Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big Thornless Rebloomers to replace a Ginormous Multiflora

Posted by kristimama SF East Bay (My Page) on
Tue, May 17, 11 at 12:25

I have a Multiflora (didn't know that's what it is until a couple days ago) in a corner of my yard by my veggie garden. I want to remove it and (hopefully) replant other roses there to fill the void and restore the privacy shield it gives us. (All these years before I got into roses I thought it was "pretty" and wild. HAH!)

It's the only place in the yard I can really let a rose grow with reckless abandon in all directions, but I still prefer it be thornless or mostly thornless (my kids crawl around there as a fort).

There are a few roses I've already decided I like the look of, and wondering how these, or others, might do in this spot. Full sun all day. East Bay, by Walnut Creek. Little or no water once established. Prefer little or no pruning or deadheading needed, too. I would love something to fill the fence up and spread around and go over, if possible.

And if possible I'd love a thornless rebloomer, which is why this list is so short. Am I missing any good choices?

--Climbing Pinkie
--Peggy Martin
--Buff Beauty
--Mrs. Dudley Cross

Thanks,
KMama

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big Thornless Rebloomers to replace a Ginormous Multiflora

Take Buff Beauty off your list. It is a magnificent rose and I love it, but it is far from thornless and the repeat bloom is very moderate.

Rosefolly

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, May 17, 11 at 14:14

Look at a Cl Tea or Noisette. 'Crepuscule' has very few prickles. How is 'Rêve d'Or' on prickles?

Not 'Madame Alfred Carriere', though. MAC has very few prickles but the backs of the leaves have nasty skin-slicing hooks.

'Renae' has no thorns and a wonderful sweet, sweet fragrance, but may not be large enough for your needs.

o

Renae grew easily fifteen feet up into the trees over the lunch area at Sequoia Nursery. How large do you want the thing to be? My Annie Laurie McDowell is totally prickle free, flowers all the time, is pretty shade tolerant as well as basks in the sun, and has been reported to be very healthy from all over. I know here in Encino and in Valencia as well as around San Jose she is totally healthy. She never showed any issues in Visalia, either. She is seed sterile so no dead heading is required. The stems and flowers dry and fall off or can be encouraged with a stream of water from the hose. I love how she flowers along the ends of the canes as you expect a Hybrid Musk (Hybrid Multiflora) to.

It can take her a little while to throw large climbing canes because, like Rosarium Uetersen and some others, she would rather flower than grow. Keeping the buds pinched off her until she begins throwing the growth you want can "encourage her" to grow and develop faster. She is as versatile as Renae, but with more of a Grandmother's Hat look to her. She's available own root from Burlington and no, I don't get paid any royalties from her sales (though I wish I did!). It's rather exciting finding photos of her growing in Germany and The Netherlands on HMF.

If this isn't large enough for you, consider planting something lightly thorned and once flowering like a Veilchenblau or IXL to throw ginormous canes in the back ground with something repeat flowering like either Renae or Annie Laurie McDowell in front to get the coverage and color you want. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie Laurie McDowell on HMF

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here