Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

A Good Report Card for Pretty Jessica

I received this rose from Vintage in October 2011 and I must say this (hot) spring I'm quite impressed with her. After a slow start she's shot up and now has a bloom or two and quite a few buds, much better than last year. The blooms seem to have much more substance now and are holding up well to the heat. There hasn't been any sign of disease on this rose and overall I'm very pleased with its performance. I thought this rose might be better suited to cooler climates but I'm happy to see it's performing well in my demanding heat-retaining garden. I don't know how the roses stand it; after five minutes out there at 10 am I had to beat a hasty retreat.

Ingrid

Comments (5)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

My Pretty Jessica had to take about 3 years before it started really producing blooms and lots of them. Slow-starter, but very reliable once it gets going--and I think those must be the most fully-packed buds in my garden!

Kate

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Ingrid - It is a very pretty rose, glad to know yours is doing good. Would love to see pictures.

• fogrose
    9 years ago

I've really wanted this rose but with my dreadful track record with Austins I'm still hesitant.

I had gone as far as ordering a 5 gallon from Rogue Valley figuring if it was that mature it might help but it turned out there really wasn't one available.

Glad it's doing well for you Ingrid.

Diane

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Diane, our conditions are so different that I wouldn't presume to recommend this rose, but of the ones I've grown (and also failed with), PJ has surpassed even good roses such as Bishop's Castle, Potter and More and Sophy's Rose in that its thick leaves seem, so far it least, to be immune to disease. If you like pink, cupped and fragrant Austins, this might be one to consider.

I'll take pictures when more of the buds have matured into flowers.

Ingrid

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    9 years ago

I've had Pretty Jessica for a good 20 years. No disease in all that time. However, she does not bloom very much. Never has. Her flowers are lovely when she produces them, but that is usually one light flush in the spring, with maybe a few scattered flowers the rest of the year. Not a single one thus far this year. I suspect she craves a lot more groceries than she receives from this stingy gardener. I did recently plant a fairly garden tolerant ceanothus near her (a groundcover one named Diamond Heights), which may eventually give her a little extra nitrogen (it's a nitrogen fixer), but we shall see.

Melissa