Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

Summer is icumen in

User
9 years ago

sing cuckoo!

This weekend (a bank holiday in the UK) I am stuck here in Cambridge rather than working in my woodland....which is why I am writing instead of grubbing around with spade and trowel. In truth, I absolutely needed a rest since this last month has telescoped into an intense period of changes - need to take breath for a while. The bluebells came and went at the same time as a startling phenomenon, unseen in my life, of poplar woods coming into new growth. Nothing could have prepared me for the deep bronze and gold canopy, so utterly different from the acid green of new oak. The birdsong, which starts before first light then ratchets up to a furious but never dissonent chorale. We sowed clover, in preparation for the new hives, finally stacked the cut wood for next winter and added an old forage plant, sainfoin to any bare patches in our main clearing. The umbels have been rising since April, with the first alexanders, Queen Annes Lace, angelica and hedge parsley glowing creamily against the deepening green - we are now waist high in velvcet hogweed foliage (an ugly name for a lovely plant, beloved by charms of goldfinch which balance on the flat flower heads, nibbling seed.
And yep, the elusive cuckoo, along with the first sightings of swallows swooping over the Yare, have caused us to pause, smile and feel blessed.

An additional bonus to woodland exile has been the spring blooms of roses -all of which are in voluptuous maturity, tumbling untidily about the amateur supports which clutter the allotment. As usual, I have failed at any sort of tying in and taming so certain paths are now impassable while entry to the toolshed can only be effected on hands and knees - despite using an assortment of rakes and hoes as impromptu rose supports.

This year (as in every year) I am berating myself for backsliding on the vegetable stakes and vowing to do better - hence I ventured forth into torrential rain to spread horticultural fleece over the diminishing french beans (and stick extra seeds in the snail chewed gaps). Once there, muddy and wet, it seemed only reasonable to take a hard look at the overgrown late summer borders - massive clumps of asters and hemerocallis dug out and transferred to a new patch (now that the old rhiubarb has finally been evicted)....and, having made some veggie effort, I rewarded myself with planting some new and thrilling perennials (strobilanthes, so-called 'flowerless' phlox, more aconitum) as well as half a dozen dahlias. Will be back later to fill gaps with some direct sown zinnias and flax.

Lots and lots of truculent little wrens in the honeysuckle hedge which borders the north end of the plot while again, a family of bluetits have invaded the toolshed (just as well it is a nightnare to enter) - the enormous brood of at least 8 have been running around dangerously near my clumping boots. Finally, I am sitting at my desk with new(ish) PC and a huge vase of sweet peas which are almost narcotic in their penetrating but never sickly fragrance.
Yep, summer is definitely in the post.

Comments (13)

• muscovyduckling
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Please! Post a picture of your honeysuckle hedge for me one day!

This is a phenomenon that I've read so much about whilst researching hedgerow planting. The British websites are always going on about hazel thickets and honeysuckle hedges but they never oblige with photos. And I really must have photos, in lieu of airline tickets. Because I think I am actually an English girl trapped in an Australian person. And what self-respecting English girl has never seen a copse of hazel or a honeysuckle hedgerow?

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Camps - you always exhaust me just reading about all of the things you are planting! Sounds as if you are getting a handle on what grows in your woods, and are able to add things that may survive there - that is great.

I had to laugh about the honeysuckle - we have Japanese honeysuckle here, and every time I see a bit of it I pull it out - it is not only invasive, but it strangles other plants (like large rose bushes). Another example of the fact that any plant family probably has mannerly and thug relatives in it.

Jackie

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

It all sounds wonderful to me.

• anitasacramento
    9 years ago

Lhude sing cuckoo.

One of the thrills of my life was stepping out of my rental car at the great garden at the Abbaye de Valloire in Picardie, France, and hearing a cuckoo. It sounded JUST like a cuckoo clock and I wondered for a bit if somebody was having me on. Maybe I will hear one again during my visit next month!

That garden is well worth seeing by the way. I stayed in the Abbaye in a room all by myself and figuratively pinched myself black and blue.

Love hearing about your plantings. I just read something written some years ago, worrying that bluebells would not survive global warming. I am glad that they are still in your woods. I'm afraid your rose season is coming on too early and that roses will be spent by the time of the Mottisfont conference.

Suzy, is there any chance that we GW people (Paula (rosefolly), Pamela (mendocinorose) and me) could meet you during our visit? It's possible to sign up for only the day's lectures in Winchester on the 23rd or maybe you could be around after our day at Mottisfont on the 24th.

We'll be so near - and yet so far!
    Anita

Here is a link that might be useful: Jardins de Valloires

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

camp, reading your descriptions is almost as good as being there; your writing is so evocative. Your energy, on the other hand, is almost frightening for someone who's lacking in that department. It allows you to accomplish great things, though, and hopefully you'll aim your camera at some of them for us to enjoy in the coming months.

Ingrid

• anitasacramento
    9 years ago

Lhude sing cuckoo.

One of the thrills of my life was stepping out of my rental car at the great garden at the Abbaye de Valloire in Picardie, France, and hearing a cuckoo. It sounded JUST like a cuckoo clock and I wondered for a bit if somebody was having me on. Maybe I will hear one again during my visit next month!

That garden is well worth seeing by the way. I stayed in the Abbaye in a room all by myself and figuratively pinched myself black and blue.

Love hearing about your plantings. I just read something written some years ago, worrying that bluebells would not survive global warming. I am glad that they are still in your woods. I'm afraid your rose season is coming on too early and that roses will be spent by the time of the Mottisfont conference.

Suzy, is there any chance that we GW people (Paula (rosefolly), Pamela (mendocinorose) and me) could meet you during our visit? It's possible to sign up for only the day's lectures in Winchester on the 23rd or maybe you could be around after our day at Mottisfont on the 24th.

Anita

• melissa_thefarm
    9 years ago

Sounds great. That was my response the first time I ever heard a cuckoo, too: "Where's the clock?" (this was in the middle of the Black Forest). We've had the same ecstasy of humming, buzzing life here, unfortunately yielding now to what looks like will be an early summer, but spring has been pretty wonderful. I'm glad you're enjoying it now.
    We have several plants of Japanese honeysuckle in the garden, some deliberately put in place before we knew what we were doing, others that were supposed to be various forms of L. periclymenum, the European honeysuckle, but weren't. There seems to be much confusion in the nursery trade, with the Japanese plant taking over because it's just so easy to grow. Japanese honeysuckle is unkillable here as everywhere and sweet scented in flower, but it mildews and dies back horribly, this aside from its great invasive abilities. I have two varieties of L. periclymenum, 'Serotina' and 'Graham Thomas', currently sitting in pots while I try to find a place for them. I though I might actually try to kill a pair of my Japanese honeysuckles and replace them, daunting as the thought is.
    "Groweth sed and bloweth med,/Springeth the wude nu!" Have fun!
    Melissa

• anitasacramento
    9 years ago

Lhude sing cuckoo.

Anita

• nikthegreek
    9 years ago

Ηmmmm what a difference the climate makes to one's perception of summer. Reading about all this work made me feel sweat-sticky. Here summer is, for gardeners and most plants, a time for rest. Summer weekends are for dipping in the sea, if you're lucky enough, which I did both on Saturday and on Sunday. The first swimming for the season in refreshingly chilly waters contrasting with the hot and humid air on the beach.
    Nik

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well hey, Anita,
    I got straight onto rail journey planner and can be in Hampshire by lunchtime! Really, it would be fabulous to meet up with mythical G.Webbers (after all this time) - I am slightly awed and humbled by your expertise (and therefore cannot miss a chance to do some interrogating and knowledge gathering).It is 2 miles from the station, across fields (which sounds really lovely....or I can take my bike on the trains. So yep, 24th June sounds great to me - I can hang out in the gardens while you are at your lectures or whatever....and meet you all afterwards.
    Should I book a train ticket now? Do I need to do anything else? I assume I can just pay my National Trust entrance fee and hang around looking recognisable.......

Ha, getting excited now.

• ogrose_tx
    9 years ago

and I am green with envy... that trip sounds so wonderful!

• anitasacramento
    9 years ago

Suzy - I usually worry about the dirt under my fingernails but now you've got me worrying about feet of clay! You are the professional gardener who tosses off botanical names that send us all scurrying off to learn about the plants that you are growing! So don't be in awe of any expertise - I am sure that Paula and Pamela feel the same - although we will gladly share any knowledge that we have while we interrogate you in turn, Mostly, it would be so nice to meet you. We're not sure how best to make this work. We are going to Mottisfont by bus from Winchester and have a full day of lectures on the 24th. We could definitely be free for dinner that evening, but easiest for us would be to meet in Winchester if you aren't attending the conference. I had thought about staying late in the garden, if it's open late (which appears not to be guaranteed - closing time is 5 pm per website), and walking to the train station and taking the train back to Winchester that evening, but don't know that will work out. It's certainly more complicated than simply piling on the bus and being returned to our lodgings. I think it would be good to continue this discussion by email, including Paula and Pamela. Mine is anitac 5159 @ gmail.com. (No spaces.) I'll give you my cell phone number, too, which should work in the UK. I'll be there this Friday, 30 June - the others will be coming later.
    Anita

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

Suzy, I've been in contact with Anita and Paula. It sounds like dinner that evening would be the thing. The day at Mottisfont is all like walking lectures and workshops. I hope we can make it work to get together. I would so enjoy to meet you and you'll find out how very not intimidating I am.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES