Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about growing David Austin Roses at Austin TX

Posted by ppguoppguo 8b (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 14:50

Dear Rose Experts,
I need some help on growing David Austin Roses. We passed by Tyler TX last weekend and I bought some Austin Roses. Here are the list:
Lady Shalott
Golden Celebration
Claire Austin
Heritage
Queen of Sweden
Graham Thomas Climbing
The Generous Gardener Climbing

They all look strong and healthy. I soak the root in water overnight and plan to plant them today. I have a couple of questions here:
1.Is it too hot to plant them in the ground now?
2. If yes, should I just plant them in the pots? But I don't see why this can be different from planting them directly on the ground.

Thank you very much for the help.

ppguo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about growing David Austin Roses at Austin TX

By all means, do plant them in your garden now. Make sure you water them in well. Since it is so warm there, I'd provide them with some afternoon shade for about a week. Place a lawn chair over them or buy some shade cloth and rig up some stakes to attach it to.

Since it is so warm, keep an eye on the roses so they don't dry out during the next week or two--but don't drown them either. That can kill them as easily as too little water can.

You have some beauties there. Good luck!

Kate

o

Kate,
Thank you for the quick response. I will definitely provide some afternoon shades for them.
Can I plant them at places that only have morning sunshine?

o

I've found that a lot of roses prefer only morning sunshine, at least in my very warm climate. 4-6 hours of sunshine seems adequate, especially if you have hot summers that are hard on roses.

Ingrid

o

If you can tend them in the ground as well as you would tend them if you had them in pots, just plant them in the ground they will be better off. They will need constant watering at first but obviously less than if they were in pots. Providing total shade for the first few days is a good idea.
Nik

This post was edited by nikthegreek on Mon, May 5, 14 at 16:19

o

Thank you very much, Ingrid and Nik.
I will follow all these suggestions.

ppguo

o

PPguo--morning sun is great for roses and most other sun-lovers.

Kate

o

Dears,
I am here to report the progress of Austin Roses. I planted them in the ground and they are all doing great. I need to thank for the cloudy and rainy weather we have been blessed these days.
Also thank you all for the advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here