Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brother_cadfael

The first wiff of 'Sharifa Asma' and others... (large pics)

brother_cadfael
13 years ago

It's a beautiful morning here in Southeastern Wisconsin...

As I stepped out onto the patio and had a morning stretch, the first 'Sharifa Asma' bloom caught my eye and my immediate knee jerk reaction was to say her name in a Ricardo Montalban accent and bury my nose deep in her petals and inhale the sweet perfume... say it with me, like Ricardo, "SHARIFA ASMA". :)

{{gwi:261504}}

{{gwi:261505}}

'Tamora' arrived this morning as well. Although here scent is divine... Ricardo chose not to endorse her as he did Miss Asma...

{{gwi:261507}}

'Christopher Marlowe' heard all the commotion on the patio and perked up...

{{gwi:261509}}

{{gwi:261512}}

{{gwi:261514}}

{{gwi:261515}}

{{gwi:261516}}

'John Cabot' is finding his place in the world... or TAKING it, I should say...

{{gwi:261517}}

'Quadra' jealous of Ricardo's love for Sharifa, thought "This place needs a little eye candy", and kicked up her heals this morning too...

{{gwi:261518}}

{{gwi:261519}}

{{gwi:261520}}

{{gwi:261521}}

Enjoy the show... oh and by the way, it was the Ricardo from Fantasy Island... not Star Trek... I'm not so sure Kahn would approve. :)

Rob

Comments (22)

• lucretia1
    13 years ago

Quien es mas macho--John Cabot or Christopher Marlowe?

• Krista_5NY
    13 years ago

Lovely pics of Sharifa Asma.

James Galway likes to grow tall, mine is over 6 feet tall, almost 5 feet wide. It's a great rose.

• vuwugarden
    13 years ago

say it with me, like Ricardo, "SHARIFA ASMA"

LOL! LOL!! LOL!!!

I said it out loud in the office and everyone looked strangely my way :)

Beautiful pic of Ms. Asma!!!! What's your secret, besides the sweet talk with an accent....

Audrey

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    13 years ago

The pictures are outstanding, but especially Sharifa. When I decided to discard all roses that required spray, it hurt me most to give up Sharifa. The picture is beautiful and accurate.

Sammy

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!

you're cementing my desire to put a climbing rose next to my A/C unit!

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Your roses are gorgeous--I love the trellis under your climber--

From what I've read you must like the "Myrrh" scent--you should try Constance Spry---a great climber with a strong myrrh scent.
    {{gwi:206082}}

Florence

• judith5bmontreal
    13 years ago

Wow, they are all just so pretty! I am anxiously awaiting blooms on all my Austins....they'll be early this year. Lovely pics!
    Judith

• ceterum
    13 years ago

Sharifa Asma is one of my favorite Austins because of her outstanding, fabulous fragrance. Surprisingly her foliage isn't that bad either in this awfully humid climate and the flowers always open as opposed to my other favorite Austin as fragrance goes, Abe Darby, the balling king.
    Your photos are absolutely breathtaking!

• greenhaven
    13 years ago

Oh, Rob, these are SO lovely! I think I am going to have to replace my Coral Dawn with Quadra, as much as I love CD's blooms. :o(

I think we need to make a road trip. :o)

• rosymominzone9
    13 years ago

Beautiful and I loved the Ricardo M comments!

• jaxondel
    13 years ago

Sharifa would probably have been more turned on by an Omar Sharif accent. Her namesake is Omani, you know, not Hispanic. :)

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    13 years ago

How funny! Like Audrey, I said it outloud, and DH looked at me with a puzzled face. :/ Love your pic of 'John Cabot'. Just gorgeous - all of them.

• socks
    13 years ago

Lovely roses! I just bought Sharifa today and put her in the ground, so I especially enjoyed the picture. She's a beaut.

• stlgal
    12 years ago

Gorgeous, gorgeous....I await Sharifa's blooms to open here, especially now that I've seen these (first year plant from Heirloom). My Tamora and Chris Marlowe are also putting on a good show.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

Wonderful to come upon this thread in the morning. Your roses are so beautiful and just covered with buds and flowers. But now you may have to learn Arabic since Sharifa Asma was an Omani princess.......

Ingrid

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    12 years ago

But there is no accent so romantic as Ricardo, and that is certainly a romantic-looking rose. Say it in whatever accent rocks your socks, I say.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

Florence, your picture is stunning too. Why oh why does a rose that gorgeous have to bloom only once? We'd all have it in our gardens if it rebloomed.

Ingrid

• gardennatlanta
    12 years ago

Rob, Thanks for sharing your pictures. I have Sharifa and love the fragrance, too. Right now, mine is resting before the next flush. Glad to see some blooms, even if they are from a garden far, far away.

I can't quite manage a Ricardo Montalban accent but I can certainly imagine one.

Love the pictures of Christopher Marlowe. Is that the usual coloring? What is the fragrance like and how strong is it?

Great looking garden, BrotherC. Jeff

• roseberri, z6
    12 years ago

Wow thanks for the show! I don't see any bug holes!
    if you don't have any sawfly worms,I just might have to move to Wisconsin!
    roseberri

• lovemysheltie
    12 years ago

Awesome!!! Look at the amount of buds on Christopher!

• lagomorphmom
    12 years ago

Careful, Rob. Should Ricardo cast an eye on her in the late afternoon to dusk, she appears to glow. He may well want to carry her off into the sunset!!!

• mendocino_rose
    12 years ago

They just take your breath away!