Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does this look like ghislaine de feligonde to you?

Posted by Alana7bSC 7b-8 (My Page) on
Tue, May 28, 13 at 11:28

I got this rose and it's ghislaine de feligonde or supposed to be. I wasn't aware it had pink on the outer petals though. I thought it was apricot, yellow and fades white, maybe it's like this because it's a baby? and in partail shade? any input would be helpful ya'll , Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does this look like ghislaine de feligonde to you?

here's another

o

Last one

o

well no, not really, but I have been mistaken by GdF's tendency to fade to a very pale creamy white. The kicker for me, in your pic, are the buds - mine are usually the clearest tangerine colour. Pinking, on roses, is so dependent on temperature and humidity that I would be looking for someone nearer to you to chime in with their ideas.
The leaves and growth style do look feasible though.

o

Thanks Campanula, Hopefully someone else can chime in like you said! I hope it's right because if it's not that will be the second one. The other was Mme. Abel Chateney :( This one atleast is Therese Bugnet right? Please say yes!

This post was edited by Alana7bSC on Tue, May 28, 13 at 12:28

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Tue, May 28, 13 at 13:44

hey alana...I just emailed you a picture of mine in full sun.

Tammy

o

Thanks Tammy,
I took a look, guess mines not the right one :(

o

Alana, where did you get it? Is there another rose the vendor carries that looks like what you have?

Also, here are some pics of the buds, leaves, canes and thorns of mine which is grown in shade. Although I am not anywhere close to you, maybe this will help some.

Once I had a Julia Child that bloomed bright orange instead of yellow on its first blooms. I agree with Suzie, bloom colors and even petal count can vary with the weather, and first blooms, too, are sometimes not true to form, anyway.

That looks like Therese Bugnet to me! I love the fragrance of TB.

good luck and I hope you identify your pretty rose! Gean

buds, GdF

IMG_7700

IMG_7703

IMG_7704

This post was edited by harborrose on Tue, May 28, 13 at 18:01

o

Harborrose,
I checked and couldn't find one on their site that matched it, so maybe she will turn out to be right. Her foliage and growth habitat look right, so I'll just wait and see! Thanks! Unless maybe Alexandre Girault?

This post was edited by Alana7bSC on Tue, May 28, 13 at 19:08

o

Tue, May 28, 13 at 21:00

Here's some pics of mine from this afternoon for comparision. Hollar at me if you want me to send you cuttings, I have tons to spare, and know how disappointing it is to get mislabled roses :)

Tammy

GdF photo 20130528_194505_zps39ea7a6b.jpg
GdF photo 20130528_194435_zpsb97a0cfa.jpg
GdF photo 20130528_194446_zps8586cbf9.jpg

This post was edited by TNY78 on Tue, May 28, 13 at 21:05

o

Just chiming in: like Campanula, the GdF buds I've seen have always been in the apricot to tangerine range. The open flowers have been a little fuller petaled/have had a higher petal count. The shapes of your petals look about right and the leaves look about right. However, if the shade of pink coming through my computer screen is accurate, I can't say I've ever seen a GdF quite so pink. I became curious to learn if anyone on the internet had photographed a pinkish GdF, and I found something rather interesting. Roses Fabien Ducher in France carries a Pink GdF which is described as having "all the qualities of GdF but with pink flowers." Does that information make things more or less confusing?

Carol

o

Carol that actually makes alot of since, because like you said everything looks right except for the pink buds. It was actually very confusing to me :) Thanks for researching that I tried but couldn't find nothing.Appreciate so much everyone.

Tammy if you have some rooted of the yellow/ Apricot one I would love some just email me, I;m not good at rooting yet otherwise it wouldn't matter. I'm gonna keep trying though or maybe you can give me some pointers :) maybe I can send some cutting of the pink one if you like, it's pretty big already and growing really fast! I was looking forward to the apricot one so if you have it that would be perfect, Thanks!

o

Wed, May 29, 13 at 18:01

Alana, I don't have any rooted right now, but I'm starting to root some cuttings for someone else, so I'll just do a few extra for you as well :)

o

Thanks! I really appreciate that! Let me know if you want some cuttings of my pink one when it's ready! Your so rose awesome! Can't wait until our babies get big and we can do another trade! Do you have any pointers to rooting? I really want to get good with it. I'm gonna keep trying until I get it. Maybe my soil mix is wrong? I thought it was best to root in winter? Or maybe it don't matter if you know what your doing, huh? :) Have you ever grown from seed, I want to try that this winter, if you have any pointers feel free to email me or respond back on here, Thanks again!

o

Wed, May 29, 13 at 21:37

I'm still in the experimenting stage too...but I'm getting MUCH better at it! I've found that rooting in playsand with Dip n Gro works the best for me. I keep my cuttings in clear plastic cups in the shade in one of those zipper greenhouses on my front porch (so if anything, they get a little morning sun). Then when I see roots, I wash away the sand, and repot them into potting mix. :)

Tammy

o

Thanks I'll try that! I got a little zipper green house to! Is their any certain time of the year that's better? Or it don't seem to matter? Thanks! I'm definitely trying that!

o

Thu, May 30, 13 at 9:48

From what I've been told, right after a bloom has faded is the best time to take a cutting. I usually put about 3 cuttings in each cup of sand, and then one in each cup after I transplant them into soil.

In the fall I do another set of cuttings, and I root those the same way, but in a clear rubbermaid storage bin with the top on to keep the warmth and humidity through the winter :)

o

Alana, I had a rose called 'Mlle. Jeanne Phillipe'. It was supposed to be apricot, but its first couple of blooms were ivory-white with a lovely rose-pink blush on some of the petals, and it was almost single instead of the double it was supposed to be. However, the next time it bloomed, it was just as it was supposed to be, double and apricot. It did tend to get a tinge of the pink at the edges in early spring and in cool weather, though. Perhaps your rose will settle down and be what you had expected - although MJP never had as MUCH pink as your GDF does.

o

Thanks organic tosca but she's blooming her head off now and all of them have been the same so far. maybe next flush could change, IDK, wish I did. :) Guess we'll see!

o

Tammy,
I can't really tell from pictures , but how big are the flowers on her? Just wondering because mine on my not GDF are like maybe 1 inch.

o

Fri, May 31, 13 at 11:01

I'd say theyre about one inch on mine too. A little bigger than the size of a quarter. :)

o

Sorry Posted twice!

This post was edited by Alana7bSC on Fri, May 31, 13 at 13:32

o

Thanks Tammy!

o

I recall mine being a bit pink....

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Altorama,

Did your's turn yellow and apricot after it matured some? Thanks!

o

Adding to Carol's info on the Fabien Ducher Pink GdF, Vintage Gardens imported the pink sport from Ducher and I have a band plant of it. When it blooms, I'll post photos. When large enough to take cuttings, I'd be happy to share. Judy

o

I would love to see pics rosybluemoon. I'll post some of mine when it blooms as well! Mine started turning the right color so I'll be excited to see how she blooms this year! Looking forward to your pics!

o

I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet, because this looks like Ghislaine de Feligonde to me. The flowers on mine, and others that I know, are highly variable. It is not at all unusual for flowers to be pinky/apricot, especially in the fall or when weather is cool ... just as it is normal for buds to be orange and flowers to open buttery yellow and fade to cream.

o

I'm not I actually like the color :) I Just wanted to see her pics and all , looking forward to see how she looks this year! This is a old thread :) I'm happy to know she changes with the weather!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here