Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My DA 'Tradescant' has issues

Posted by blocke19 6b (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 11 at 15:25

I have a second year own root Tradescant that has been literally covered in buds, which I have been eagerly awaiting opening. Well this weekend they finally started opening and instead of the full rosette flower, each flower has only 8-10 petals. It was a cool-ish wet spring but I'm really disapointed! The flower color is right though. Any ideas apart from the weather what may be up? Is this normal? The bush looks very healthy, it sailed through winter with hardly any die back and otherwise has no issues. Like I said it is own root, bought from Chamblees. Thanks for your time! I'm still kind of new to rose gardening but getting more addicted each year :)

Belinda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My DA 'Tradescant' has issues

It may be weather-related. I'd wait until the second flush, when the weather is hopefully warmer, to see if this is the case. It's amazing how much a rose can vary in its petal count due to the weather or other causes.

Ingrid

o

I think the term is bullheads, I get it on Tradescant and some other roses. We've had some cool weather in spring and I have bullheads on a few roses. Tradescant, the Prince and some others. I'd wait and see the next flush to see if that is ok. It usually only affects the first flush.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, May 15, 11 at 19:29

Can you post a picture? 8-10 petals is just not right.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here