Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Munstead Woods' spring colors

Since we've had several discussions about what color exactly is Munstead Woods, I decided to keep a "record" here for future reference. I planted mine last year and it bloomed during the summer--a wonderful purple/magenta--as you can see in the pic below taken June 2013 (which I've shown before).
{{gwi:215625}}

However, some other gardeners reported that their MW was much more pinkish-reddish--more of a dark hot pink, in fact. So what color is MW?

My MW just opened today for the first time this season--and it is definitely more of a dark hot pink than the magenta/purple of my pic above. So that agrees with the other gardeners.

It will be interesting to see if it regains its purple/magenta shades as the season progresses. I will be sure to take pics in June so that we can compare them with the pic from last June (6-6-13).

Sorry I'm too busy right now to take pics and post them. Have a garden tour coming up in about a week, and I still don't have all the leaves out of my beds yet.

If anyone gets really dark colors this early from MW, please let us know--and see it. : )

Thanks.

Kate

Comments (16)

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

Here is one of mine from about a month ago. Very shady location.

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

This is my other in full sun, taken same time. They were planted this spring (I moved last fall).

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Is it just me, or does 'Munstead Wood' resemble a larger version of the rose grown as 'Eugene de Beauharnais' in flower color and form? Interestingly, I've noticed that my EdB is more purplish when it's cool, turning dark hot pink in the peak of Summer.

:-)

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Eugene de Beauharnais' at HelpMeFind

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's been overcast and rainy here today--and already my Munstead Woods is taking on those darker tones. It was more hot pink/reddish when it first opened, but seems to have rather quickly taken on the darker purplish-magenta shades.

Either way, the blooms are lovely, but I must admit, I like the darker and more purplish shades the best.

Kate

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

I have two new MW bushes I ordered as bareroot this year. They are both starting to open now and both are hot, neon pink at the moment. Hoping they will darken up some, but either way, I'm very impressed the number of flowers for first year bareroots...they are loaded with buds/blooms. Thanks Kate for tempting me into trying this one :)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Glad you are enjoying it, Pat. I think MW is one of the best introductions in the past few years. I adore mine!

Kate

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

Kate,
    My Munstead Wood bushes are no longer neon pink :) Both are still blooming their heads off. One is in full sun and one in dappled sun. The one in full sun isn't as deeply colored as the one in partial shade, but neither are pink anymore and both are a mix of beautiful tones. I'm really loving these so far. Thanks again for your recommendation!

Picture is of the one in partial shade and iphone camera doesn't really capture the depth...the color in the picture is closer to the actual color of the one in full sun.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

If cut in tight bud, it will open dark smoky purple in the house. I have one of those in the kitchen right now. Sunlight, and maybe heat, will lighten the color of most crimson roses. 'Tess', for example, is dark true crimson without sun, but bright cerise medium red with plenty of sun.

'Munstead Wood' is a really good rose.

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    9 years ago

Beautiful roses, Kate! Thanks for posting and describing the variations. It's a tricky thing, pinning down the colors of some of these roses, so this kind of documentation is really helpful.

jannike

• Kippy
    9 years ago

How are the thorns on yours? I seem to have some canes I need tongs to grasp and others I can just grab and cut

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, Kippy, I have both kinds of canes--thorny and not very--on my MW. Haven't had it long enough to see if there is a pattern yet. We'll have to keep an eye on our Munstead Woods and report on that also at a later date.

Kate

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

I also have noted the distinct variability of thorniness on this rose.

Folly

• Adrianne
    9 years ago

I planted 3 MWs this spring and they are blooming beautifully already in the deep magenta crimson tones, and they look like velvet. Just beautiful.

The canes so far strike me a little Harlow Carr-esque in terms of thorns, meaning very thorny. I am hoping that changes, but I am so smitten, I really don't

They are also very healthy so far. Being in Georgia, I was already seeing black spot on several HTs, Austins and a bourbon or 2 by April. Nothiing on MW.

Adrianne

• nikthegreek
    9 years ago

I have not noticed any light coloured blooms on my 2 Munstead Woods in any season in my med climate.

The best dark red flower, and exceptionally fragrant to boot, I've seen on an Austin has been on The Prince. Too bad they readily fry in the hot sun and the plant itself is worthless anyway.
    Nik

This post was edited by nikthegreek on Sat, May 24, 14 at 0:24

• michaelg
    9 years ago

'Munstead Wood' is an excellent cut rose. I have one currently that has lasted 6-1/2 days so far in plain water with no special treatment. It may shatter tonight. It has been dark, smoky purple the whole time. Cut it in tight bud after the sepals drop, as I recommend in a thread farther down.

• nastarana
    9 years ago

I had a 'The Prince' in CA, central valley, hot and dry, which performed very well. It did get afternoon shade. I also did not think the bush worthless. I had it growing in a group with 'Falstaff' and 'Othello". Now, I like 'Othello's thorny orneriness, just what I would expect from a successful fighting admiral, but of the three, 'The Prince' had the best repeat and the most foliage and a low growing habit. A complaint I have about many of the Austin introductions is that there is not enough foliage to feed and support the lavish blooms.

I did mean to ask on this thread if anyone thinks Munstead Wood is an improvement over 'The Prince' or over 'Wise Portia'.