Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19773911

Anyone growing "Happy Child"?

User
9 years ago

Hi Rosefolks,

Is anyone growing "Happy Child"?

It is such a wonderfully bright yellow, but is it healthy and does it repeat well? Block-spot prone, by any chance??

I know that a rose in your garden may not perform the same way in mine, but I would like to hear from y'all before I buy this one.

thanks,

Avalon

Comments (11)

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

I grow Happy Child, albeit in a much colder and less humid zone than yours so take it for what it's worth. I find HC a relatively small growing Austin (maybe 3-4' tops in my zone), with pale yellow blooms that fade in color pretty quickly. I've had it 5 years and it never seems to live up to its name and be particularly happy, though it's not all that unhappy for me either. I don't get any more BS on it than any other Austin, it's just that it doesn't seem to bloom all that often. I find it a largely forgettable rose for me, and certainly not the bright yellow that it might be for a short time when it first blooms.

In short - it's not a problem for me and fills in some small space without complaining, but I wouldn't strongly recommend it over other Austin yellows like Teasing Georgia or other more prolific yellows like Julia Child.

Cynthia

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Cynthia,

thanks for your reply. It's interesting that you find Teasing Georgia to be a good rose for you- it's the best rose I have! Huge, covered with blooms - very vigorous.

Well, I might hold off on HC if it's not such a good repeater. I'm living in a unique microclimate that favors rapid rebloomers. So, Julia Child might just be my next yellow rose.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I adore the blooms on Happy Child, but it sure was a wimpy plant--both of them since I replaced one wimp with another wimp. Took forever for both roses to break dormancy in the spring, always tagging behind the other roses-- timewise. Had some BS problems but not too serious, but was slow to rebloom. After several years in the ground, I finally spaded the short little wimp.

But I do miss its beautiful yellow blooms--no problems with fading here.

Kate

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    9 years ago

I have two Happy Childs. One is grafted; the other is own-root. The grafted one does better, but neither one does very much. It is a treat to see the sunny yellow flowers on the rare occasion they show up. They are quite pretty, but rare. I am hoping that Charlotte will be better or that another better yellow one will come out soon. They are not too bad for disease overall.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

For what it's worth, Bustopher, Charlotte is similar to Happy Child for me, though it blooms a little more often. It's also small, a slow grower, and fades to an unremarkable light yellow. It's fine as a rose, but I rather expect my Austins to be more than fine. So far, Graham Thomas is more what I'd expect a yellow Austin to look like, but it's too young to see if it blooms more often than the others. From what I have seen, Austin seems to do better with the big yellows (Teasing Georgia & Golden Celebration) than the smaller yellows.

Cynthia

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Cynthia, Kate and Bustopher,

Thank you kindly for your replies- you have all confirmed my suspicions about HC: Beautiful photos but disappointing in real life. There really isn't enough space in my garden for roses that only bloom occasionally. The rapid rebloomers are the best ones here.

I just purchased Golden Celebration- I'll let you know how it performs. If it makes it through 2-3 years here and repeatedly blooms, that is usually an indication that it will survive here. Many roses just die after a few years of the perpetual spring-summer in Florida- there's no "dormant period" and some just need their sleep!

thanks again,

Avalon

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

I've heard the reviews, but ordered one anyway. And today it arrived. It's going into a mixed border, and its "shortcomings" will actually be a benefit in the spot I chose for it.

:-)

~Christopher

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the input on Happy Child- hot & dry seems to agree with it, and that's a good thing. None of the yellow roses in my garden are bright yellow like HC, they're all very subtly colored. If I can find it on its own roots, I'll give it a try.

• nancylee2
    8 years ago

I purchased own root Happy Child from Heirloom 2 years ago. It is still in their catalog.

• fragrancenutter
    8 years ago

Here is my Happy Child: No disease what so ever.

It is always in flower and I cut them all for the vase so not many to see on the plant. You can see lots of buds though.