Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alana8asc

What does the real seven sisters rose look like?

Alana8aSC
10 years ago

I got a piece of this rose from off my dads property, thats been their since he bought the farm from his graddad. He said it's seven sisters is what they called it, but I know this is a really misidentified rose. So I was wondering if anyone could tell me , how to tell if it's the real thing or not. I don't have no pictures, but if you could tell me leaf count, thorns, ect. or show me a good pic that would be helpful. Thanks!

Comments (17)

• Kippy
    10 years ago

If you search "Seven SIsters" on Help Me Find / Roses, there are a few roses that are called Seven Sisters. One is a pink Multiflora and the other is a white Hybrid Sempervirens. And then there are a couple of other found ones, including one listed as from South Carolina.

I happened to ask last week about a rose cutting I picked up last year. And it turns out to be Felicite et Perpetue or...Seven Sisters (the white one) And the wonderful people of the forum knew who it was.

Here is a link that might be useful: When I asked

• jill_perry_gw
    10 years ago

Laure Davoust is a similar hybrid multiflora, sometimes mistaken for Seven Sisters or Multiflora Carnea. Compare pictures of your rose to Helpmefind pictures of all these, and you should be able to tell if yours is the real thing.
    Jill

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kippy, can't remember the exact color. It is about to bloom so I will check. I know it is seven leafed and thorny. I think it's a light pink, and fades white.

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jill, Laure Davoust looks is very similar, but I noticed she's five leaved and mine is seven, so I'll wait untill my dads blooms and look at it and take it from there, but thanks she's probably one that my moms collected! I was talking to her about it today and she told me she had three different one that start off pink and go white that she got from people, off the side of the road and in the woods. :) she loves roses as well

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

mmm. I remember this coming up during my college years because they had a huge pergola of this was was periodically disputed. My lecturer emphasised that the flowers are very similar to other multiflora roses....but the leaves were the key to the ident - huge, almost roughly rugose things, which are almost a bit downy.

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the leaves, they are a little droopy from the transplant.

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kippy I notice my thorns are similar to your, they are red and hook down.

• malcolm_manners
    10 years ago

The pic does not look like it to me. The real 'Seven Sisters' has really unique leaves -- the leaflets are convexly puffed up, like the top half of a pillow, rather than lying flat, and they are covered with a fine fuzz of hairs. I don't know of another rose that looks like that.

Here is a link that might be useful: more photos of Seven Sisters

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Malcolm, which is the real Seven Sisters?

HMF lists several.

Alana, yes the red thorns hook down on mine.

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

yes, like pillows - exactly.
    I remember them now!

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Malcolm, I think I have what Kippy has.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Thank you Malcolm!

How confusing for so many to have the same common name, but I can see how that can happen over time and with people trying to remember what they brought with them.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    7 years ago

I'm trying to locate this for my Dad in Maine. His grammy planted it at his childhood home as she was one of seven sisters. He remembers it as fragrant, big and obviously winter hardy. Anyone know which one this could be and from where I could buy it?

• malcolm_manners
    7 years ago

The real SS won't survive Maine. What gets called "Seven Sisters" there would be something else -- maybe Russelliana?

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    7 years ago

Tauschenschon is my guess, but it is just a guess.

• jill_perry_gw
    7 years ago

There are a number of multiflora hybrids that start fairly dark and fade white.. In fact, a number of random seedlings of other multifloras do it, but I don't know about hardiness in Maine.