Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looks like Mutabilis

Posted by rosefolly Z9/S16 NCal (My Page) on
Wed, May 7, 14 at 12:10

This past weekend I visited a friend who lives right on the coast south of San Francisco. In her garden are three roses she inherited with the property, and she would like to know what they are. Someone had suggested 'Mutabilis' to her. I disagree. The foliage is that of a modern rose. The roses themselves are single or near single and do have similar coloring to 'Mutabilis' , but the petals are shaped differently from those of that rose. She agreed when I showed her a picture of Mutabilis.

Unfortunately I did not think to take a picture while I was visiting. Can someone suggest modern HTs or floribundas that are single and have Mutabilis-like coloring? As as added clue, the roses had a bit of rust. I did not observe any PM or blackspot. My friend has not sprayed them this season.

Folly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looks like Mutabilis

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, May 7, 14 at 13:17

Can she email you a photo?

o

Could it be 'Bermuda's Kathleen'? It is a seedling of 'Mutabilis', with similar coloring, but different petal shape.

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF link to 'Bermuda's Kathleen'

o

Vintage Gardens describes Radway Sunrise as having "flowers in the tradition of Mutabilis". I think that I remember that Heirloom Roses also used to sell Radway Sunrise in the 90s.

I don't know what the foliage is like, but Plaisanterie has similarly colored flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Radway Sunrise at Vintage Gardens

o

It sounds like Playboy, or one of its descendants.

o

Single, modern foliage, "Mutabilis" coloring and rust? Sounds awfully like Playboy to me. Kim

o

Yes, I do think it might be 'Playboy'. I've sent my friend a link to its listing on HMF for confirmation.

Thanks for jogging my memory. I knew there was a modern rose with Mutabilis-like coloring but could not remember what it was. (In fact, it seems that there may be several, but Playboy was the one I was thinking of.) And I thought that the rust was an important clue, too.

Folly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here