Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbutusomnedo

Full Bush Shots of Mme. Berkeley?

Hey y'all!

I recall Jeri describing it as the size of a modern VW Bug and bulletproof. Could anyone who grows it post a full bush picture or two of Madame Berkeley? There's an 8'x6.5' or so spot in just about the last place being redone during the 2+ year facelift of my parents' garden we have planned and labored over.

We think Mme. Berkeley might be the perfect choice given its reputation. Felicia is another rose being considered, but I imagine Mme. Berkeley would be a more generous bloomer. There is pale yellow, white, shell pink, and dark purple in this area, along with various foliage plants, annuals, and bulbs. If you have a different recommendation to go with those colors, I'd love to hear it as well. Thanks as always.

Jay

Comments (9)

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    9 years ago

Don't have any shots of it, but I highly recommend this rose. It has a nice full shape and when it blooms, it is all at once and is covered with these delicate shell pink blooms. Like it so much I bought 2 more........As well as its blooming habits, I love the shape. I have Felicia and though I do love it, the shape of the Mme. Berkeley bush is great even when not in bloom. Definitely one to add to your garden.
    Judith

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Jay, I've grown this rose in another garden and there is not a thing wrong with it, healthy, floriferous and problem-free, but for some reason it never captured my heart. It may have been a combination of color and shape of the flowers, but that shouldn't deter you since it's such a good rose. I love pink that is on the cool side and I'm replacing two of my teas that aren't blooming well with Duchesse de Brabant and Mme. Antoine Mari. I'm not saying you should do the same but they're just something more to consider. A clear, medium-pink color might give your color scheme some richness and an "old rose" feel, if that's something you might like.

Ingrid

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    9 years ago

Jay, I have a baby Mme. Berkeley. I vote FELICIA!
    She repeats all summer with a great fall flush.
    Susan

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Ingrid -- In your climate, I would not grow 'Mme. Berkeley.' In my coastal climate, OTOH, it really is a wonderful rose.

It's like Real Estate . . . LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. In a mostly-cool coastal garden, it's un-beatable.

Jay, I will look at her tomorrow, and see if there's a way to photograph her. She's hemmed-in by neighbors, you see. I'll do my best, because I suspect I have the most-mature PLANT. But after last weeks abnormal heat, her blooms won't be at their best.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Mine is only a year old....and seems to have been planted right under a birds favorite place to sit.......

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for chiming in!

I will add that Felicia could easily be grown up against an old, but sturdy play house in the backyard built by my Grandpa if it isn't picked for this particular spot. There is afternoon shade on the playhouse which may also make it a good fit.

Judith- It's good to hear from someone who grows both. I'm glad the shrub itself of Mme. Berkeley is worth mentioning. Felicia seems so elegant, but Teas are close to the perfect rose for this area if space isn't an issue.

Ingrid - I've heard DdB can be mildew prone here though a good plant is beautiful. I'm unsure of Mme. Antoine Mari's rep here, but it is a rose both of us like. Along the lines of what Jeri said, I wonder if the teas that do well for you -particularly your lovely Miss Atwood and Le Vesuves- just want more heat than is regularly offered here. We did think about a medium pink. Grandmother's Hat and Baronne Prevost were tossed around, but we're leaning towards a larger Tea because of future size limitations. She can probably manage one more very large rose (Tea or otherwise) after this, so we're picking carefully. There would be more room for large shrubs if she didn't pick up two Mutabilis recently.

Susan- I'm pretty sure that if we don't put Felicia in this particular space, it will find a spot along a wall dedicated only to Hybrid Musks or against a structure in the long run. That's great that it blooms reliably in the summer for you.

Unless some other Tea comes to our attention that we didn't consider, Mme. Berkeley will probably be the pick. Rosette Delizy, Rubens, General Gallieni, Gilbert Nabonnand (We're trying this from a different source after receiving GG instead of GN), Lady Hillingdon, and Adam are already here. Adam is looking like it may not be here for the long run. It's quite the mildew-prone runt. Adam's departure would free up a spot for a Climbing Tea, but I am rooting for it to make a turn around.

Jay

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kippy- Ha, the same is true of Rosette Delizy here. I've been disappointed by the "variegation" I've seen on it after a fly-by.

Jay

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Jay, I look forward to it getting bigger so I can take a picture with out the white spots. I am going to hope that mine stays smaller than a VW Bug, maybe 70's Honda instead.

How is Madame Lombard with her? Seems like Berkeley and Lombard should be close by.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Madame Lombard was very pretty in person, but perhaps too much rose for an adjacent spot here. If you have the space I imagine it would look great, Kippy. From my understanding it mildews slightly, but makes up for it with its blooms.

There's some chance that Old Town Novato may work its way into this mixed border. Apparently some cuttings are on their way at Rose Petals Nursery which now ships to California. I don't know of another commercial source of OTN now that Vintage is closed.

Jay

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional