Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boisenoise

Fruhlingsmorgen or Fruhlingsgold?

boisenoise
16 years ago

The Idaho Botanical Garden has a rose that, if I remember correctly, used to be labelled either "Fruhlingsmorgen" or "Fruhlingsgold." Unfortunately, it doesn't look quite like either of these roses as they appear in reference books or google image searches! :( It has single, light yellow flowers that sometimes have a very pale pink edge (especially in autumn). This rose is only about four tall and slightly wider, although it has been there for several years. It reblooms quite well, quite consistently, in the autumn, although with fewer blooms than in the spring. It is in quite a bit of shade, which doesn't seem to discourage bloom. So, which does it sound most like to you? Fruhlingsgold, or Fruhlingsmorgen? Or something else entirely?

Comments (11)

• emmiegray1
    16 years ago

This is Fruhlingsmorgen. It's very fragrant.
    {{gwi:269793}}

Hope that helps.

Andrea

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

The dark anthers in the center are distinctive and a big part of the appeal.

• boisenoise
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well . . . that looks like the other photos I have seen of Fruhlingsmorgen, but the rose at the IBG has a LOT less pink . . . in fact, it doesn't have any pink at all right now (in May). The pink edges only show up in the autumn bloom. I don't think it has dark anthers like that, either. It certainly looks more like 'Fruhlingsgold' at the moment. Yet Fruhlingsgold is described as a much larger plant, and I haven't seen any reference to its ever having pink edges. :( Wish I could figure out how to post a photo on here, but I'm not quite that computer-literate.

• seattlesuze
    16 years ago

Could it be Fruhlingsduft which has more pink than Fruhlingsgold? HMF indicates that it's a larger plant up to 10' x 6' but otherwise appears to resemble your description.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruhlingsduft

• rachelsgardener
    16 years ago

Sounds like Fruhlingsduft, to me, though it's not a true single - I think it usually has around 10 petals. What a lovely rose it is!

• remontant
    16 years ago

My Fruhlingsgold is light yellow, never pink, and is non-remontant.

• boisenoise
    Original Author
    16 years ago

One of the IBG staff people finally managed to unearth an old map from 1990, and we found this rose on it! Hooray! It is . . . . Bloomfield Dainty. Not sure how it ended up with a sign reading "Fruhlingsmorgen"; probably someone was just giving it their best guess. Thanks so much, everyone, for your helpful comments! Very kind of you.

• boisenoise
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm still not completely convinced: my son is home this weekend, so I'll see if he can help me post a photo.{{gwi:269794}}

• boisenoise
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's a close-up. These photos were taken in the spring; the pink edges only show up in the fall, when the weather is cooler. Does anyone who grows 'Bloomfield Dainty' know whether this is the correct rose? Or perhaps now that you have photos, does anyone recognize it as a different rose altogether? (The record-keeping on plants at the IBG has been very, um, spotty.)

{{gwi:269795}}

• michaelg
    16 years ago

Boisemom has several such queries on the Rose ID forum awaiting you attention.

(Some more pics of foliage and whole plants might help there.)

• boisenoise
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, michaelg! I'll try to add some more photos over there. I hadn't been able to figure out how to add photos at all until just today, when my 16-year-old finally found some free time to help his computer-challenged mom. :) If anyone grows old roses and would be willing to take a look at those other roses on the ROSE ID forum, I would really appreciate it. The IBG asked me to help them ID their roses because I grow a few old roses myself and know a little about them . . . but this task is 'WAY over my head!

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor