Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olga_6b

Please Help with ID. Not R. moschata

olga_6b
16 years ago

I got this rose last year form Vintage. It was supposed to be R. moschata. I thought the leaves were odd for moschata, but I never grew moschata myself, so decided to be patient. Now it is blooming and, as you can see, it can be anything, but not R. moschata. It looks like gallica to me. I tried to check all Vintage gallicas and didn't find any match. By no means I am unhappy, this is a lovely rose and gallicas are always one of my favorite classes of roses. I have good collection of gallicas, but this one is something I don't grow.

Could you please try to help me to identify this rose. It is very pretty and has some fragrance. The blooms are only 2.5" now, but the plant is tiny, so mature plant probably will have bigger flowers. By the way, this is not Belle Doria (another one with somewhat similar striping). I grow Belle Doria and this rose is very different.

{{gwi:265089}}

{{gwi:265090}}

{{gwi:265091}}

{{gwi:265092}}

{{gwi:265093}}

Thank you very much.

Olga

Comments (16)

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

It's one of those used for rootstock. Probably the same one scattered about around here, perhaps usually indicating where a grafted rose had been at one time (as does 'Dr Huey'). They sent you a failed graft or if it was supposed to be own root you got this one by mistake anyway.

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you.
    This is from Vintage, definitely own root. What is the name for this rootstock? I am not aware of any rootstock with this kind of flowers. Definitely this is not Dr Huey.
    Olga

• jannorcal
    16 years ago

Olga -
    I went to Vintage's site and searched for striped roses.
    Only a couple looked similar to your rose.

Camaïeux Reversion seemed the closest match.

See what you think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Striped roses at Vintage

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, I grow original Camaïeux . The leaves are very different from this rose, as well as canes. I don't think this is Camaïeux Reversion.
    This rose probably would not be classified as striped, more likely as mottled.
    Olga

• windeaux
    16 years ago

Could you e-mail a photo(s)to Vintage & ask THEM to ID it? About the only thing I can say about its identity is to agree firmly with you: R. moschata it's not.

It's a lovely thing. I'm very curious to know what it turns out to be. Please keep us posted.

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Windeaux, thank you. I did e-mail Vintage today about this rose. Hope they will help.

Olga

• riku
    16 years ago

Beau Narcisse

{{gwi:265094}}

• paparoseman
    16 years ago

There is a sport of Alain Blanchard which has stripes rather than spots and your rose looks like it. Vintage does not have the sport version so maybe you are the first.

Lance

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

The one (or ones) seen here aren't striped but the striping of yours is so subtle (as shown here) it may not be a normal characteristic of the variety. I've looked into what those here might be a little but not enough to have a positive identification of any.

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you very much.
    Riku, Thanks. I grow Beau Narcisse and this is definitely different rose.
    Leaves and canes are also not the same as Alain Blanchard. I have Alain too.
    I hope Vintage will help with ID.
    Olga

• rosefolly
    16 years ago

Vintage doesn't use rootstocks so it cannot be a failed graft. I really like the look of that rose and would love to know what it is. That is a really beautiful stripe pattern, rich and subtle and velvety.

I do think, though, that you ought to try again for R. moschata. Mine is on my short list of favorite roses. The scent is wonderful, and the bloom lasts for months.

Rosefolly

• winterrobin
    16 years ago

It looks alot like Marbre, except that Vintage doesn't carry Marbre. Sorry, that wasn't very helpful was it?
    Whatever it is, it's lovely. I hope they let you keep it
    AND send your R moschata

• patriciae_gw
    16 years ago

with the white petal base you might try the Hybrid Chinas? They have the thinner leaves and more open form.

patricia

• patricianat
    16 years ago

That's what I was thinking, Patricia, but thought maybe not but just because I really do not have a clue most of the time.

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Patricia and Patriciae. I think this is a good idea.
    Olga

• boisenoise
    16 years ago

I can't help you, but, wow! That is a cool-looking rose!