Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Celsiana doing very well, even with cold winter

Posted by lavender_lass WA zone 4 (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 11 at 14:00

For anyone who lives in a colder climate, I just wanted to share how well my Celsiana (first year) did this winter.

We had snow very early in November (record amounts) and then a long cold winter and a late spring. Many of the other 'own root' roses I purchased survived, but died back to about three inches above the ground...including my Ispahans. Even Madame Plantier (listed as zone 3) had a tough time.

Celsiana had very little cane damage, despite the cold and a deer nibbling on a few canes in October...and is leafing out beautifully right now. Just wanted to share that with others and I'll post a picture when it blooms :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Celsiana doing very well, even with cold winter

I've always thought this was one of the most charming and romantic of the old European once-bloomers. I'm glad it overwintered so well for you.

Ingrid

o

Celsiana does well here in 5B...probably survives much colder weather.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings blog

o

It's also happy with hot and droughty summers and heavy soil.

o

Thanks for sharing your experience. How much die back did your Mme. Plantier have?

o

Thanks for sharing. Look forward to seeing pics.

o

My Celsiana, from Wayside Gardens back in the 80's, survived and became huge through the 90's with absolutely no protection on an exposed western slope. Eventually weakened, and is now reduced to a few canes struggling on that now-neglected (for eight years) end of the property. All the others from Wayside are long gone dead - I believe that I heard many years ago that there was a problem with their rootstock? Anyway, you reminded me of how beautiful C can be, so it's on my "next year's order" list!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here