Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problems with Gallicas

Posted by TNY78 6b (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 11 at 3:42

I have recently decided to broaden my rose garden to include some antique roses. Up until now, I've mainly had hybrid musks, rugosas, and floribundas. I've added about 15 OGRs this spring, and all seem to be doing well except my 2 gallicas (Tuscany Superb & Rosa Mundi). Both were purchased from Heirloom Roses and arrived looking very healthy as bands. The Tuscany Superb is in the ground and it seems to not be growing and whenever new leaves appear they dry out and fall of (they do not turn yellow first, just wilt and dry out). The Rosa Mundi is still in the one gallon pot I transfered it to, but seems to have white fuzz on its buds and leaves...see picture below (powdery mildew??) Any suggestions on what I can do to help them? What kinds of spray (if any) do you suggest for gallicas? Thanks for any help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosa Mundi w/ problem

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problems with Gallicas

Your 'Rosa Mundi' does look like it has mildew; this variety, like its sport parent 'Officinalis' is susceptible to this fungal disease. It's unsightly, but not necessarily a grave problem. Both my plants of these varieties currently have mildew, probably because of dry soil but some humidity in the air. They'll get over it without anything terrible happening. It your plant is growing and setting buds I wouldn't worry about the mildew. I don't have any idea what the problem might be with 'Tuscany Superb'.
Nice varieties, by the way. I love Gallicas.
Melissa

o
RE: Problems with Gallicas

Definitely powdery mildew. On susceptible roses, I use Immunox (myclobutanil), which is labeled for mildew.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here