one of my easiest tea roses, is blooming quite well right now, and I thought anyone who hasn't seen these roses might find these pictures of interest.

Potter and Moore - A small Austin beginning to bloom

Two beautiful blooms of Potter and Moore

Young Lycidas

Rosette Delizy - the bush

Some lovely blooms

Ingrid

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two Austins and a Tea Rose

Ingrid, whenever I see that little camera symbol next to your title, I always click on the post! Lovely, lovely roses. Your Rosette Delizy is gorgeous! I think your plant is one of the fullest--foliage-wise and bloom-wise--that I've seen. Her coloring is exquisite. I've never grown the two Austins in your photos. I wonder how they fare in my climate. Our gardening situations are nearly polar opposites, but amazingly some roses are flexible enough to thrive in both. Those close-ups of Rosette remind me how much I adore tea roses. I could just gobble her up like so much cake and frosting! Carol

o

Yes, I enjoyed viewing them. I'm not very familiar with any of those roses--so lovely!

Kate

o

Really beautiful images Ingrid - I'd not heard of Potter and More before your post. The blooms are all lovely, however, I cannot resist Rosette Delizy - according to your description, it is everything I love in a rose.

May I ask how old is you bush of Rosette Delizy and what is the perfume like?

Tricia

o

Simply beautiful.

jannike

o

Beautiful blooms, Ingrid. I planted Young Lycidas last spring, I love the blooms. I'll be interested to see how it does this year.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 19:17

They're all beauties, Ingrid!

o

What Carol said! Love your photos (and your roses) and I'm so glad you share!
Susan

o

Thank you all so much for the lovely comments. There couldn't be a nicer and more appreciative group of people.

Tricia, Rosette Delizy is somewhere between four and five years old. Alas, my nose can detect very little fragrance in any of the teas except Duchesse de Brabant and its sport Mme. Joseph Schwartz, and for me RD has no fragrance. Perhaps someone else who has this rose can detect some.

Krista, it took at least a year for my Young Lycidas to get going even though I bought it bareroot from Austin. With your amount of rain and surely better soil I would think yours will grow and bloom much more quickly than mine. Some of the blooms were fried today and it wasn't more than 80 degrees so that doesn't bode well for my specimen in the summer. I do love the color and the look of the blooms, though. The bush is spindly and small. My biggest, really huge mistake was not amending the soil when we first made a garden. Garden in haste and repent at leisure - it's been my mantra for years.

Ingrid

o

" the bush is spindly and small"

It sounds as though your Young Lycidas is behaving exactly the same as mine, Ingrid.
If you remember, we both bought them at the same time and I said then that we would have to compare notes.
Mine is also spindly and small, although I have hopes that it will get it's act together this year.
I put a load of donkey manure round it during the winter and I can see a few new basals coming.
It has some greenfly at present. The resident pair of chiffchaffs which normally work through all the roses, clearing the aphids for me, haven't turned up this year. So I will have to rub them off myself.
Daisy

o

Daisy, can you please send some donkey manure in the post? It sounds as though YL is quite fond of it. I'm doing rabbit droppings but there's only so much from the few wild rabbits that frequent the one area that's flat and accessible. I'm glad your YL is doing well, but then I haven't been able to spot a single rose in your pictures that isn't bursting with health and blooms. Is donkey manure mainly what you use as fertilizer or compost?

Ingrid

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here