Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luanne_gw

Visiting Vintage's Open Garden (pix)

luanne
16 years ago

If you live near and you've stayed away for one reason or t'other I would like to encourage you to take a hike through the Elysian Fields of roses. More than I've ever seen at once. Not to be missed. The best bloom ever and open only until the end of May, Weekends 10-4, not sure if they are open Thurs. and Fri. this year. Enter here:

{{gwi:263297}}
Park Spouse

{{gwi:263299}}
Time to hit the roses:

{{gwi:263301}}
{{gwi:263303}}
Wander the rooms of damasks,albas,gallicas and Portlands,Bourbons, and noisettes

{{gwi:263305}}
cruise the allee' of climbers

the largest pot ghetto you will ever see and the roses

{{gwi:263307}}
more roses

{{gwi:263308}}
{{gwi:263309}}
The reason we all grow Etoile de Hollande is right here on Gregg Lowery's veranda

{{gwi:263310}}
My favorite view and a last enchanting look and off to Sebastopol for one of those lovely lunches at Pastabella.Hope you make it!

{{gwi:263311}}
la

Comments (29)

• seattlesuze
    16 years ago

Oh you lift my heart! What a glorious show and what a lovely thing to share. Thank you, LA!

Sue

• kathwhit
    16 years ago

All I can say is WOW!
    K

• thorngrower sw. ont. z5
    16 years ago

thanks for the show!!

• jbcarr
    16 years ago

That's what rose heaven must be like. Great!

• roselovr_in_eh
    16 years ago

Many fond memories, wish I could see it now. Thanks LA for posting!

George

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

As I will not be able to see this in person, thank you for sharing these beautiful photo's. You've just made my day.

A......

• lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)
    16 years ago

Rose heaven! Thank you, LA!

• emmiegray1
    16 years ago

It's looking glorious! You got all the 'vistas', including Napping Norm. (?)
    I'm on my way! (well, on Friday I'll be on my way)

a

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

I really enjoyed looking at all the roses. Thanks for posting them.

• wild_rose_of_texas
    16 years ago

So beautiful! Many thanks!

Allison

• emmiegray1
    16 years ago

Oh wait, I see he's reading. I was just flashing back to the photo I took of Eelriver Susan's little guy...

a

• bluesibe
    16 years ago

Ahh beautiful. Can't wait for Sat to see the show. Carol

• mendocino_rose
    16 years ago

We went on Mother's Day. Everything was so beautiful. What a treasure this place is. Thanks for the great photos.

• luanne
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No Andrea, I missed the vista looking out from his veranda. He was very delighted to show me a bouquet of pale pink roses with quilled petals named after him by our own Mendocino Rose. The name was given to one of her seedlings of Mme. Isaac Perriere. A lovely tribute, Pam and so deserved. Thanks for looking everyone, just know it is far more magnificent and tender in person, I almost didn't make it out of the Pernetianas. It amazes me that I can have 170 roses and still be totally charmed and desirous of another rose.The perfumes that float on the warm air are another storey entire.
    la

• jerome
    16 years ago

Luanne, those photographs calmed the entire morning. Thank you for posting them.

Jerome

• rosefolly
    16 years ago

I plan to be there this Saturday. I can hardly wait to see for myself. Thanks, Luanne.

• windeaux
    16 years ago

Oh my . . . I can't decide if I should allow such splendor to spur me to try harder, or to just throw in the towel & admit defeat! Superlatives fail me -- stunning, magnificent, stupendous all seem somehow inadequate. How fortunate you are to live within driving distance. Thanks for sharing the photos.

• jackie_o
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tour Luanne! It must be especially gratifying for you guys who go there for dirt day and help out in that garden. You must feel like proud mommas and daddys.

• berndoodle
    16 years ago

Isn't it grand? I really enjoy all those wildly suckering gallicas, spinosissimas, mosses, damasks, centifolias and albas. I almost never make my way out of the garden of Old European roses. May hay.

• onewheeler
    16 years ago

If I ever get there I might just pitch a tent and stay for awhile. I can use my imagination and smell those roses now. Thanks for the tour, I loved it.

valerie

• marcialene
    16 years ago

Can you tell me how to get to this beautiful garden of roses? I live in Redding. I went last Saturday to Sacramento to the Old Cemetery Rose Garden on Broadway. They were all bloomed out and I was dissappointed to say the least. There were a few late bloomers so it wasn't a complete disaster and the rest of the cemetery is landscaped beautifully so I enjoyed that part.

• carolfm
    16 years ago

Jealous......I want to visit rose heaven with you guys. Have fun. Love the photo of that handsome devil reading a book surrounded by roses.

Carolina

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    16 years ago

I've been back through all the photos 3x now and I just can't think of the right words to say about these beautiful photos...these beautiful roses.
    My mouth is open. My heart is yearning. My, Oh my, oh my oh my oh my. Rose Heaven indeed.
    Maybe some day I'll get there - till then, thank you so much.

Anne

• neroseman
    16 years ago

Hey Luanne: What's the current status of Vintage Gardens as a mailorder nursery? Didn't Gregg have plans to move operations to Ron's place??

• rosefolly
    16 years ago

Retail plants in gallon containers moved to Ron's place. Mail order continues just the same as ever.

Rosefolly

• aliska12000
    16 years ago

Thanks for sharing all those beautiful photos. It's hard to imagine caring for that many roses, and I was intrigued by the rustic look of the structures.

• bettyd_z7_va
    16 years ago

luanne

You have 170 roses? OH,BLISS!!!!!!!!! What are your favorite top 10 OGRs that will live in my zone 7 in mid-Va?
    I'm most interested in fragrance and repeat bloom.

Thanks
    Betty

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

I need a full time gardener and more sunshine !!!

These pictures are amazing----I wish I could see them in person.

Florence

• rosefolly
    16 years ago

Tom and I went yesterday. It was not crowded, which made it easier to walk around and enjoy the garden, but there was a constant stream of people coming and going. Gregg says that Mother's Day weekend was the busiest. Apparently the garden peaked early this year. Normally right now is the height of the spring flush. That had passed, we were told, but it was still about as fine as you can imagine.

Rosefolly