Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just received Beales' Classic Roses book

Posted by nikthegreek 9b/10a E of Athens (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 5:11

Just received it in the mail, shipped all the way from NY. Used in mint condition. Not cheap but well worth it I think. Not easy to find it over here. This is 1997 edition hardbound, are there any newer editions out there? Some 'Mom' in Canada had gifted this to somebody in 2000, judging from the inscription on the inside cover.

I'm at work and can't really peruse it as much as I would like. Can't wait till I go home in the evening.
Nik

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just received Beales' Classic Roses book

I picked up a copy of the 1992 Roses for a $1 at a rummage sale. I wonder how different, if at all, it is from the Twentieth Century Roses and Classic Roses that I also bought used from Amazon.

I picked up a duplicate copy of Visions of Roses (thought it might be but for $1 did not care) anyone local interested?

o

enjoy your book Nik, I wanted it in the worst way but the price always held me back, now I'm glad I didn't waste my money.. here's why.. I spent literally years enjoying my Botanica rose book, only to find that now that I live in the Maritimes of Canada, there are so many roses that won't do well here, its heartbreaking... so I ended up finding a copy of Bob Osborne's book, Hardy Roses, which is not just wonderfully informative on all areas of rose care, but names the best varieties for this windy, salty, low-sun area of the planet. Now I have to adjust my love of roses to include very different varieties.

o

Classic Roses is a great book. The only caveat I would add is that you should ignore anything it says about the size a particular rose is going to grow to, and also their opinions about tea & china roses - this book assumes that every rose is grown in their climate.

Jackie

o

Thanks all. Yes Jackie I'm aware of the size and other differences based on climate. Beales (the nursery also which I often patronise) seems much better on this respect compared to others I could mention.

o

That's a wonderful book! I spent many, MANY happy hours with our local library's copy while waiting to get into a being-worked-on apartment after a major move. That book saved my sanity, as well as being full of information! I'm sure you will dive into it after you get home and have a glorious time!

o

I bought that book a long time ago now. You made me feel like taking it out to read again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here