Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Erfurt

Posted by sammy OK/7A (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 11 at 6:52

Do you grow Erfurt? I used to have it on my hillside, but it became so tangled in poison ivy that we tore it out. Now I have a new one, and would like to know what your experience is with size and shape.

HMF has some pictures, and it looks like it is standing with support. I know mine was free standing, and was a little larger than what I saw.

It is delicate and beautiful, and I hope to plant it today.

Sammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Erfurt

It's a rose I'm interested in.

One of the difficulties in choosing a rose is what is the shape of the bush. One place to look is on Vintage's site where they show sillouettes sp? of a rose bush's shape.

Another part of that same problem is to find a picture of the rose in bloom not just one of the flower. How many times have you seen a picture of the most beautiful rose only to find it nof normally that way.

o

Thanks Jim. I tried Vintage and they don't have it, so I looked at ATE where I bought it, but they only said 5-6 feet. I will just go with it -- knowing I can move it if I need to. I thought I would at least share my older picture since I brought up the subject.

I am anxious to plant my new one in a more visible location.

Sammy

o

This rose has been struggling for me. It seems more susceptible to blackspot than most of my other roses. I have given it plenty of alpaca manure this year, and I am hoping that will help it grow. I believe that it was starved, and because of that, weakened. The blackspot experts here are probably laughing at my logic right now, but, I will try this experiment.

Robert

o

• Posted by elks US5 Can6b (My Page) on
    Sat, May 7, 11 at 11:24

I have been growing it in the Great Lakes area for about 14 years. It is a favourite of mine. This year, I didn't have to prune it back to the ground and have some 4' canes. It grows to about 5.5' tall, but has greater girth, to maybe 10'. It blooms and reblooms. I typically get 3 flushes. It has lovely, almost single, scented blooms, rather like Escapade by which it is planted. Highly recommended.

Steve

o

elks

Glad to read of your endorsement for Erfurt. It doesn't take much encouregment for me to go for a Kordes rose. My favorites. Then I see it was introduced in 1939 another sign of a good rose if it lasted that long....and Pickering carries it, another sign. They are the best.

Oh yes what does that % sign on your sign in mean? Along cith the 2C. Probably a zone thing for Centigrade?

o

Robert if you're not having any luck with Erfurt up there I sure won't down in coastal Tidewater down by NC.

I dunno what hmf says, but I suspect this rose really likes a nice winter dormancy period and doesn't much care for a long hot humid growing season.

I'm making do with Escapade but would really love to have Erfurt!

o
Kordes' Erfurt

• Posted by elks US5 Can6b (My Page) on
    Sun, May 15, 11 at 7:58

I even think I bought Erfurt from Pickering.

The %2 is some artifact that happens because my computer has a Japanese language program on it. Don't understand why it's there or what to do about it. I'm glad you mentioned it though because I thought it was only seen on this computer. Hmm... Guess I'll have to sort it out now.

Steve

o

Steve, why don't you check your settings, and see if you have a default for "plain text"? I just looked for it, and cannot find it, but I do think I have been told in the past that the plain text sends the message so it can be read by most computers. (Maybe this is just in email.)
Sammy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here