Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kippy_the_hippy

New Rose Spotted at Home Depot

Kippy
9 years ago

Yesterday while browsing the plants at home depot I discovered a brand new rose......so new it is not on HMF

Red Iceberg. :)

Looks a lot like Red Lady Banks and is from the same distributor

Or maybe they potted up the good doctor

This post was edited by Kippy-the-Hippy on Tue, May 13, 14 at 15:06

Comments (15)

• roseseek
    9 years ago

They seriously tagged it "Red Iceberg"? "Red Lady Banks" is absolutely Red Ribbons. More "marketing" at work. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Ribbons

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

I had Red Ribbons at the old house. It was really good. I should have brought it with me but the home buyers wanted it so I left it.

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If I run up there today I will take a photo

I am tempted to buy the plant and then write a letter to Home Depot about false advertising.

They are in the Vigaro 1g pots by the real 1g icebergs.

Is 'Red Ribbons' good on own root or in the shade?

I hate to give Vigaro my money for even a short time. But I would like to make sure that HD knows what is going on

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Red Iceburg?! Really? These box stores are recalcitrant. My teenaged students are better behaved. My eyes are rolling. Carol

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Red Ribbons is traditionally an own root plant. It isn't great in the shade, no deep red rose is. Home Depot won't care. There is nothing illegal nor unethical about renaming that rose anything they want. The name isn't trademarked, so no laws have been broken. I understand your outrage, but it is whistling in the wind and a waste of your time and energy. Kim

• jaspermplants
    9 years ago

Kippy, I felt the same way when I saw "red" lady banks rose at Lowes. I'm sure it does no good to contact them about it, but sometimes it just feels right to say something, at least for me. I said something to the guy unloading the truck (couldn't help it) at Lowes and he just shrugged his shoulders.

Don't you just love those big box stores....

• roseblush1
    9 years ago

I was at Home Depot in Redding today and they seem to have gotten around the mis-labeling issue by using a generic plant tag. The name of the rose was 'Red Rose'. Under "habit" the tag said, "It varies".

They might as well as said, "This is a mystery rose plant. Buy at your own risk."

Smiles,
    Lyn

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am friends with the gal at the one by me. I think I will just take a photo of the tag cause not sure I want to boost vigaros sales numbers. I will mention it to her

Interesting they market it as both a climber and a shrub rose and when I read about it the reviews are it is a good ground cover rose. Guess it does it all. From lady banks to iceberg too

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    9 years ago

Red Iceberg --- hmm.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Home depot sells plants and planting supplies. They invite vendors to sell their goods through the Home Depot stores. If a vendor is doing something inappropriate, I would let Home Depot know, and here is why. A few years back I became aware of something I felt was inappropriate. I very politely expressed my opinion to several HD associates. They very politely agreed with me, and informed me that I could communicate my feelings to the CEO of Home Depot, Frank Blake. I shrugged this off, knowing it would be a waste of time. But on a whim, I decided to send an email. I was shocked to receive an answer from his assistant within minutes, and even more shocked to see the situation rectified within days. Encouraged by this positive result, I've since done the same with other companies, always to no avail. In addition to this experience with the CEO of Home Depot, I know them to be one of the most progressive companies when it comes to hiring people with disabilities and chronic illnesses, and working their schedules around medical treatments, therapy, and surgical procedures. I have worked hand-in-hand with Home Depot managers and associates in building school gardens in impoverished areas, creating gardens for disabled and terminally ill children, and other charitable projects. They are an enthusiastic bunch who dedicate their efforts and materials to these projects in exchange for only hugs and smiles. I'm not saying the company is perfect, and I've seen things I don't agree with, but I've also seen changes for the better over the years, at least at my local stores. I have the greatest respect for the CEO of Home Depot, as well as some awesome managers and associates for the good I've seen them do, and it's been surprisingly worthwhile bringing issues to their attention.

But Red Iceberg??? Someone is being shameless.

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

There is a "Red" Iceberg called Black Ice(Iceberg X Europeana). I'm sure that isn't what they were selling.
    Sow What I agree about Home Depot. I know young man who works there who feels they are good to work for.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I think they're likely a good employer, and they're a great place to buy potting soil and mulch. And, sometimes, tomato plants. I wouldn't buy a rose from them -- and that's not snobbery. It's being practical.

It can't hurt to contact the corporate office. If nothing else, it will make you feel better. :-)

• roseseek
    9 years ago

No, it probably can't "hurt" to draw their attention to what seems dishonest, but it won't change a thing. There is nothing illegal about renaming the rose "Red Iceberg", so there is nothing to be done by anyone about it. As long as the plants sell, and/or the vendor takes them back for full credit (Home Depot's and Lowe's standard contracts with growers and plant suppliers), they'll get their money from them and that is all they're in business for.

Renaming plants is age old. Monrovia has done it for decades. In their case, it provides them with an "exclusive" offering so they can advertise it and cover the costs of promoting their "exclusive" offering. Why would you buy their $50 plant with its expensive point of purchase information and "decorator pot" when you knew you could buy the same plant from another grower for less than half the price without the pretty tags?

Few know the name Red Ribbons. Even the least garden savy homeowner probably recognizes Lady Banks and Iceberg. There have been MANY other examples such as "Yellow Blaze", (Climbing Sun Flare). Red Iceberg and Red Lady Banks are no more "unethical" than Yellow Blaze, and none of them are anything approaching illegal. The legality and for the plants to either sell or be fully credited back to them are all that matters to the company. Believe me. Kim

• jerijen
    9 years ago

And, how about 'Fortuniana,' sold as "Snowflake." (VBG)
    THAT,, IIRC, is Monrovia Nursery.

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Red iceberg

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Red lady banks