Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smaller reblooming shrub roses, thornless if possible

Posted by kristimama SF East Bay Zn 9 (My Page) on
Sun, May 1, 11 at 12:21

Hi all,
Thanks in advance for your expertise as I plan out my limited planting areas with more old roses!

I have a fairly narrow foundation planting bed about 2.5-3' deep from foundation to the edge of the lawn. And the lawn itself is rather a narrow strip, so my DH doesn't want enormous bushy overflowing roses everywhere. So I'm thinking maybe I could find a couple smaller shrubs (that don't extend from the house more than 2-3 feet) in any color, yellows, pinks, whites.

I also do prefer them thornless as I do have little ones that play in this area.

Thanks!
-kmama

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smaller reblooming shrub roses, thornless if possible

I don't know about thornless -- I never pay attention to that -- but for size and consistent re-bloom, I'd recommend the true Polyanthas.

Jeri

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, May 1, 11 at 14:00

'Gruss an Aachen' and 'Pink Gruss an Aachen', often sold as 'Irene Watts', are excellent small roses. They have a few thorns, but not many.

o

The miniature 'Cinderella' is completely thornless. 'Marie Pavie' has pretty much thornless stems, but does have those tiny back of the leaf prickles.

Don't underestimate the intelligence of children. They quickly learn which plants it's best not to fall into. My brother and I practically grew up on our grandparents' dairy farm negotiating barbed-wire fences and blackberry brambles.

o
RE: Smaller reblooming shrub roses, thornless if possible?

Oops. Forgot to mention. They belong to the polys that Jeri recommends, but check out the Cecile Brunner clan (Mlle Cecile Brunner, White Cecile Brunner, and Rita Sammons.) Those are smallish and low on thorns.

o

Some years ago, I consulted with a local botanical garden on a selection of small roses for a Children's Garden.

I asked them whether thornlessness was a priority.

They said, no. It was not.
They felt, in fact, that it was best children learn early that some plants have thorns or prickles.

I was reminded of my younger brother, who learned the hard way that you should not insert toy knives into electrical outlets.

Jeri

o

I have over a dozen Marie Pavie. It is smallish and nearly thornless, if not thornless. It smells wonderful and blooms all the time, hardly gets disease. It's really easy to root cuttings, too. It does tend to hang on to it's flowers even after they fade, but deadheading is not absolutely necessary as it keeps on blooming.

o

Austin's Pretty Jessica is a nice little bush with plenty of blooms.

o

Specific polyanthas: Borderer, Lauren, Anda and White Pet.

Sweet Chariot is a big miniature for me. I grow it in a pot.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here