Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshtx

Pat Austin in a pot

joshtx
10 years ago

For those who have grown Austin's Pat Austin, would you advise growing it in a large pot? I am seeing where everyone says that she squanders in intense heat, and if there is one thing Texas has it's intense heat. If potted, she would received 4-5 hours of morning sun before being sheltered by the back porch.

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

There's an ARF thread called "orange and apricot English roses" (Feb. 25) where members from hot climates are discussing Pat. There are photos of Pat in a Pot. Pat in a Pot--sounds like Dr. Seuss.

Carol

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

Whats ARF and how do I get to that forum/website? I would like to read this thread as I just bought another Pat Austin today. Thanks.....

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

Never mind.......I figured it out.......its late, brain isn't working up to capacity.......

• prickles
    10 years ago

Josh--
    Pat Austin will be a giantess for you--in your zone that is--and her flowers shatter too quickly, lasting about a day, or two when the weather is cooler. An option other than PA--if you have in mind that sort of hot orange/ apricot color scheme--is Lady Emma Hamilton. She is more compact and, IMHO, a better rose than Pat in fragrance and health, though I fondly remember PA as a huge bloomer. Too bad I gave her away.

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    10 years ago

{{gwi:259059}}

Here is my Pat Austin in a pot.
    The pot is tall and slim. 75cm high by 50cm across.
    Pat Austin hates the hot sun, so from about June to September, she has a large sunshade.

{{gwi:259061}}

She is happy in a pot, but likes a bit more feeding during the growing season.

{{gwi:259063}}

She smells absolutely delicious.
    Daisy

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Daisy, that is amazingly beautiful.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Daisy, I just dumped all that stuff I've read about growing roses in pots. That is gorgeous! And I real inspiration for those who want to grow roses in pots. Thanks for sharing!
    How old is your Pat in a Pot? And how tall?
    Susan

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

Blimey Daisy - what is this extra feeding - chicken dinners?tuna sandwiches? crushed babies?

Even allowing for some choice sunlight, that is an extraordinary plant - mine gets big, but nothing like as fulsome and floriferous (course I am a slacker).

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    10 years ago

I don't think crushed babies would work Suzy. Too fatty.
    Susan, she has been in that pot for 6 years, nearly 7 now.
    She reaches to the roof of a one storey building.
    I give it 9 month osmocote every spring. That is a controlled release general fertilizer. Then, when I remember, I give it a watering can full of dilute donkey manure liquid.
    That is all until just recently, when I gave it a handful of high potash, plus trace elements fertilizer.
    I took those photos in May this year. She flowers well all through the summer, as long as she has got her sunshade.
    Daisy

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Camps, the secret is....DILUTE DONKEY MANURE LIQUID! LOL. Daisy, is that available only in Crete?
    I've added a Pat to my order...I can only hope she will be 1/2 as gorgeous. Dang!
    Osmocote is great stuff too.
    I'm going to have to find her some shade, however.
    Susan

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I love it Daisy!

Now to find some Dilute Donkeys....hehe

• prickles
    10 years ago

Daisy--that's simply breathtaking! Mine was a big bloomer too, but she was never never never that gorgeously loaded with those apricot gold. She did have long cranes and lots and lots of clean green leaves.

Camp and Susan--if crushed babies and diluted donkey manure were easily availabled I think I will go out and get me some. LOL!

This post was edited by prickles on Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 12:37