Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vettin

List of no spray in Northern VA

vettin
15 years ago

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had compiled a list of roses that thrive in Northern VA no spray. I do not mind if they get a little bs - as long as they come back and do not die over the winter from it. There are many indivudal posts about this, just wondering if anyone has compiled them.

Thank you!

Comments (13)

• olga_6b
    15 years ago

I used to post such list, but don't have it now Will try to make one for you. I am in MD 20 miles from Northen VA, in Rockville area of MD, so our climates should be similar.

Repeat bloomers, no BS:
    Knock Out and its sports
    Darlows Enigma
    Quadra

Repeat Bloomers with some BS that still stay healthy otherwise (can get up to 30-50% defoliation depending on weather and year)

Carefree Sunshine
    Quitness
    Countrydance
    Earth Song
    Awakening
    Illusion
    Nwew Dawn
    Prairie Harvest
    The Fawn
    Jaques Cartier
    Home Run
    Carefree Beauty
    Ducher
    Georgetown Tea
    Arethusa
    Fairy
    Aloha
    Floral Fairy Tale (based on just one year of experience, not reliable information)
    Laguna (the same comment as aove)
    Perle d'Or
    Cecille Brunner
    Belinda's Dream ( balls and has a lot of dieback here)

Roses that can have significant defoliation, sometimes fully naked, but still keep some vigor:
    Buff Beauty
    Lyda
    Marie Pavie
    Marie Daly
    Ghishlande de Feligonde (sp?)
    Madame Isaac Perier
    Deuil de Dr Reynaud
    Parade
    Excellence von Schubert
    Heritage
    Shatifa Asma
    McCartney Rose
    Mme Alfred Carrier
    Mrs BR Cant
    Le Vesuve
    Mutabilis

Definetely there are some others that I forgot, so if you are interested in any particular ones, just ask and I will try to answer. I have experience with several hundred different varieties old and modern.

If you are interested in oncebloomers the choices are unlimited. There are tonns of ramblers, gallicas, albas, early yellows, spinisissimas, etc. If you are interested let me know and I will make another list.

Olga

• vettin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Olga! I am definitely interested in once bloomers - since you mentioned the choices are unlimited should I be asking for which ones to avoid instead of which ones will be ok of the oncebloomers?

I do like ramblers, gallicas and albas - not so much the single petaled roses.

Do any HTs get bs and still survive in this area no spray? I was under the impression that all HTs got bs badly enough here to not make it...Of course as a rose newbie - I am sure there are some HTs that I am not even classifying correctly.

Thank you!

• cecily
    15 years ago

I've gardened in Stafford county and now Prince William county. My fave no-spray roses are...
    teas - Mons Tillier, Marie van Houtte
    polys - Caldwell Pink/Pink Pet, Clothilde Soupert

Gen Galleini looks good so far (two years old, little BS)
    Fields of the Wood looks pretty good (two years old, some BS)

There are some older HTs like Radiance and Lafter that have moderately good BS resistance. Modern HTs can survive without fungicide but they look like bare, thorny sticks from June - September then they grow new leaves in September for a fall flush.

• olga_6b
    15 years ago

I had different experience with Mons Tillier here. I actually tried it twice, first one got BS that weakened it to the point that it died in its first winter, second one I sprayed for two years and it was fine and then I stopped spraying and it declined too.
    Caldwell pink is definetely good one for me too. I forgot this one.
    Fields of the Wood, still feel guilty about this one. I read so many good reviews on this one from southern people that I decided to try, and also convinced several of my friends (that is where my guilt is coming). Three of us each bought FoW. I actually even bought two, FoW and Rode Island Red, which I heard could be the same rose. Well to make story short, they are not the same, but both got BS badly. Two of my friends (experienced rosarians, not newbies) also didn't have good luck. One was lost during its first winter, it was weak and diseased in the fall. Another one in different garden got BS similar to my and is dragging its feet now. My friend wants to give it three years, but so far it is looking bad.
    Vettin,
    I will post a list of my favorite oncebloomers a little later, have to run now.
    Olga

• olga_6b
    15 years ago

If you don't want single blooms ( I personally love them) here would be my favorites:

Ramblers and climbers:
    Veilchenblau
    Climbing American Beauty ( can get some BS, but what a fragrance)
    Alberic Barbier
    Albertine
    Alexander Girault
    Débutante
    Paul Transon

Gallicas:
    Charles de Mills (gets some spots, but still one of the best)
    Ipsilante
    Dic de Guiche
    Belle sans Flatterie
    Alice Vena
    The Bishop
    Beau Narcisse
    Oeillet Flamand

Albas: Alba
    Alba Maxima
    Konigin von Danemark

Damask
    Ispahan

Centifolia
    Shailer's Provence

Hybrid Perpetual
    Jaques Cartier (will get BS here, but still looksdecent and blooms a lot)- sometimes classified as HP, sometimes as Portland

If you need more names, I will give you more:)

Olga

• solicitr
    15 years ago

What, no Old Blush? I planted this ironclad stud China for my brother in Falls Church, and there as here it laughs at blackspot like John Cleese mocking Chapman's Arthur.

In Richmond, a little south, Reve d'Or is virtually clean. Any of the Rugosas. Sombreuil (cl.) and Duchesse de Brabant lose a few leaves, but not enough to be a problem.

• michaelg
    15 years ago

As you move from the Deep South into the highlands, or north into the DC area, many roses that were resistant become highly susceptible.

Old Blush in Asheville NC, if unsprayed, is not completely defoliated by BS only because it grows so fast. Six feet of bare legs and two feet of leaves/buds, really unattractive. Also Mutabilis and many tea roses are susceptible here.

If Patrick D reads this, I'd be glad for an update on his tea rose experiments.

• olga_6b
    15 years ago

Yes, Old blush is not so ironclad here for me. Similar experience to Michael's.
    Rugosas are a mixed bad. Not heavily hybridised one are healthy. Examples are: Rugosa Alba, Rubra, Polareis, Roseraie de l'Haÿ, some from pavement series. Overall good number of healthy rugosas here.
    Hybrids with more modern blood are not healthy here.
    Hansa can be healthy some years and some years a complete disaster.
    Olga

• vettin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone! Olga - if you have the patience to post more names as you think of them - that would be great, if not I understand!

Off to compare photos of the above on hmf and on gardenweb of course...

• rjlinva
    15 years ago

Vettin,

I'm a bit further south...closer to Richmond. Let me say that I take EVERY suggestion that Olga recommends. She knows what she is talking about.

Robert

• sergeantcuff
    15 years ago

I am about 30 miles north of Olga. Some roses that have been absolutely clean for me include:

Henri Martin
    Madame Plantier
    Rosa Mundi
    Marchesa Bochella (same rose as Jacques Cartier?)
    Charles de Mills
    Charles Albanel
    rosa Virginiana
    Queen of Denmark
    Roseraie de l'Hay

I hope that more roses of my roses will join this list, but they are too new to judge. I do not spray, and do not have any bad BS problems, but I only have about 40 roses and they are spread out from each other.

• michaelg
    15 years ago

Did Olga omit Mme. Plantier on purpose?

Are Perle d'Or and bush Cécile Brunner cane hardy in Eastern winters with low of 5 F?

• olga_6b
    15 years ago

Cecille Brunner is more hardy then PdO, both have some dieback, but not too bad, especially for CB it is minimal.
    Mme Plantier in my experience has decent resistance, not completely free of disease, but still quite good. I would say similar amount of BS to Quitness or Carefree Sunshine.
    Can be too big for small yard, that was my issue with this rose, it wants to be a monster.
    Olga

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz