Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjlinva

roses for cutting

rjlinva
16 years ago

Greetings. A neighbor who has a cut flower business is interested in adding some roses to her inventory. She'll grow them in fields and will use them for cut flowers. I know she also sells zinnias and peonies, so I don't think she goes for the typical florist selections.

What are some roses good for cutting that are healthy and floriferous in this zone. Please indicate which roses will need spraying and which can make it without.

Thanks, Robert

Comments (10)

• buford
    16 years ago

I have to mention St Patrick. A gorgeous yellow, doesn't blow, keeps flower form well. I just came home to a bush with at least 30 blooms on it. Some of them are coming in the house! No scent to speak of but most cut flowers from floral shops don't have scent either. I spray all my roses, but St. Patrick is pretty resistant, on of the few of my that did not succumb to bs last fall when I stopped spraying.

Other than that, Mr. Lincoln and Double delight, both need to be sprayed.

• rjlinva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion...I hope I can give her some more suggestions.

Robert

• Lisa_H OK
    16 years ago

I have Pink Peace, Electron and Chrysler Imperial that I use for cut flowers. Electron has really nice long stems. (All of these are hybrid teas.)

Mine do all get blackspot, so she might want to do some type of spray/drench.

Does she grow larkspur too? I use that in all my peony bouquets.

{{gwi:228476}}

{{gwi:228477}}

Hmm... I thought I had some PP or Electron pics, but not in those two bouquets. There is a Chrysler Imperial in the second one. The little roses are The Fairy.

I also use those white iris orientalises a lot. (if she would like some, tell her I have some I could share.)

Lisa

• rjlinva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks

• carolfm
    16 years ago

If she doesn't go for the usual florist type arrangements, Belinda's Dream is one I like to cut for a vase. Blooms in clusters but the blooms last a long time. Also, Chrysler Imperial, Secret, Tiffany, Paul Neyron, Valencia, Rouge Royale all have longer lasting blooms and are fragrant. All of these require spraying here.

Carol

• gnabonnand
    16 years ago

Yep, one Belinda's Dream shrub used to keep vases at our house full all spring, summer, fall. Long lasting and fragrant too. As Carol said, it's not the usual florist type though.

Randy

• irish_rose_grower
    16 years ago

Elina is a beautiful hybrid tea that does not get sprayed im my garden. Only negative is no fragrance.

• jbcarr
    16 years ago

Quietness and Peter Mayle are 2 that I have that make good cut flowers. In a garden where I work, Veterans Honor also does a great job. They spray that garden- something she may have to do to get consistent healthy flowers/leaves.

• gnabonnand
    16 years ago

I just had a thought about an OGR that has done well as a cut flower for me ... 'Archiduchesse Elisabeth d'Autriche', an old hybrid perpetual. It's a hard rose to locate, but its sport, Vick's Caprice, is easier found, and at least as beautiful. This rose blooms more frequently than other HP's I've grown, it's fairly fast to repeat in my garden.

Randy

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of AEdA on HelpMeFind

• cupshaped_roses
    16 years ago

Eden rose aka pierre de Ronsard. Nospray! gorgeous cabbage like roses with long vase life. Can be grown as bushes. Gives hundreds of flowers on each bush after a few years.