Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
portlandmysteryrose

Damasks & Portlands: photos and comments to share?

I've been enjoying Zjw727's gallica thread, so I thought I'd start a damask/damask perpetual thread. Would you like to share photos of yours? I know there are some beauties out there in forum members' gardens--both oldies but goodies and newly developed varieties. I'll start with Botzaris, Rose de Rescht and Indigo. Carol

Comments (38)

• portlandmysteryrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Rose de Rescht.

• zjw727
    9 years ago

I love these roses!!!!!!

I grow Indigo, Mme Hardy, Rose de Rescht and Duchesse de Rohan. Indigo is such a fantastic rose for me, in this climate. I feel the same about Rose de Rescht- I love the incredible scent and the abundant foliage and the way the flowers seem to float above the leaves. It's also tough as nails, and the flowers never ball.

I've been wanting to add Marbree to my garden, but it hasn't been in stock. Someday!

Zachary.

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    9 years ago

Too many beautiful roses; not enough garden space. I guess the house will have to go.

jannike

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Mine are just going into their second year, so they're still very much in "awkward stages." I have:

Damasks -- 'Botzaris' and 'Quatre Saisons Blanc Mousseaux'

Portlands -- 'Blanc de Vibert', 'Indigo', 'Rose de Rescht' and 'Rose du Roi, original'.

Unfortunately, my 'Marie de St. Jean' from Labrea didn't make it last year, and I'll have to hit up Greenmantle one of these days to get another. I'm also looking out to get "Pickering Four Seasons" from Rogue Valley Roses and "Damascena Semperflorens" from Heirloom (when they become available).

As far as pics of what I have, there's not many, and they're not great, but I'll post them anyway.

Mossy buds not-yet-opened on 'Quatre Saisons Blanc Mousseaux'

{{gwi:264456}}

{{gwi:264457}}

Pegged 'Botzaris'

{{gwi:264461}}

{{gwi:264463}}

{{gwi:264465}}

"Rose de Rescht" before buds opened (last year's thin baby canes flopped down this year)

{{gwi:264470}}

{{gwi:264472}}

And opening

{{gwi:264478}}

'Rose du Roi, original' is REALLY awkward this year -- leaves and buds at the tips of last year's thin baby-canes toppled most of them to the ground. Today I propped up the canes a bit, but this was taken before that.

{{gwi:264473}}

Bud about to open

{{gwi:264474}}

And the next day, it opened

{{gwi:264477}}

Today, one flower on 'Rose du Roi, original' opened on the tall upright cane, and interestingly faces the entrance to the back yard. I think it's smiling at me.

{{gwi:267642}}

I'll take better up-close shots of open flowers tomorrow. We're getting rain again tonight, and I think 'Botzaris' will have something open by morning.

:-)

~Christopher

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    9 years ago

Christopher, it IS smiling at you -- you're amazing with these roses!

jannike

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    9 years ago

My favorite, Rose du Roi (of commerce), in its darker, first-flush mode (this photo from 15 April 2013):

• fogrose
    9 years ago

Carol, you bet me to it. Was going to post about my favorite Portland but here's a quick photo.

Rosa damascena semperflorens. More to come about this wonderful rose in a few days when I have time.

Diane

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Sow_What -- Thanks! I'm trying...but I think I'll need at least another year before mine look as full as those in the mature gardens on this forum.

Catspa -- THANK YOU for such a wonderful, close-up shot of 'Rose du Roi -- of commerce'. I've seen it listed for sale at a few nurseries, but the pictures provided weren't very clear. I nabbed the "original" from Vintage last year, figuring it would probably be my only chance at it (since the "of commerce" seems to be the one available everywhere else). I just may have to find a spot to put that one. Do you have any whole-plant shots of this one? My "original" is very floppy right now, but I'm hoping some cane-trimming after the first flush will encourage branching further down rather than at the tips, making them top-heavy. It's as though it's trying to make Damask-length but Gallica-diameter canes. Was yours the same way? Did it grow out of it on its own, or...what did you do?

~Christopher

• zjw727
    9 years ago

Catspa- what a gorgeous rose!

9 years ago

Christopher, I don't have any shots of the whole plant at the moment. The current shrub is around 3' high and wide and nicely branched and upright (much like the Rose de Rescht growing next to it).

It's been a while ago but, as I remember, the earliest growth was more horizontal than upright, a clump of wimpy canes, and eventually sturdier, more vertical canes grew up from the horizontal canes and from the base without me doing anything special other than a little overall shaping and deadheading. Two years ago it started putting out runners a foot or so away from the main plant which are also sturdy and vertical. It's a rose that I have done little with, pruning-wise. I think, given time, yours should show sturdier, more vertical growth on its own.

My "Portland from Glendora", entering its second year in the ground, has just put out a single, robust 6' tall cane, with a cluster of blooms waving around at the very tippy-top, from a plant that is otherwise a 2 1/2' tall clump of wimpy canes. Talk about awkward-looking! I know this one is naturally tall, to 8', but I am thinking I'm going to keep it pruned a bit shorter, if I can, to around 5'.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

'Botzaris' opened its first flower today.

{{gwi:264481}}

'Rose du Roi -- original' as an awkward adolescent (its second year from an own-root band). I gently propped its canes just enough to keep the flowers out of the mulch...

{{gwi:264500}}

...because who could let something that smells so sweet get covered in composted manure and mulch?

{{gwi:264501}}

"Rose de Rescht" gave itself a skirt of thin baby canes from last year which self-pegged under their own weight.

{{gwi:263367}}

"Rose de Rescht" up-close -- flowers on the upright canes are slightly fewer in number, but also slightly larger in size.

{{gwi:264502}}

I pegged the one main cane on 'Blanc de Vibert' last year, and it has buds along its length this year.

{{gwi:264484}}

But I think its first flower to upen will be on a new shoot which sprouted from the base.

{{gwi:264486}}

And that's all I've got as far as Damasks and Portlands for now...unless you want to count Kim Rupert's 'DLFED 3' as a Damask "remake."

First two blooms from last week:

{{gwi:267644}}

And the last of the three buds it put out this year opened today:

{{gwi:264489}}

~Christopher

9 years ago

Botzaris is certainly a tempting beauty, on either coast, but as jannike said, to squeeze it in here, at this point,the house would have to go. This inn is full! (at the moment...)

I also appreciated the photo of Indigo, Carol. I considered it many times for purchase, but most of what I read indicated that it was more of a Zone 8 as an upper limit kind of rose than a Zone 9 kind of rose (Livermore's kind of Z9, anyway). It does have that enticing look of fragile beauty in your photo, and what a color.

• portlandmysteryrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Zachary, thank you for your gorgeous photos, both on this thread and your gallica post. You have great taste in roses! :-)

Jannike, I continually tell myself that my driveway must go. The house, the drive,.... One must prioritize, after all.

Christopher, your garden is really maturing! Even your baby roses are putting on a colorful show. It's so exciting to share in the early stages of your slice of paradise.! You and I, as usual, have wish lists of the same OGRs: Marie de St. Jean, Rosa damascena semperflorens (thanks to Diane), and Pickering's Four Seasons. 'DLFED 3' is lovely! Mine is healthy but has yet to produce buds, so I'm satisfying my curiosity via your pics.

Catspa, beautiful Rose du Roi photo! A perfect swirled bloom. Someday, someone should post comparisons of the two varieties--in commerce and original.

Diane, R. damascena semp. is on my list now. I'm looking forward to your detailed report. I'm working hard towards completing my garden redesign. If or when you visit friends in PDX, it might be ready for a tour. Film noir, art and growing damask roses--not much is better than those activities! :-)

Carol

• lori_elf z6b MD
    9 years ago

Amanda Paternaude, lost to RRD, photo taken a couple years ago. She is a beauty you don't hear much about.

• lori_elf z6b MD
    9 years ago

Another rarer Portland -- Marie de St. Jean. It stays very small but smells wonderful.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

(Sigh) -- I got 'Marie de St. Jean' from Labrea last year, but it didn't survive the transplant. It was my own fault -- I was too anxious to get the rose to realize that late June wasn't a good time to move a rose. I was hoping to catch it again for sale from Vintage Gardens, but I missed out on it. I have two more possibilities -- I gifted one to a friend's mom back in Buffalo, so I could ask for cuttings this year; or I could put my name on the list at Greenmantle. Before I do either, I want to make sure I actually have a place for it, but I might just end up keeping it in a large pot. For now, I want to focus on what's actually here before I start adding more. But I will eventually get that little beauty.

~Christopher

• portlandmysteryrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautiful Portlands, Lori Elf. Thank you! Marie is lovely and near the top of my wish list. Like Christopher, I need to make room for her. Was your Amanda the same as Portland from Glendora? I am so very sorry about the RRD attack. I hope you didn't lose many roses in your collection. If I have any in my current garden (or past gardens to which I have access) that would serve as replacement cuttings, please don't hesitate to let me know. Unfortunately, I have yet to acquire Amanda/Glendora, but if I do, I'll be sure to post that I have her. I'm so glad you still have Marie. As Christopher noted, she's a rare beauty! Carol

• zjw727
    9 years ago

Dew-covered Rose de Rescht, which I love and would never be without. I wish the color photographed better.

Marie de St. Jean is lovely!

• zjw727
    9 years ago

Duchesse de Rohan is blooming!

• zjw727
    9 years ago

Fully open

• zjw727
    9 years ago

Floating.

• organic_tosca
    9 years ago

'Botzaris' is incredibly beautiful! I had never heard of it or seen it. Thank you.

• luxrosa
    9 years ago

I grow mostly Tea roses, but I've been making a Damask Perpetual/Hybrid Perpetual rosebed to add more fragrance to my garden.
    Could you suggest a deep pink, to purple Damask Perpetual rose;
    - that holds its blooms in the heat well without frying?
    -That is disease resistant ?
    -available in commerce?
    Pretty foliage lifts my heart.
    I live near San Francisco, where the blooms on 'Glendora' shatter the day after they open, and I had to shovel prune my Rose de Rust'

Thank you, I love all your photos, I swear I can smell the dew-sweet scent of Damask rose rising from the computer screen. Olfactory hallucination?

Lux

• portlandmysteryrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Zachary, Duchesse de Rohan is beautiful and also, to my nose, one of the most fragrant roses.

Organic Tosca, Botzaris is a wonderful old rose. I love the blush-red on its guard petals and the informal froth of its bloom. Botzaris smells delicious, too. Rogue Valley Roses carries it.

Luxrosa, I don't live in your area, so the ones that work for me will probably fail in your area. I never realized that SF is terribly hot...probably because I grew up with TX summers. Maybe Diane (Fogrose) will have suggestions? I'll be curious to read what forum members near you in CA have to say.

Carol

This post was edited by PortlandMysteryRose on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 15:57

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Here's Sydonie from this Spring. It's just about to start its second flush now.

Lux- Reine des Violettes, Old Town Novato/Ardoisee de Lyon, or Barbara's Pasture Rose/La Reine perhaps?

Jay

• annesfbay
    9 years ago

Hello Lux,

Of course, there is Grandmothers Hat which seems to be (from what I've read here, at least) the quintessential Ca rose.

Good luck on your bed--I can smell it already!

Anne

• mashamcl
    9 years ago

Lux, a deep pink to purple Damask Perpetual is 'Benny Lopez' :)

{{gwi:267650}}

• bart_2010
    9 years ago

Mashamcl,do you find it necessary to fuss a lot over Benny Lopez, i.e.,fertilizing, watering, etc? because according to HMF,this rose needs it! a bit odd for a found rose, methinks...bart

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    9 years ago

Finally the roses are starting to bloom in my z4 area after a very cold & long winter. Here are 2 Portlands in my garden: 'Comte de Chambord' (pink) & 'Rose de Rescht' (red). They have very good hardiness in my z4 area, but they seem to be very susceptible to spider mites...anyone else have that problem with them?

{{gwi:267652}}

This post was edited by wirosarian on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 11:31

• mashamcl
    9 years ago

Bart, I wasn't aware people on HMF were saying BL needs fussing. No fussing here. It gets no more than any other rose: a bit of alfalfa, some bloodmeal, maybe cottonseed or whatever else I have, sometimes granular nitrogen, and regular water. I grows pretty tightly wedged between some big roses and easily holds its own. It suckers modestly and is very robust. I know there have been reports of its getting rust, I haven't seen any.

Masha

{{gwi:267653}}

• cath41
    9 years ago

Lori Elf,

In your photos Amanda Paternaud is beautiful and appears to have large flowers. Does it, is it fragrant and is it repeat blooming? HMF does not list it. Do you know where it can be purchased?

Cath

• cath41
    9 years ago

Catspa,

Indigo survived its first winter here. near Dayton Ohio, with minimum to no cane loss which is a lot more than I can say for most of my roses. Most were dead to a few inches from the ground. It still has very thin wimpy canes but has suckered a little and bore a few blossoms earlier this Spring. Roses grow slowly here so it will be a few years before I can tell what I can expect from it. It is near an East facing brick wall, so somewhat protected, but all the other roses in that bed were in worse shape and some were closer to the wall.

Cath

• portlandmysteryrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jay, your Sydonie is lovely. I'll bet she is as fragrant as she is delicious to behold. If I could find a place for her, I'd grow her again. She is on my list of most loved OGRs.

Wirosarian, beautiful pics! You are growing two of my favorite roses. I've never seen evidence of spider mites and don't recall them in my former Minnesota garden; however, my Portland neighbor suffers attacks of them on her boxwoods. They certainly can attack roses as well as many other plants. I recommended a regular hosing off to my neighbor and that tactic has helped a great deal.

Carol

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I've seen some incredibly beautiful roses here, with that classic "old rose" look, and I want them all. Alas, they'd hate my garden, but what a treat to see so many of them gathered here.

Ingrid

• lori_elf z6b MD
    9 years ago

I think Amanda Paternaude is the same as Portland from Glendora. I can't remember under which name it was sold under as I've seen them used interchangeably. The flowers as I remember them were smallish but very numerous and fragrant.

9 years ago

Cath, the likely problem for Indigo here, I gathered from what I had read, would be that it's too warm and one HMF rating indicated it is not shade tolerant, so there goes that strategy I use for some of my heat-haters. Too likely, too, to be like Reine des Violettes I thought, which here is almost never the lovely mauve color everyone desires but an off-putting shade of harsh pink due to soil conditions and heat. Two of that kind I did not need. Someone on HMF has it overwintering in Zone 5, so it's a toughie that way, for sure.

• cath41
    9 years ago

Ah, I thought that it was the cold you were worried about, not the heat. Mine is in at least half shade, so we'll see.

Cath