Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Your Fastest-Growing Band?

Most of us are sadly familiar with the slow-growing ones that creep along at a glacial pace and don't look much different in their second year than the first. However, every once in a while there will be a surprise, a band that takes right off and grows and blooms the moment it hits the ground (I don't pot mine up). I have one such stellar rose, which I acquired from Vintage in March, 2013, Mlle. de Sombreuil. Not much than one year later it's about three feet tall and has five open blooms and at least 20 buds. Earlier this year, it already had about 30 buds. It's completely heathy and has never given a moment's trouble. The only other rose I can recall that grew quickly was Le Vesuve.

Has anyone else had a stand-out rose that took off immediately and has been a joy ever since?

Comments (28)

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

In terms of growth, the most vigorous was 'Baltimore Belle', which grew like a weed its first year.

April 2013

{{gwi:263851}}

August 2013 (four months later)

{{gwi:263852}}

Others I mentioned in the thread linked below -- scroll through to see 'Orfeo' which also grew fast. Mind you, neither bloomed their first year.

:-)

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: Some before and after showing growth so far

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    9 years ago

'Fred Howard' is the first that comes to mind, especially for being an HT on its own roots. 'Diamond Jubilee' was another HT that became very large within two years from a band.

"Florence Bower's Pink Tea" has become a sizable climber in just three years. And, yes, 'Orfeo' put up an 8' cane his first year, in a 3-gallon pot, which quickly became too small (as of this week, he is now in the ground, thank goodness).

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    9 years ago

La Reine (received as a band July 2013). It has 3 upright canes that are close to 4' tall and very healthy.

My Annie Laurie McDowell band was received and planted this past Fall. It has dark green leaves and close to 4' canes.

Sally Holmes was a band I received October of 2013 and it already has 4' canes.

Lynn

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

That's really fast growing! :-) It's a once bloomer, right?
    Where can I find "Florence Bower's Pink Tea" and "Orfeo" ? I love ramblers and big climbers. I don't see them on Burlington's rose list.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

'Orfeo' is a Large-Flowered Climber (i.e. it repeats), and mine came from Rogue Valley Roses.

:-)

~Christopher

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    9 years ago

My 'Orfeo' came from Vintage, Summerseve, as did the "Florence Bower's Pink Tea". With Vintage gone, FBPT is out of commerce in the U.S. at this time, according to HMF (but I see that La Rosarie du Desert now has it on their list -- I'm glad).

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info. I will keep looking for these pretty ramblers.
    They're on my rose list now. :-)

• jaspermplants
    9 years ago

Milkmaid (I posted on this yesterday). It is growing very fast. I hope it won't be too big for the space!

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Indigo, Camaieux, R. Alba Semi Plena, Felicite Parmentier, Queen of Denmark, Botzaris and Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux are a few. Rhodologue was a total surprise! Carol

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I think my Everblooming Cecile Brunner from Heirloom does not really count.

So my vote is for Phyllis Bide who I just got a couple of months ago.

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

Miss Atwood was 4x3 just after her first full year. Also growing very quickly are Miss Caroline and Mother Dudley. For modern roses, Cherry Parfait and Imperatrice Farah were my fastest growing bands.

• smithdale
    9 years ago

Vif Eclat from Vintage, a Louis Lens Hybrid Musk. I received it last May, it roared into life & I couldn't keep it disbudded. It had a bad winter but is now 3'x3', per HMF it should be 2'-32" at maturity ! Very healthy, I love this rose.
    Oh, it's also loaded with trusses of buds.
    Jane

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

My darlows enigma is growing like crazy and is pretty filled out in its pot! No blooms yet tho, but that's just fine

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lynn, I'm jealous of your ALMD. Mine is 1 foot tall on a good day. I forgot about my Miss Atwood which also grew quite quickly.

Carol, I envy your Rhodologue. Mine is small and spindly, with only one bloom since I acquired it in October 2013.

Ingrid

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

Kippy, Does your Everblooming Cecile Brunner re-bloom? Mine doesn't, once bloomer.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

Lilyfinch, You will love your darlows enigma, it blooms 24/7, Nonstop! :-)

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I want Miss Attwood!

Summers, mine is a band I bought this year and already planted. My other regular Cl Cecile is done blooming and the new band is just starting. Not sure if that is due to being planted more recently(other has been in the ground a bit over a year or maybe 9 months longer)

But, since I hear climbers need 3 years before they bloom much, I guess I will not know for a while. But check back with me in the fall and I will let you know what happens.

• fogrose
    9 years ago

The Alba Sappho. Last year a tiny band. This year 3 feet tall and lots of flowers.

Diane

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

The fastest band I can recall in recent years was The Prince's Trust from Vintage. It was easily 2 feet tall in the band pot and I had to cut it out of the pot because the roots were so enthusiastic. A month or two later it's already 6 feet and starting to put out laterals. And that's a climber, who are supposed to be slow to establish. It's doing the same rapid recovery from being cut back this spring, and it's a lovely dark red blooming rose.

Cynthia

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Cornelia has gone from twiggy band to a nice immature shrub with several 4' canes since last November/December. In that time it has had three increasingly better flushes despite its strong growth as a shrub.

Pride of Oakland has done very well in the two or so months since my mom received it from Burling. Every time I see it is startling. It's been very vigorous.

Sydonie has also been a nice grower since early January for me. It has probably doubled in height and tripled in girth while adding at least two new basal shoots to the three primary canes it came with as a band. The Spring flush was very nice and didn't set the plant back at all seemingly. Sydonie went straight into the ground when I got it unlike my other band sized roses which are still in the 2 gallon containers I repotted them in upon arrival.

Jay

• gothiclibrarian
    9 years ago

Fastest growing bands 'ever' for me:

Quietness (Long Ago Roses)
    Robert Leopold (Rogue Valley Roses)
    Cornelia (can't remember where from...probably LAR)

The Robert Leopold was received mislabeled...was supposed to be Gloire de Mousseux if memory serves...mislabeled is usually the kiss of death in my garden as I quickly lose interest with a plant that doesn't exactly fit in with my design, but that darn band grew so stinking beautifully I just didn't have the heart to take poor Robert out. Now he's one of my very favorites, go figure.

I think it's interesting to see Felicite Parmentier make a 'fastest-growing band' list because mine has always been so annoyingly slow-growing (not anything like the grafted one I deep planted years ago). Just shows that everyone's experience/dirt is different.

Cheers!
    ~Anika

This post was edited by gothiclibrarian on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 2:53

• luxrosa
    9 years ago

another vote for
    cl. 'Florence Bowers' Pink Tea'
    I received a band from vintagegardens.com in May 2013, and this lovely climbing Tea rose is already more than 4 feet tall.
    When deadheaded she has rapid re-bloom after her spring flush.
    When I bought my tiny houses with a big garden I wanted a climbing pink Tea to go over the entry sidewalk but the only climbing Tea rose I've seen in person or photos that was truly pink is the climbing form of 'Mrs. B.R. Cant' and its' been out of commerce, to my knowledge for decades in the U.S.. I was so delighted when vintage brought cl. Florence Bower's Pink Tea' into commerce, of all the pink Tea roses I've seen this has the brightest color. It is a sweet thing.

Lux.

• Evenie
    9 years ago

Boule de Neige.

I bought her last November as a band from RVR, and she has already thrown an 8ft cane.

• tuderte
    9 years ago

Buff Beauty, without a doubt. Received May 2013 as an own root plant in a 2 ý litre pot. Now has canes more than 2.5 metres long in all directions and was completely smothered in blooms throughout last month. I've just finished dead-heading and look forward to seeing how long it will take to bloom again!

Cheers
    Tricia

• Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)
    4 years ago

My vote goes to Teasing Georgia, received 4/18, potted up and then planted in ground 8/18. Here it is today. I’m pretty happy with her for just a few months over 1 year! She has also been very generous with blooms. Between flushes right now.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Your Teasing Georgia has grown beautifully. I really like the idea of your nice trellises on either side of the door. May I ask what you've planted on the other side?

• Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)
    4 years ago

Thank you, Ingrid. It is actually an arbor arching over the door. Built by my brother in law, my husband commissioned it for Mother’s Day a few years ago.

On the the other side is a climbing Hydrangea petioralis. The arbor is on the east side of the house, and the far side of the arbor is very shady, so I went with the hydrangea rather than another rose.