Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosylady

What climber would you plant on this structure?

rosylady
11 years ago

{{gwi:262921}}

This is a little structure I had built to house/disguise our garbage cans.

I am in Western Washington, zone 8, near the water, so no hardiness issues. We have very wet weather except for 2-3 months in the summer where it is bone dry in my garden. I do have sprinklers here, but the soil is very sandy, so it drains very fast. Also, my yard is blackspot heaven!

As you can see, this area is surrounded on three sides by huge Douglas Firs, so even though the front of the structure faces south, it only gets direct sun for maybe six hours a day.

I have an old house, so am looking for an old fashioned looking rose, in the pinks or maybe white (my house is white).

Thank you. This is my first post! I am looking forward to your responses.

Comments (27)

• Melapatella
    11 years ago

Look at Climbing Cecile Brunner. We had one that grew 20 feet tall and 8 feet wide in a partial shade area of Seattle.

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

Madame Alfred Carriere - all of mine started growing in dense shade - did not mind a bit, just held on until they got tall enough to get some sun - no guarantees of course, but I do not spray, and have never seen blackspot on them.

Jackie

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

Crepuscule is disease free here. Is the strcture wood? It's very beautiful. If I had an outbuilding that attractive, it wold be housing me and a lounge chair, not garbage cans. Oh, I forgot--the color of Crepuscule is yellow/apricot. The color reminds me of tangerine sherbet (which is impossible to find anymore).

• ibheri
    11 years ago

lady banks? but this blooms just in the spring. Its yellow (not the bright yellow, more on the paler side).

• elifant
    11 years ago

What about Iceberg? Zone 5 and a good repeater. Grows 15 plus feet I think.

• rosylady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

floridarosez9: That's funny! It was a spur of the moment design. I had landscaped the entire area when I realized I had to keep my garbage cans there (we have no garage). I wanted a structure to grow roses on, so this little "house" serves both purposes.

elifant: I adore iceberg. It was the first roses I ever grew, but it blackspots terribly here.

How about Zephirine Drouhin?

• JessicaBe
    11 years ago

ohh yea I have seen beautiful photos of Zephirine Drouhin :)

• zeffyrose
    11 years ago

Zephirine Drouhin is a lovely fragrant thornless rose---I'm not sure how it would do in your zone---but I love it---
    {{gwi:205635}}

Florence

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    11 years ago

I think Zephy might shatter too easily if you get a lot of rain most months. Most of my favorites don't do as well with a lot of rain.

Purezza would be gorgeous. It's a double white 'Lady Banks' that reblooms (nicely, for me). It doesn't shatter in the rain, and it's not quite shaped right to ball. The leaves are also very beautiful.

Cecile Brunner is great, too.

One that would work beautifully is a Peter Beales rose called Rural England, but that was from Ashdown, so I don't know if it's available anymore. It's brighter than Cecile, at least in the cooler weather, and she's a much better bloomer. She blooms her fool head off :)

Most of my larger roses that are rain tolerant are in bright colors, now that I think about it. Pink Perpetue is still pink, and she'd work (kinda slowly), but she may be brighter than you were thinking.

• Kippy
    11 years ago

No ideas for roses, but plenty for me on the enclosure!

• buford
    11 years ago

I think ZD will do well, but it's really a spring bloomer. It gets sporadic rebloom. Has great fragrance though. Crepescule and Reve d'Or are both good choices for disease free, RdO is a bit lighter in color. Sombrieul has wonderful fragrance, but is a bit thorny. Vielchenblau would certainly cover that in no time, but again, it's a once bloomer.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Austin's 'Snow Goose', maybe, but I don't know how it handles blackspot.

• rosylady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's interesting about the blackspot because I grow the OGR's Salet, Alfred de Dalmas (Mousseline), and Rose de Rescht in my garden and they never get it. But the Queen Elizabeths, Tamora, and Peace do.

• mmmgonzo
    11 years ago

Pauls Himalayan Musk would do well (I am from Oregon- so totally understand all about the rain!)

I have one, climbing a pear tree and it is happy and healthy as can be. I love the blooms also.

Mme Alfred Carriere does well here also- it doesnt black spot badly for me.

I also have Juane Desprez here- up against the house so it is protected some, and I love this rose!

I love the structure! I am sure you will find something wonderful to adorn it in years to come :)

marleah

• ken-n.ga.mts
    11 years ago

Prosperity will cove that in NO time and stays in bloom all growing season. I have seen this rose eat the front of a house in Central FL. If you want white, this is it.

• ilovemyroses
    11 years ago

I think ZD is too hot pink for that...IMO. I like the idea of Crepuscule...altho I don't have her...YET! Prosperity is good, though my favorite white climber is LaMarque...has a lemony crispness to it, and blooms ALL spring through frost! Takes partial shade well, too. I just got Sally Holmes, and it is thornless/low thorns. Look her up, pale white/yellow/pink ish depending on weather...really old fashioned looking..sweet. and partial shade.

• organic_tosca
    11 years ago

Please let us know what you finally decide.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

What did you finally use? I'd love to see a picture.

4 years ago

It's a dream! What are those hydrangeas by the way? Oh and did you ever come across the paint color for your lattice house again? I know I'd ask before and you said it might come to you so I'm wondering if it ever did! LOL! :-)

• summersrhythm_z6a
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Dream Land from Palatine would look beautifully there. Julie and April have beautiful photos of Dream Land. Not sure what happened to them, they are sister in laws. Here is a photo of mine. The blooms last much longer than DAs.

4 years ago

Summers, what a great idea!!! Maybe I'll search for their posts. Do you have any full bush shots? I have some great flower pics of mine. It is because of you that I got this rose and love it thus far. It has a beautiful fragrance and huge blooms combined with very good rebloom for such a young plant. Mine is an OR from FreedomGardens. It has grown very quickly putting out long canes late in the season.

• Rosefolly
    4 years ago

No shame that you delayed in planting anything. The structure is so pretty you can admire it just as it is!

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

vaporvac....I still haven't found the name! I even went to Home Depot and asked them to look it up under my name but they said it was no longer there. All I can remember is that it was a Behr color :)

The hydrangeas were Nikko Blues I bought on clearance at Home Depot. I think there are about 12 of them planted in a hedge. It takes A LOT of water to get them to bloom so well under those big fir trees.

summersrhythm....I've never heard of Dreamland! It sound great on the Palatine website, although sold out. I can find a link for it on helpmefind...only for an orange Hybrid Tea.

4 years ago

Dream Land also available from Freedom Gardens. I believe those are the only two sources. Peter's plants are own-root. It is a vigorous rose. NB: it is two words.

Thank you for the Behr and hydrangea info. I have the perfect place for them.

• kathyc_z10
    4 years ago

oh my gosh your garden is so beautiful and peaceful!

• User
    4 years ago

It is indeed. With your rainy, shady climate you really can get away with whites and pastels,and they look great!