Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

MORE Hot Hot Hot

jerijen
9 years ago

Actually -- It's not bad now. (Sun., May 4) The heat has abated and so has the wind. Thank God.

Roses are starting to open un-damaged blooms -- but in some cases, the colors are "off." Mel's Heritage is one of the strangest, as it is ivory white. VERY odd, indeed. But while the blooms were ruined, and it was death to a few things in pots, the plants in the ground sure got happy.

http://s2.photobucket.com/user/JeriJennings/library/AFTER%20THE%20HEATWAVE%20--%205-4-14

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses Opening, Post-Heatwave

Comments (8)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Better here, too, but in the sun it still feels very hot. I watered by moonlight again last night so with the cooler temps today it shouldn't look quite as bone dry.

Very pretty pictures, Jeri, with an amazing color change in Mel's Heritage. It still looks pretty, though. My Poulsen's Pink shows no pink, whatsoever, it's apricot to almost white. Mutabilis is a sad sight with yellow and mildewed leaves, not a good combination. Wild Edric looks pristine as always, except that the opening flowers are much lighter in the heat. The fragrance is still wonderful. This seems to be one tough rose. Le Vesuve seems to like the heat, Miss Atwood much less so.

Ingrid

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

My DH and I were in Hawaii for 6 days. While we were gone, first it rained one inch where we live. Then the heat wave came in (90 degrees +). I had a neighbor kid doing some pot watering, and the irrigation system was on, and between that and the fortuitous one inch of rain a couple of days before, the heat wave did not kill anything.

However, the rain ruined many of the roses (many of which were in full bloom), and then the heat wave crisped what flowers were left. The lucky thing was, we have so many bushes which bloom at so many different times, I still had some good looking bushes going. Here is a pic of Graham Thomas.

Today it is cool and foggy and I am going out to wage war on the grass weeds, which took the opportunity to go to seed in our abscence.

Jackie

• Kippy
    9 years ago

The roses I planted before the heat all seem to be doing great. Phyllis Bide, Rita Sammons, Opal Brunner, Perle d'Or and Lady Banks all seem to be loving being out of the pots.

My little pot ghetto all took a ride down the hill to the shade of the oak tree and look good.

But my baby 'Fields of the Wood' is thrilled and suddenly loaded with red new growth.

Purple Splash is very pink splash, but you would never guess it was hot last week if you looked a her. Surprisingly, Munstead Wood looks great too, although very pink. Iceberg looks great and a few of the other Austins too

9 years ago

Wow, one whole inch of rain! That must have made all the difference. The roses in your pictures look great. I know you need the rain there for all your water needs so every bit is precious.

Ingrid

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Wow--what gorgeous early blooming rose--that is the loveliest Golden Celebration I've ever seen and Belle Story is a beauty also, Jeri.

And Jackie--what a gorgeous shot of Graham Thomas--and Kippy, what a beautiful "splash"!

I can't imagine all those roses in bloom at this point in time. Think I have 3 blooms on Home Run and that is it. Hopefully in a couple weeks. . .

Kate

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Since the wind was picking up and blowing the canes in the walk, I picked a small bucket of the Austins tonight. Guess they did not do all that bad in the heat.

I also have a rose I given with out a tag and was told it was a Blue Girl. It sulked for almost a year and a half about being dug up but finally it bloomed and it is NOT Blue Girl! I doubt it is the right color, but it is wonderful.

I also looked down the long Austin row and thought good grief when did I buy a pink Austin single? Then I realized it was Stormy Weather (not an Austin) that had turned from a purple/hot pink color to a medium pink.

in the bucket:
    Big pale pink-PAOK
    Small pale pink-Bishops Castle
    Darker Hot pink-Darcey Bussell
    Smaller Ligher hot pink-Munstead Wood

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    9 years ago

My daughter mentioned the heat last weekend. It seems so odd to have California suffering in the heat since i always think of the weather there as being so perfect. I am glad that the heat wave is leaving, and more normal temperatures will be coming your way.

Last weekend it was 95 in Tulsa. That was not good for us since we have planted new roses, and at least in my case I have not piled in the mulch yet. I was watering each day, and hope all the roses will be ok.

Sammy

9 years ago

What a beautiful bouquet of pink roses. Wish I were there to inhale the fragrance.

Ingrid