Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

de la Grifferaie

jacqueline9CA
9 years ago

Not all rootstock is Dr. Huey! This rose is right in full sight from my kitchen window over the sink. It is in what is now a well tended garden, but was neglected (except for weed whacking and the spraying of Round Up) for many years. The rose somehow survived, and when I told the new tenant what the miserable looking 12 inch high plant was, she took my word for it. She babied, it, and bought it an arch to grow on, and in only a couple of years this is what it is doing now!

I have one in my garden too, but it grows in more shade and only blooms about half as much, but that is still a lot. Wonderfully fragrant, too.

So, if you have a rose that dies and suckers come up, you might wait a while to identify the root rose - that is how I got this one - I just let it be for three years, and then it exploded into bloom - MUCH nicer than the modern rose it replaced!

Jackie

Comments (14)

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a close up that shows the color variation from when the buds first open to when they are fully open:

Jackie

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    9 years ago

Exquisite! Susan

• fogrose
    9 years ago

As always Jackie, your photos are the stuff that dreams are made of.

Diane

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Mel Hulse said often that if it was remontant, 'De la Grifferaie' would be one of the worlds most beloved roses.

It is heavily multiflora, though -- so can be rather intolerant of alkaline conditions.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the one in my garden - right next to the gate in from the sidewalk, so everyone can enjoy the fragrance.

Jackie

• luxrosa
    9 years ago

I too admire your photos, they are so alive!!!
    de la Griff. is one of my favorite roses. There's a de la Grifferaie at Morcom Amphithreatre of roses in Oakland, ca that has flourished for years,I love how the fragrance lingers beneath the canopy. If you wish to visit it,
    -face the water fountain at the top of the wedding site and turn right
    - walk out of the paved area,
    -go across the service road, within c. 20 feet up or down the road you'll see a short paved walkway, that goes up an incline, that is where a dozen or so Old Garden Roses are planted, at the very end of the bed is de la Grifferaie.
    I try and visit it every year.
    There is also a bed of Austin roses on the hillside near by.
    and a hidden meadow in the woodlands where an enchanting Alberic Barbier holds court, with several Old Garden Roses (pink H.P.s among them) that I've been unable to identify.

Lux.

I was driving to Berkeley Horticulture a few weeks ago and finally identified a rose a few blocks from that nursery that I'd been curious about for years, but we always drove by so quickly, and I thought "could that be American Pillar'? for I thought I saw a white eye, but we stopped and I saw white streaks and it was Gloire des Rosomanes!!! ( as it was growing right into the street I felt no guilt in taking a sample to compare against the G. des R. in my garden) arching over and into the street from the sidewalk, probabaly flourishing long after the scion declined! O frabrous joy!!!
    Hooray for fabulous rootstock!!!

Lux

• Alli Peacock
    9 months ago

jacqueline9CA, if you're still here...what is the size of your blooms on de la Grifferaie?

• Elf Rosa
    9 months ago

It's a lovely rose! Was this common as rootstock worldwide, or only in certain regions, does anyone know?

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    8 months ago

roseseek - that makes a lot of sense - ours came up from where we had taken out an old standard rose, so must have been standard stock, not rootstock. I learn something new on here every time I come here. Alli Peacock - the blooms are from 3" to 4" across, but they tend to bloom in tight clusters of 3, so the effect is bigger. My original plant is still going strong, as is the neighbors. Here is a pic that is only a few weeks old, (instead of 14 years). It has been joined by Cramiosi Superior.

Jackie

• Alli Peacock
    8 months ago

So great to hear from you Jackie. That's why I asked! I was seeing larger blooms like yours mentioned in encyclopedic summaries. My blooms are a SCANT 2 inches - 1.75 - 2.0 inches. Small but almost fully pompom round extending back beyond the base of the bloom when looked at in profile. See below closeup.

• Alli Peacock
    8 months ago

I guess it's possible that the dappled shade mine is thriving in might be a contributor to the small blooms.

• Alli Peacock
    8 months ago

Some of my dubiousness came from this video posted by the new owners of Château de Grifferaie where they show the roses that are "supposedly" named for the Chateau or family. These are not even in the same ballpark as mine. So much conflicting information, granted these are not apparently rose people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GD8VxKIhaU

• Elf Rosa
    8 months ago

Thank you, @roseseek, that is fascinating information!