Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
de la Grifferaie

Posted by jacqueline3 9CA (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 14 at 18:00

Not all rootstock is Dr. Huey! This rose is right in full sight from my kitchen window over the sink. It is in what is now a well tended garden, but was neglected (except for weed whacking and the spraying of Round Up) for many years. The rose somehow survived, and when I told the new tenant what the miserable looking 12 inch high plant was, she took my word for it. She babied, it, and bought it an arch to grow on, and in only a couple of years this is what it is doing now!

I have one in my garden too, but it grows in more shade and only blooms about half as much, but that is still a lot. Wonderfully fragrant, too.

So, if you have a rose that dies and suckers come up, you might wait a while to identify the root rose - that is how I got this one - I just let it be for three years, and then it exploded into bloom - MUCH nicer than the modern rose it replaced!

Jackie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: de la Grifferaie

Here is a close up that shows the color variation from when the buds first open to when they are fully open:

Jackie

o

Exquisite! Susan

o

• Posted by fogrose zone 10/sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Tue, May 6, 14 at 20:42

As always Jackie, your photos are the stuff that dreams are made of.

Diane

o

Mel Hulse said often that if it was remontant, 'De la Grifferaie' would be one of the worlds most beloved roses.

It is heavily multiflora, though -- so can be rather intolerant of alkaline conditions.

o

Here is the one in my garden - right next to the gate in from the sidewalk, so everyone can enjoy the fragrance.

Jackie

o

I too admire your photos, they are so alive!!!
de la Griff. is one of my favorite roses. There's a de la Grifferaie at Morcom Amphithreatre of roses in Oakland, ca that has flourished for years,I love how the fragrance lingers beneath the canopy. If you wish to visit it,
-face the water fountain at the top of the wedding site and turn right
- walk out of the paved area,
-go across the service road, within c. 20 feet up or down the road you'll see a short paved walkway, that goes up an incline, that is where a dozen or so Old Garden Roses are planted, at the very end of the bed is de la Grifferaie.
I try and visit it every year.
There is also a bed of Austin roses on the hillside near by.
and a hidden meadow in the woodlands where an enchanting Alberic Barbier holds court, with several Old Garden Roses (pink H.P.s among them) that I've been unable to identify.

Lux.

I was driving to Berkeley Horticulture a few weeks ago and finally identified a rose a few blocks from that nursery that I'd been curious about for years, but we always drove by so quickly, and I thought "could that be American Pillar'? for I thought I saw a white eye, but we stopped and I saw white streaks and it was Gloire des Rosomanes!!! ( as it was growing right into the street I felt no guilt in taking a sample to compare against the G. des R. in my garden) arching over and into the street from the sidewalk, probabaly flourishing long after the scion declined! O frabrous joy!!!
Hooray for fabulous rootstock!!!

Lux

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here