Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Blooms On Alnwick

Posted by Sow_what So Ca Inland (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 14 at 5:41

I am blown away by the prettiness of this rose. Every aspect of it, from the fresh spring green of the foliage, to lovely shape of the shrub, to the unbelievably pretty pink of the blooms now smothering the little shrub. I planted this bare root in late March when temps were in the mid nineties, and it's the last of my Austins to bloom. I couldn't have created a prettier plant if I had a magic wand. Isn't it nice when a rose presents even better than expected? I just hope the magic lasts.

The picture below doesn't come close to doing justice to this Alnwick rose. If I can fit it in, I'll take a picture of the whole shrub.

jannike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Blooms On Alnwick

I'm glad you are pleased with it. I like this rose too.

o

It is very beautiful!

Anne

o

Very nice photography!

o

I have two of these and the first flush was intense. Alas, it seems to be over now.
Does anyone know if DA is de-emphasizing this rose for some reason? It wasn't on the English Roses list at Otto & Sons Rose Days (they have a DA test garden). It's obviously growing well in southern California, so I have no idea why it wouldn't be listed. How does DA determine which roses should be retired and/or quietly relegated to obscurity? Another example is "Skylark," which while prominently listed in the catalogue doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere around here.
Thanks,
Sylvia

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 8, 14 at 18:55

How does DA determine which roses should be retired and/or quietly relegated to obscurity?

1. How well it sells.
2. If they have a new one that is very similar to the old one, but is a better or slightly better performer.

o

• Posted by fogrose zone 10/sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Thu, May 8, 14 at 21:05

Wish I could grow Austins but they hate my garden. Sigh.

Nice photo. Glad it's doing well for you.

Diane

o

I used to grow this rose few years ago. The blooms were very pretty. However, I got rid of mine because: 1) mine was baldy infected with a virus and 2) The scent was wonderful in the beginning but from there, I could not detect any fragrance.

Gradually, my taste changes. I like big rosettee shaped blooms (i.e Evelyn, Tea Clipper, Princess Alexandra of Kent) than cupped blooms.

o

Beautiful, Jannike. I just planted The Alnwick Rose this winter and am looking forward to its first bloom. Looking forward to a shot of the entire shrub from you! I love DA's roses.

o

Beautiful rose! Love DA roses!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here