Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mixing up a potting mix

Posted by sunnysideuphill 5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 12, 11 at 15:37

I have a dozen bands from Rogue Valley, all looking great, most with buds, and plan to pot them into gallons this weekend. I usually get whatever Agway is selling as potting mix, stir in some additional compost and call it a day.

But -
I ran into a friend who is an organic gardener, who recommended something called Black Earth, I think it's Canadian product since the label is in French and English, as a very rich base for a potting mix. I bought two 40 lb bags of it this AM, and it is super dense - not in a bad way, but as if you were crumbling freshly baked chocolate devils food cake. I plan to lighten it with perlite. Any suggestions on ratio, or what the finished mix should feel like? Should I add the compost as usual?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mixing up a potting mix

sunny, is it compressed? We did veggies in containers this year and bought something called ProMox, which was in compressed blocks. The instructions aid to wet it before putting in containers. It is also like cake. But this mix had some vermiculite in it already, but not too much. I'd add about 1/4 pearlite to lighten it up and help with drainage. We also added some black kow, which is composted manure, about 1/8th. I'm also planning on topping the pots off with compost as a mulch once the pots warm up.

o
RE: mixing up a potting mix

Nope,not compressed, but very heavy stuff, already crumbly texture. I've got some very well composted chicken litter, will add a bit of that with the pearlite.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here