Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lori_elf

My favorite time of year

lori_elf z6b MD
9 years ago

This year has been slow to get the roses started. Around my house where it is warmer/sunnier the roses are almost at peak bloom, but elsewhere in the garden there are only a few scattered blooms open, they are more than a week apart. But I love the anticipation and to see the freshness of the garden this time of year!

Here's climbing American Beauty blooming, the other roses and clematis around it and in front of it are still sleeping though.

Comments (19)

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Hi, Lori. That is gorgeous!

• lori_elf z6b MD
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Roses & peonies blooming around sunroom... Munstead Woods, Sharifa Asma, and Marie Pavie.

• lori_elf z6b MD
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cornelia.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Love it! I can't wait for mine to fill in more.

:-)

~Christopher

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Lori, what a beautiful garden! All the roses are gorgeous, and everything looks soft and romantic, which is my kind of garden. I hope you'll post many more pictures.

Ingrid

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Lori Elf, magical! I always look forward to your photos. Keep sharing! Carol

• lori_elf z6b MD
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Michael, Christopher, and Ingrid!

Here is one more showing Quatre Saesons Royale in the foreground.

• hartwood
    9 years ago

Beautiful, Lori! It was your Climbing American Beauty that sparked the quest to get one of my own. (see you at Tufton tomorrow!)

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

Thank you for the tour.

What you describe in bloom appearance makes everyone in the east feel better.

(Did some of your peonies choose not to bloom this year or is it just mine?)

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Lori, your 'Quatre Saisons Royale' -- is that aka "Pickering Four Seasons Rose", or is it the "Damascena Semperflorens" from Heirloom? If it's either of those (or any other repeat-blooming Damask), I'd love it if you could share some cuttings! I've been watching for the two aforementioned roses to become available. After the first flush, if you are going to be nipping it back a bit, anyway, I'd LOVE it if you could mail me some pieces!

:-)

~Christopher

• gringo
    9 years ago

The more I see of that Munstead Woods, the more I want it!

• lavieenrosemn
    9 years ago

You have a beautiful, well tended garden.

• lori_elf z6b MD
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm back from a weekend in Charlottesville and seeing Tufton Farms, which was lovely! It was great to see you Connie! It took all my willpower not to buy more roses after your talk.

Ann, almost all my peonies bloomed except for a few I had transplanted or newly planted last fall which hadn't settled in.

Christopher, I got my Quatre Saesons Royale from Sherando roses which is no longer doing business. Randy thought it was slightly different from the Four Season Rose hence the name, but I now forget what the difference is and don't have the other to compare. This one stays small (it does suffer from blackspot later on and is runty) and I just snap the buds off and not prune it back, but I could try to take some cuttings for you.

Gringo, I think Munstead Woods is my favorite red! I would recommend it.

Thanks La vie.

My roses have picked up in my absence and are almost fully bloom now! Here's a shot with Cornelia, Constance Spry, and The Generous Gardener

• lori_elf z6b MD
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hope I'm not a bore, but here's a shot of my long border just coming into bloom now.

• lori_elf z6b MD
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Charles de Mills is a favorite!

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Lori, all your rose look beautiful! Your garden is wonderful!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Lori, your garden is to die for! I especially love the garden shots with your gorgeous roses in full bloom. Please keep posting; how could anyone get tired of all that beauty?

There's nothing much to take pictures of this year in my garden with the heat and drought. You're going to have to take my place and show us all the beautiful roses in your garden to satisfy our cravings.

Ingrid

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    9 years ago

Lori, how beautiful. Your garden is such a delight, and the large roses are outstanding. I like your sun room too.

Sammy

• lori_elf z6b MD
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Seil, Ingrid, and Sammy for your encouragment and compliments.

This is my 25th year in my house and about 18 years growing roses, but the garden has undergone a lot of change and redesign in the past two-three years. In some areas it still has mature plantings (such as the big climbers) and elsewhere newly established, so I'm very pleased that it still has some charm even with its transplants and winter-dieback issues.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County