Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Munstead Wood, Tradescant, Wm S. 2000?

Posted by hosenemesis SoCal Sunset 19 USDA (My Page) on
Mon, May 16, 11 at 1:40

Hello all,
I'm looking for a very dark red sprawly or climbing rose for a partially shaded corner in my hot inland Southern California garden. I don't spray. I love the Austin dark reds. Are there any others that look similar that I should consider? I don't need a whole bunch of flowers in this spot, which will be behind Bouquet Parfait in front of some tall shrubs. I am willing to look at modern as well as English or OGRs. Will any of these grow here?

Renee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Munstead Wood, Tradescant, Wm S. 2000?

If you are looking for something "sprawling", then WS2000 definitely fits the bill. It grows in an awkward manner and it's difficult to get his growth in a "mannerly" habit. WS2000 tends to want to throw out a lot of lateral canes that are long as it's vigor increased then shoots up vertical canes from those horizontals...think of training a climber on the ground. Now it doesn't do this all the time. You will gets some upright ones that might even climb a bit in your area. I had an upright one that got up to 4.5ft tall once. I had WS2000 in a less than desirable area but he still did well. It will grow wider than tall at around 3-4'x4-5'. I'm actually ordering Munstead Wood this year, but from what I can tell, Munstead Wood has a darker bloom more along the color lines of The Prince and has a more compact growth habit with more manners. Tradescant seems like it has similar coloring to WS2000 except maybe slightly darker and grows in a larger manner and sometimes as a climber.

o

WS 2000 sprawls. Munstead Wood is more compact and shrub-like. IMO MW is one of Austin's finer roses.

Rosefolly

o

That's good to hear, because Munstead Wood is my favorite of all. I will try it. Thank you.
Renee

o

I agree with all of you - same experience. Love both MW & WS - amazing flower form, color and fragrance. I'm usually not a red rose person, but I just love these two guys.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here