Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hartwood_gw

Wine and Roses, Open House at Tufton Farm, Charlottesville, VA

hartwood
9 years ago

A great chance to see the garden at Tufton Farm (Thomas Jefferson Center for Historic Plants) Roses and other plants will be available for sale.

Description from the Monticello web site:

Saturday, May 31, 2014, 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Reservations: Not required

Savor the sights and scents of antique roses in peak bloom while tasting local wines in the garden during this ever-popular event.

Rosarian Connie Hilker of Hartwood Roses will present the best easy-care antique roses for Virginia gardens and answer questions about caring for roses in your own garden. In addition, Monticello's Plant Curator Peggy Cornett will lead rose walks through the gardens discussing the long history of rose cultivation. Monticello's Beekeeper Paul Legrand will talk about the life cycle of the first 18 months of a bee hive, including the major hurdles. From 1-3 pm, don't miss the "Father of Virginia Wine," Gabriele Rausse, as he hosts a tasting of his esteemed local wines. Enjoy guided garden tours, and ask our knowledgeable nursery staff your gardening questions. A wide selection of historic plants, including antique roses, will be for sale. FREE, no registration required; Tufton Farm, 9 am-3 pm.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to the program for the event.

Comments (12)

• jerijen
    9 years ago

SIGH . . . .

Oh boy, I do wish I could be there. I hope there will be lots and lots of pictures.

Connie -- you should think about turning your talk into an article.

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up! See you there...

• hartwood
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm really excited to be doing this!

I published a blog post a few years ago with the list that is the basis for this talk (with a few additions). For example, I didn't grow Perle d'Or at the time, it does great here, and I have added it to the list.

If you come, please come up and say Hi.

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy Care Heirloom Roses List Blog Post

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Wish I could step in a transporter and appear at the open house! Someday, I'll travel across the Mississippi and make a trip to VA, and I'll time it with something wonderful that you've got up your sleeve, Connie. Please do post pics. Carol

• hartwood
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Carol, I will be sure to come up with something wonderful just for the occasion of your visit when/if it occurs!

This program is different than what I usually do. Most of the time I'm trapped inside with a projector and a Powerpoint program with photos. For Saturday, I will be working with live material, since we'll be outside. Nothing better than meeting the subject roses up close and in person.

Tufton itself is a haven for many rare and wonderful things, not just roses. The roses are the stars of the garden right now ... and the Leonie Bell Noisette Garden, with its collection of Noisettes and Chinas, should be pretty spectacular. I'm really excited to see it.

• lori_elf z6b MD
    9 years ago

We plan to be there. It'll be great to see you again Connie!

• lori_elf z6b MD
    9 years ago

Loved your rose talk at Tufton Farms and the garden tour was fabulous! Even my significant other, who isn't really into roses, found the day interesting. I hadn't been in many years and the garden has matured and looks better than ever.

• lori_elf z6b MD
    9 years ago

One of the garden shots... my camera doesn't do it justice!

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Golly -- I'd have loved to have been there.

• hartwood
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It was great to see you, Lori! (Perfect photo of me at work, too ... mouth open, weird hand gestures, and all.) I have tried so many times to take photographs that capture the atmosphere of the Bell Garden, and have failed every time. You just have to be there in the rose filled enclosure ... and inhale.

Jeri, goes without saying that we would love to have had you there.

I took very few photos ... this is my favorite one. It's Peggy Cornett leading the rose tour, surrounded by roses and enthusiastic rose lovers.

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

Your presentation was mesmerizing - well beyond informative - highlighting the personality of & the skinny on each rose waved aloft in its green bottle. Demonstrating their charms, you revealed your own. Bravo!

For all the time spent reading about antique roses, had never met most of them in person. My first visit to Tufton (forgive me as a local), wowed by the encounter. This was introduction via total immersion - heavenly! Wandered the gardens the rest of the day, punch-drunk on beauty. A friend to share the experience, Rebecca, completed the golden day. Her remembrance of the event, including photos, at the link below.

Delighted to meet you & the roses, Connie! Lori, sorry we didn't connect...next time!

Here is a link that might be useful: Forsythia Hill - Wine & Roses

• lori_elf z6b MD
    9 years ago

Sue, I'm sorry we didn't connect also! Needed Garden Web name tags to find each other. Your friend's blog is wonderful, really captured the day!