Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ethel Yount's White

Posted by nastarana 5a (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 11:12

Rose Petals Nursery has an interesting collection of found roses. Among them is Ethel Yount's White, identified by Malcome Manners as an alba. It is not listed on HMF.

Has anyone here grown Ethel Yount's White or know anything about it.

For whatever reason, HMF is not letting me post links.

They also list both Benny Lopez and Pulich Children, both of those not currently available, but maybe in years to come those will be offered also.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ethel Yount's White

It's very probable that they obtained Benny Lopez and Pulich Children from the Sacramento City Cemetery. They certainly saw those roses there. But they wouldn't have them ready to sell yet. Not enough time.

The Cemetery has given a number of rare cultivars to Dr. Manners, and I expect you folks on the East Coast will have an opportunity to get them before too long.

Jeri

o

• Posted by fogrose zone 10/sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Mon, May 5, 14 at 21:03

Anita Clevenger from the Sacramento Cemetery posted on the rose forum recently about bringing Benny Lopez to Dr. Manners. Glad she also brought Pulich Children. Both are wonderful roses.

Diane

o

That is good news indeed that we also might get a crack at growing some of the wondrous CA found roses.

I take it the "Ethel Yount's White" was not found on the West Coast?

o

"Ethel Yount's White" was my grandmother's rose. It grew on her dairy farm in Clarion County, Pennsylvania, at least by the early 1930s. It is very similar to 'Semiplena', and may actually be that rose, except that in more than 20 years of growing them here in Lakeland, 'Semiplena' flowered most years, whereas we have never had a single flower on Ethel Yount's White. On the other hand, we've tried to distribute it far and wide to areas that get more winter chill, and it flowers well in climates that get a bit more winter than we.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of Ethel in NYC

o

• Posted by fogrose zone 10/sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Tue, May 6, 14 at 7:29

That's a beautiful rose Malcolm. I plan to order it. I'm currently growing some other Albas like Sappho, Maxima, Blush Hip and Felicite Parmentier so hopefully my winter chill will be enough for it.

Diane

o

Ethel does look a lot like Semiplena in your pictures, Mr. Manners..

Maybe a sport or a seedling? I just ordered it. I need a new semiplena, the one I have now being not likely to recover from wabbit damage, so maybe I can grow them together.,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here