Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What does the real seven sisters rose look like?

Posted by Alana7bSC 7b-8 (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 10:20

I got a piece of this rose from off my dads property, thats been their since he bought the farm from his graddad. He said it's seven sisters is what they called it, but I know this is a really misidentified rose. So I was wondering if anyone could tell me , how to tell if it's the real thing or not. I don't have no pictures, but if you could tell me leaf count, thorns, ect. or show me a good pic that would be helpful. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What does the real seven sisters rose look like?

If you search "Seven SIsters" on Help Me Find / Roses, there are a few roses that are called Seven Sisters. One is a pink Multiflora and the other is a white Hybrid Sempervirens. And then there are a couple of other found ones, including one listed as from South Carolina.

I happened to ask last week about a rose cutting I picked up last year. And it turns out to be Felicite et Perpetue or...Seven Sisters (the white one) And the wonderful people of the forum knew who it was.

Here is a link that might be useful: When I asked

o

Laure Davoust is a similar hybrid multiflora, sometimes mistaken for Seven Sisters or Multiflora Carnea. Compare pictures of your rose to Helpmefind pictures of all these, and you should be able to tell if yours is the real thing.
Jill

o

Thanks Kippy, can't remember the exact color. It is about to bloom so I will check. I know it is seven leafed and thorny. I think it's a light pink, and fades white.

o

Jill, Laure Davoust looks is very similar, but I noticed she's five leaved and mine is seven, so I'll wait untill my dads blooms and look at it and take it from there, but thanks she's probably one that my moms collected! I was talking to her about it today and she told me she had three different one that start off pink and go white that she got from people, off the side of the road and in the woods. :) she loves roses as well

o

mmm. I remember this coming up during my college years because they had a huge pergola of this was was periodically disputed. My lecturer emphasised that the flowers are very similar to other multiflora roses....but the leaves were the key to the ident - huge, almost roughly rugose things, which are almost a bit downy.

o

Here's the leaves, they are a little droopy from the transplant.

o

Kippy I notice my thorns are similar to your, they are red and hook down.

o

The pic does not look like it to me. The real 'Seven Sisters' has really unique leaves -- the leaflets are convexly puffed up, like the top half of a pillow, rather than lying flat, and they are covered with a fine fuzz of hairs. I don't know of another rose that looks like that.

Here is a link that might be useful: more photos of Seven Sisters

o

Malcolm, which is the real Seven Sisters?

HMF lists several.

Alana, yes the red thorns hook down on mine.

o

Kippy, it is generally agreed that it is Rosa multiflora platyphylla, as painted by Redouté, and as sold by the Antique Rose Emporium and Vintage Gardens. Of course countlessly many other roses get called by the name, so that it often just means "a rose whose name I don't happen to know at the moment." But this one seems to be the "real" thing.

This post was edited by malcolm_manners on Wed, May 1, 13 at 22:15

o

yes, like pillows - exactly.
I remember them now!

o

Thanks Malcolm, I think I have what Kippy has.

o

Thank you Malcolm!

How confusing for so many to have the same common name, but I can see how that can happen over time and with people trying to remember what they brought with them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here