Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

RRD again

I am still cleaning up my yard. In the back of the yard going down the hill to a creek are some larger roses.

Cramoisi Superieur had a very long cane with symptoms of RRD or Round Up. The weeds are high, and the roses are too close. I went through a couple of months ago, and just cut the branches, but did not clean them out. I cannot get to it until today, and am not sure what it is.

The cane must be about 8 feet. It looked like the end of it had died, but most of the length of that cane only had RRD looking growth on it. I would see about 10 inches of cane, then sprouts that looked like RRD. This pattern was established throughout the cane. Nice green cane, tight collection of reddish growth that sprouted to about 10 - 12 inches, then nice green cane.

Last night I couldn't get to the source because of all of the canes that I had previously cut. (Also because i found a tick on me the day before.) I cannot pull out the canes or I will rip or scratch the new canes. I also want to see exactly where the cane is coming from. (You know, snakes, etc. I need to put on boots.)

Last weekend my husband helped me with the Round up. Before last weekend it was Sept. that I used it, and we had a very cold winter. I never saw this growth when i cut everything back about 2 months ago. My husband did not use the Round Up the way I do. I fan the wand in a steady motion. He was shaking it. He was carrying the heavy tank so I did not want to be critical. I do not think any cane could ever grow this fast from Round Up last Sunday.

I cut the cane as far back as I could, and put it on the ground to take a picture. What is there is about 6 - 8 feet of nice green cane. In almost equal segments were sprouts of RRD looking growth, cane, RRD looking growth, etc. At the end a strip of dead cane.

The symptom I always look for is that the larger cane comes off of a smaller cane. I am not sure what to think about what i just cut. This rose is near another Cramoisi, two Duchesse de Brabants, Bubble Bath, and a small bed of three SDLM. The picture i took is not very good.

Through all this description, could anyone tell me how I could definitely tell if this is RRD? Or could you post a picture or site that would show the comparison of RRD and Round Up?

THanks,
Sammy

Comments (3)